Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Shower drain leak-

I've had an ongoing problem with the shower drain leaking. Had some floor damage last year, cost a fortune to have it repaired. Thought the problem was fixed. Saw some water dripping below the coach, oh, oh. Sure enough, thankfully I found it before too much damage was done.

I'm plumbing challenged. How do I remove and replace the shower strainer? I want to start from scratch and replace the unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	34057

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Now this is an rv rather than a house and also the picture does not show everything. In a normal plumbing environment coming down from the shower normally the tail piece would be inserted into a slip joint then lower would be the "P" trap. Since the bottom of the picture does not show the whole thing I may be mistaken but it looks to me like the entire unit is glued as one solid piece. If so that may have put a strain on the drain where it is screwed onto the shower pan and caused the leak. If there is no slip joint you will probably have to cut the "P" trap off and re plumb the entire setup using all new pipe.

bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Now this is an rv rather than a house and also the picture does not show everything. In a normal plumbing environment coming down from the shower normally the tail piece would be inserted into a slip joint then lower would be the "P" trap. Since the bottom of the picture does not show the whole thing I may be mistaken but it looks to me like the entire unit is glued as one solid piece. If so that may have put a strain on the drain where it is screwed onto the shower pan and caused the leak. If there is no slip joint you will probably have to cut the "P" trap off and re plumb the entire setup using all new pipe.
The opposite end of the "P" trap can be take apart. I'm not certain as to how to remove the strainer from the shower base.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you do anything make sur eyou know exactly what is leaking. HAve somepone run some water while you look underneath. In my case it was a cracked pee trap, when ot was replaced everything was fine.

There is a tool to remove that drain available at Lowes or Home Depot or ACE. IT has a T handle and prongs on the other end that fit into the "spokes" you will see when you remove the strainer from the drain. Insert the tool into the "spokes" and twist and it should unscrew w/o much difficulty.

The pee trap end which goes into the drain pipe after the "trap" should just unscrew it would be a slip flitting with a washer which crushes a bit to seal when it is tightened. Unscrewing the drain at one end and the pee trap at the other should facilitate removal of the entire piece if that is necessary.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Probably the first thing I learned when doing plumbing repairs is "if you touch it replace it" I agree though; verify where the leak is before disassembling anything.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

looks to me like the first fitting is not threaded proper and is going to leak....its really not hard to get the top nut off you can even use a flat driver and hammer it around to unscrew it it you dont have the proper tool...i have done a lot of these in my remodeling days and never use silicone on those rubber parts ans they just squishout when being tightened...and carefull to thread right...
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #7

My advise is to cut off the p trap and plumb again new with all new parts. It will cost about 20$ and some time crawling around. It looks to me as if the black rubber gasket is askew under the shower pan though and there usually is a piece of pipe that slips into the top of the trap and a jam nut tightened down so that it can be taken apart.This all looks glued solid. Please do not use silicone. If it's put together right no additional sealants are needed.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #8

I did as you suggested. Actually I had to saw it out. I can see why there would be an issue with this unit. The platform flexes and the "P" trap doesn't, don't know how I can compensate for it.

Tags
shower