Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
We saw this Fine Looking Vehicle on our way to Cal over Christmas.
Don't fall in love with it!!
Dick

It looks maintained and probably paid for, why do folks judges by the age of a vehicle? Who knows of all the fun and happiness that coach has experienced?
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That was my second rv, 1976 Eldorado, took it everywhere. We were never standed or anything. I sold it to a buddy and he goes to Mexico in it all the time.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 40x42 metal building with 18ft eave height, 12x14ft roll up door for mh, two walk in doors, one 7x10 door on the opposite side of the mh. I have an upstairs man cave/wine making room over the shop side. Several years ago, I added a 30x40 ten ft. high eave height to store two antique John Deeres, Kawasaki Mule, Riding lawn mower and other misc stuff. I will send some pictures when it quits raining. Oh, by the way, one of the walk in doors is on the motorhome side with a 30 ft sidewalk to the kitchen door of the house.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
These are pictures of us raising the RV garage with help from family and friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S6301768.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2161   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6301773.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2162  

Name:	S6301775.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2163   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6301777.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	2164  

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:54 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco38 View Post
You spent a lot of $$ and time planning that garage/shop to protect your MH, so show it off to those of us with a serious case of "garage envy" still parking ours outside in the elements and coveting those MH enclosures. Please share pictures and details for those of us planning our own garage. Size matters, right! How big, length/width, eve height, door height/width. Type of construction; steel or post. What considerations went into your planning? What are your strongest recommendations and what would you do differently.

For you "full timers" with no garage, you are excused from this exercise.
Code restrictions limited us so it is much smaller than we wanted but will serve the purpose of protecting our investment. It is 20' X 40' with an eave height of 12' and ridge at 16'. It is all steel construction prefab made by Future Steel, and designed to withstand high winds.
The floor is 3000 lb. psi with fiber mesh and an 18" grid of #4 rebar. Probably an overkill in the floor but it should never crack. Decided to go with a densifier on the floor as opposed to painting with epoxy. The same type of finish you would see at Home Depot or Lowes.
My main concern was a floor that would support the weight and a structure with minimal maintenance. Dont want to have to paint every couple of years. This Arizona sun does a job on everything.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #21

MM,
We are currently on vacation but I'll try to get some next week. Its a simple steel frame of 2" by 2" galv steel covered with painted steel sheets - Looks pretty good, but we live in the country (God's country - Texas) where we don't have to cope with building codes. The sides are open for about 5' up and then closed in (12' total, but they'll go higher). Both ends are open except for the ridge area. Gravel floor extra.
These are available in nearly any configuration you can imagine. You pay for what you get ($6,250 in this case).
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are a couple of pictures of the "barn" I built about 18 years ago. The exterior material is the same as our home, except in reverse proportion. The barn cost about $17K then - hard to say what it would cost today.
It is 22' x 40' - at the time it was built we were in a Itasca Windcruiser MH that was only about 11' in height so the 12' x 12' door was plenty big. We are now driving a Winnebago Adventurer that is 11'10" so it is a very close fit.
The barn has a gravel floor because a cement floor would double the property tax on it - and our taxes are extremely high. If I had it to do over I would go ahead with a cement floor. I have 30 amp electrical service but no sewer. I do have a sewer connection at the MH pad behind the house so it is not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020004.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2211   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC181431.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	2212  

Name:	P4281517.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	2213  
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the contributions so far. Looks like there are more full timers out there without a garage than I thought. Still looking for some more pictures and details of RV garage/shops to torture my fantasy. Attached is a picture of an ultimate RV garage captured in my travels. Show off yours. j griff, I love the barn. Grew up on a farm. Brings back memories.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	2335  

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote