Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Shower Skylight

I recently bought a rather expensive piece of foam to put in our shower Skylight to shield the sun beating down and heating up the bathroom area. Cut it to fit and slipped it into a king size pillow case. Now I am kicking myself knowing that a king size pillow would have worked just as good as the foam and would have been less expensive. Oh well, lesson learned. When I need to replace the foam, I will buy a pillow.
Barbara

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Isn't it amazing the totally obvious things we never think of, until it's too late?!

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
How are you keeping it up there? I don't think that would work in mine!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

Instead of stuffing a pillow...
Reflectix. I cut a piece the same size as the outer trim moulding. Put a 1 inch square of male/female self stick Command Velcro in each corner.
Goes up in 10 seconds, comes down in 5. Works great as a heat/light barrier.
Also cut pieces to go between the inside windows and pull down shades. Sits in the window track.
When storing our Lexi, interior is 10-15 degrees cooler than it was without the Reflectix.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
I recently bought a rather expensive piece of foam to put in our shower Skylight to shield the sun beating down and heating up the bathroom area. Cut it to fit and slipped it into a king size pillow case. Now I am kicking myself knowing that a king size pillow would have worked just as good as the foam and would have been less expensive. Oh well, lesson learned. When I need to replace the foam, I will buy a pillow.
Barbara
What color is your sky light? Mine is tinted dark and it gets hot so I painted it with white plastic coating and it made a huge difference in temperature. I also put insulation inside the two pieces of the sky light and it is even better. No light shines through but I have lights so who cares. The sky light is really for head room in the shower.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #6

I gotta do this. We had the AC on and could not cool the bathroom down at all. Probably would help keep the MH cool while driving through the high desert next month. Thanks
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
How are you keeping it up there? I don't think that would work in mine!
We wedged the foam into the ceiling blocking the skylight. Then added a tension rod to keep it from vibrating out.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
What color is your sky light? Mine is tinted dark and it gets hot so I painted it with white plastic coating and it made a huge difference in temperature. I also put insulation inside the two pieces of the sky light and it is even better. No light shines through but I have lights so who cares. The sky light is really for head room in the shower.
Tom says the skylight is double layered. A clear layer with a smoke colored topper. We definitely need the head space because we are both on the tall side.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #9

Be careful with blocking the skylight. The heat buildup can seriously damage the plexiglass liner.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Be careful with blocking the skylight. The heat buildup can seriously damage the plexiglass liner.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Which is why I painted the exterior white, cooled it by 50%. Took apart skylight from inside and put in the insulation and put it back together, nothing gets hot or cold in that area now.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I painted mine white, it looks very good and still lets in a lot of light. I'm also going to do what 530ktm did, put some clear bubble-wrap from the inside to give a little insulation.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skylight_6.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	133845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof_5.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	133847  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #12

Ours was a smoke colored on the outside & clear on the inside of the shower. Just yesterday I painted the smoke exterior with some flat black paint. It is now completely dark in the bath area & the heat reduction is very noticeable. Should help the A/C's out somewhat. Also just installed a Magna Shade on the windshield & it works as advertised. May not need a third A/C now.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I painted mine white, it looks very good and still lets in a lot of light. I'm also going to do what 530ktm did, put some clear bubble-wrap from the inside to give a little insulation.

Did the same as Waiter21. Before painting the skylight, the surface temperature on the interior of the skylight was 123 degrees. Twenty minutes after painting the temperature dropped to 98 degrees. Outside temperature was 82 degrees. Still have some light coming in.

Bill
Old 07-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #14

That's a big difference for a small area. Almost want to convert it to a sauna.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, shower