Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Shower surround crack

Cleaning the shower walls, I found a crack in the wall surround, about 8" long. It's not wide but definitely cracked. I don't know how I didn't notice it earlier. It appears to have started from where the screw attaches it to the wall near the ceiling. I think it happened over the past winter when we had some nights well below freezing.

What to do about it? It's up high enough & near the back so that the spray from the shower head doesn't reach it, but it does get moist up there. We always wipe down the shower walls with a towel when we're finished showering. It's a 3 sided, one-piece surround. I don't want it to get worse. I figure it can continue cracking with the coach rolling down the highways. Can it be patched? How bad would it look?

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What kind of material is it? A PVC type of Plastic or Fiberglass? What color is the material? There are more products in white than anything else.
if is PVC you might be able to fix with PVC pipe cement.
Lowes has Epoxy in White and Bone. but its like $20 If I remember right.
RTV will seal it for sure.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you try to glue this back together you're just going to end up with a mess.

What I might do, while you're pondering what to do long term, is consider drilling a small (1/8th of an inch or less) hole at the end of the crack to keep it from progressing.

I'm guessing the enclosure is a gel coated fiberglass, also commonly used in bathtubs and residential shower enclosures. These can be successfully repaired and if done by a qualified and experienced tech you'll be hard pressed to find the repair after the fact. Some of the larger boat yards may be able to do the repair too.

Of course this could be seen as an opportunity to rip the current enclosure out and have it replaced with a tile shower enclosure. I'm sure that won't cost much more than this years travel allowance.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

As above drill the hole at the end to stop it.

What is it made of?

If pvc then easy...

You need MEK methel ethel keytone

Sold at fewer hardware stores but is sold as model plastic cement at hobby stores in a small square glass bottle with brush.

It will instantly bond pvc on contact.

If fiberglass you will need to mix epoxy then thin with acetone to allow it to be brushed in.

Either option requires PAPER masking tape to be applied to area surrounding the crack for drips.

Paper just below tape line.

Do not wipe any mek that does get by as it will smeer...just let it evaporate.

The thin epoxy or mek will wick into the crack with a simple acid brush or syringe

These will seal up the crack.

Fill the hole with silicon.

Down the road you may need to get something on the back side for support.

If you will never be able to pull the panel from the wall you may be able to shoot some expanding foam through your tiny stop hole.

You will need to hold a book against the area to keep it tight as the foam expands and cures.

Photos requested.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you for your suggestions. The surround is different material than the pan. I think the surround is plastic, whereas the pan is fiberglass.

I'll post back when repairs are made.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #6

Floor or wall?

I have a 2011 Bounder with a similar problem. Cracks in the shower walls appeared last winter and it is not repairable as the walls have been broken into several smaller pieces.

Here is what I plan to do;

Many years ago I was in the flooring business. At that time we sold hundreds of smaller pieces of vinyl flooring to people who were replacing their shower walls. Guess what? That is what I am going to do with my Bounder. The vinyl should expand and contract to resist the cold and I ( my wife) get to chose a pattern I ( she) likes.

Here is the important part - if you are going to do this make sure that the flooring is full 100% vinyl. You cannot use the paper backed flooring products for obvious reasons. Your flooring must be vinyl all the way through so that should there be a leak, the water will not soak through the paper and stain the new wall.

Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

One more thing

Be sure to use the adhesive that is prescribed for this type of flooring. Use it carefully as too much may allow the vinyl to become softer and sag. You may be able to talk the local flooring installer to do the job while you sit up front with an adult beverage!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #8

I finally got my shower walls replaced and it worked out very well. I replaced the original plastic surround with vinyl flooring as described above. I now have a shower stall with a really nice tile pattern in colour!
The hardest part was fitting the three walls with 3/8 inch, good one side plywood. I had a flooring installer do the real work and voilą! A brand new bathroom shower.

I took the opportunity to replace the crappy plastic shower faucet with a Moen brand single operator valve and now we have a shower that is better than the one at home!

Anyone who is having problems with cracking in the Bounder / Fleetwood showers should give this modification some serious thought.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
How about stopping the cracking as described by drilling the end of the crack, glue the wall and then mount one of the nice looking shower soap dispensers over the crack. Something like this.....http://www.dispenser.com/clearchoice/

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower