Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Shurflo Extreme Series water pump...

I'm getting low pressure and flow from this pump. Yes it primed. Also, It won't shut off either. I'm thinking it's the pump or the sensor, neither of which there seems to be parts for.

Anyone else had a problem similar? And what was your fix?
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
GWinger.......You need to provide some additional information, like what type of RV this is in. Did it just start out of the blue? How old is it?

You can have a couple of issues, the most often being an internal seal in the pump going bad. You can also have a stuck one way valve where you connect your exterior water hose. When a water hose is not connected, there is a one way valve, near the hose connection, that closes and allows your system to pressurize and shut down the pump. They can get dirt in them and stick open. They can sometimes be tested by screwing in a solid cap where your water hose connects. This will cause the system to pressurize.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
May we assume that you carefully cleaned any PRE filters/screens??? As Don mentioned, connect "city water" - turn on city water and the RV pump. City water should pressureize the system turning off the pump and checking the pump pressure sensor.
Found several kits for rebuilding Shurflo pumps but since we have no idea exactly which pump you have, can't help there.....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Since the title says Shurflow extreme I'll assume it's the 5.7 gpm. There is a screw on the pump end in the center that will adjust the pressure for turn off. Also do you have the high flow pre filter bowl? Let us know if that does it.
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have an extreme, great pump, lots of pressure and volume. First ever i simply cannot tell if hooked up to shore water or not, just no difference in the flow.

For the op, what you're descriping sure sounds like the tank fill valve is on, without being connected to shore water. This lets pump water "run in circles"
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #6

Not that it matters, but this pump (Shurflo Extreme Series 5.7) was orginal equipment in my '04 5th wheel.

The problem, after much troubleshooting and finding NONE with the water system of the trailer, turns out to be 'probably' the sensor on the pump head. This being an older model, with a born date in '03, has no adjustment as described by henderson. The filter/screen is clean also, H. Miller. Thanks for your suggestion.

I did call Shurflo and because it is older than '06 there are NO REPAIRS AVAILABLE. Even though the newer models carry the SAME model number, the parts are different. The adjustment on the pump head, I believe in on the later models. You can't use the newer heads on the older pumps because the sensor is separate from the controller, which is mounted under the motor.

On another thread, someone had suggested 'pleading my case' to Shurflo in an email. Apparently he did in an email to Shurflu entitled "unhappy Shurflo customer". He said, I think that they sent him a new pump at no cost. Some how I don't believe it. But hey, it might be worth a shot.

I think I'll instead just buy a pump without all the super-duper bells and whistles. You know, the so called "high-end" product. A basic pump with about a 1.3 gpm flow at 30psi can be had for about $70.

Thanks for all the contributions and attempts to solve this problem.
GWinger
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #7

Just replaced mine

Tell me if I went about this the right way. I had the 5.7 that was short cycling all the time. I tried adjusting the screw on it and it slowed the pump,but still cycled. I disconnected the inflow and put it in a bucket of water, disconnected the outflow and capped it. It still cycled, so I relaced it w/ new pump. Wala it was fixed.
rtcadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #8

rtcadman,
If your pump had the adjustment screw on the head, it was of the later design and was repairable with parts from Shurflo. I think the change in design came in about '06. Prior to that, Shurflo disowns them. The weird part and one that makes it difficult is that the old AND the newer design both carry the SAME part number while the parts are NOT interchangeable.

So, to answer your question if you went the right way or not...? Hard to tell. One way or another, I think you did need another pump. As to new parts or a whole new and different style? Your call. I think the 'short cycling' was because of a bad sensor.
Just MY opinion, of course.
GWinger.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I installed my first Shurflo 5.7 Extreme pump in 2005. Great flow when they work, but I have replaced it 6 or 7 times (yep, avg of once a year) every time under warranty. I recently had another failure and have reinstalled the original 1.8gpm pump. The failed pump is again under warranty, but I think I am through with them. Some refused to come on, some refused to shut off, and one leaked. I know how to adjust them, but sometimes that doesn't work. I am debating whether to go with the more reliable 4.something model, or try an Aquajet model.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem, turned out to be small hole in the diaphram of the pump. Got the replacement part from PumpAgents.com for $69.22. Easy fix, but bought a replacement pump to keep onboard in case a failure occurs while on the road. Replacement pump was $256.78 and is still in the box on standby.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like AFChap I'm on my 4th 5.7 pump in 5 years.

This one is working fine for about a year now. All were replaced for no charge directly from Shurflo. They told me to keep the last one and throw it away. I still have it at the home place. Maybe someday I will tear it apart and find out what went wrong with it.

Most of mine were leaking.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Like AFChap I'm on my 4th 5.7 pump in 5 years.

This one is working fine for about a year now. All were replaced for no charge directly from Shurflo. They told me to keep the last one and throw it away. I still have it at the home place. Maybe someday I will tear it apart and find out what went wrong with it.

Most of mine were leaking.
I'll bet you won't be able to SEE the failure. It seems to be mostly with the sensor system.

I guess I've been pretty fortunate for mine to last so long given the frequent failure of most. Mine was 9-10 years old. Shurflo wouldn't offer me any compensation for mine because of it's age.
GWinger

Tags
water