Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Shower floor

I saw a post a few minutes ago about using the cg shower or the rv showers and that got me to thinking about something I was very curious.

Our current RV, Winnebago 31KP, has easy access panel to the area under the shower. I have not taken the panel off and looked but suspect it would be easy to spray some kind of 'something' in there to reinforce the shower floor? Has anyone done that? I weigh in at about 350 pounds (used to be 450 - so making some progress) and every RV we have owned I feel a little hesitant not wanting to crack the shower floor. I know when we remodeled our home bath rooms they (routine) poured in some puddy looking stuff for filling in the area under the shower. Even some lightweight styrofoam corrected cut could help in the support of the floor.

Any ideas?

Gary and Karen Stone - stick home in Texas
LCMS Church - 2014 Minnie Winnie 31KP, 2014 Jeep Gary is N5PHT, Ham Op, Retired from Fed Gov
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
When I have removed ceramic tile from under the shower, I always add a cut 2/4 with a couple pieces of plywood. You can do this making a " T " support in a few strategic areas. Use some gorilla glue to keep it all in place. and enjoy your shower

Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too never took off the access plate under the shower/bathtub until last fall in our MH and am glad I never used the shower. The P-Trap wasn't hooked up. I always thought that it was never used (the shower) it looks brand new.(32years old) So I will have to hook that back up. It has moved about 1/4 -1/2 inch. I see they sell a p-trap that can bend, has anyone used that type p-trap? Results? I don't think there is anything that will fill the space under our shower. I weight in at 250 and the floor is solid. I have step in a few and have had them bend or feel like I was going to go thru but not in my MH. Good luck and congrats on the weight lost. I have lost 20 lbs over the winter Still looking to lose another 20-30 though.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless they have changed the procedure in the last four years, Winnebago applies a measured amount of high density expanding foam to the bottom of the shower pan, then place the pan in a form to set the thickness/height of the foam. It is a very hard to compress foam and our shower pan floor is still firm after ten years of daily showers. I weigh about 220 pounds but my wife weighs less. If it became a problem I would do as Ernie suggested and add some wood supports of some kind.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:30 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Gary....you should look. Some are pumped full of foam and some just have some 2x4 cross braces. I would be afraid of filling the cavity with expanding foam in your situation. The only down side is that you may seal up the plumbing, but in all of my RV's, I've never had a plumbing leak under the shower.

Put some paper down on the floor where the cover is at and fill the cavity. Give it a place to expand to (cover plate) and once it's done expanding, trim off excess and put plate back on.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the posts. I did go look yesterday and there is a nice solid looking wooden floor under the shower floor. It looks and feels very stable compared to others we have owned. There is also a small wooden cross support under the wood support - all together seems very stable and sturdy. Thanks again for the comments.

Gary and Karen Stone - stick home in Texas
LCMS Church - 2014 Minnie Winnie 31KP, 2014 Jeep Gary is N5PHT, Ham Op, Retired from Fed Gov
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote