Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm having a tough time with my 5.7 GPM, 5900 series Shurflo water pumps.
-FIRST PUMP installed 14 months ago. It pulsated badly and its not supposed to do that. They sent me a new pump. -SECOND PUMP worked fine until around 4 months ago. Then it stayed running when the demand was gone. I kept looking for a leak in the rig-- then I called Shurflo. A design error created a weak internal part that would do exactly what I described. If it was built before October of '06 (mfg date is on the pump label) and it had a plastic ring ( 5/8" thick ) between the pump and the motor, they said it would only get worse. I located a newer unit (mfg date of June '07, and no plastic ring) in Camping World in New Hampshire and they authorized an "over the counter exchange". I was in mid-coast Maine. I removed the pump and drove 6 hrs round trip to exchange it. THIRD PUMP now is leaking water from the pump itself and its only been in use two weeks. The company has new owners and their policies have changed. The service tech I have been dealing with is super--- I'm just getting tired of the remove/install effort while we're on the road. I have located another pump in Camping World in New Jersey. I hate pulling up in their parking lot, car in tow, with the gang (wife & dog) on board and tearing into a small bay with limited access, water running out of lines and putting the coach water features out of business. Anyone else having similiar problems???

Max H
'02 Newmar Mountaire, 37' gasser
'06 Malibu
Wife "Cindy"
"Jessie" the worthless Lab

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm having a tough time with my 5.7 GPM, 5900 series Shurflo water pumps.
-FIRST PUMP installed 14 months ago. It pulsated badly and its not supposed to do that. They sent me a new pump. -SECOND PUMP worked fine until around 4 months ago. Then it stayed running when the demand was gone. I kept looking for a leak in the rig-- then I called Shurflo. A design error created a weak internal part that would do exactly what I described. If it was built before October of '06 (mfg date is on the pump label) and it had a plastic ring ( 5/8" thick ) between the pump and the motor, they said it would only get worse. I located a newer unit (mfg date of June '07, and no plastic ring) in Camping World in New Hampshire and they authorized an "over the counter exchange". I was in mid-coast Maine. I removed the pump and drove 6 hrs round trip to exchange it. THIRD PUMP now is leaking water from the pump itself and its only been in use two weeks. The company has new owners and their policies have changed. The service tech I have been dealing with is super--- I'm just getting tired of the remove/install effort while we're on the road. I have located another pump in Camping World in New Jersey. I hate pulling up in their parking lot, car in tow, with the gang (wife & dog) on board and tearing into a small bay with limited access, water running out of lines and putting the coach water features out of business. Anyone else having similiar problems???

Max H
'02 Newmar Mountaire, 37' gasser
'06 Malibu
Wife "Cindy"
"Jessie" the worthless Lab

Old 10-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max,
I just replaced the original pump (under warranty) by dealing direct with the factory. UPS'ed from campground to factory and back (about $17 from here to CA.), 7 day turn around door to door. Stayed hooked up to city water during the time pump was out.(Til fresh water valve went out, that's another story) Call the 800 number on the website and they will tell you wheather to use the Indiana or California location.

Hope this helps----

Best,

ruppr (using ruppr'2 machine)
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can add that they have been good at meeting my complaint. Mine went gradually after 3 good years, then center ring as described fell apart internally. Sent the part only,no preauthorization or notice, to CA, and got a replacement part, no charge, out of warrenty, by return mail. Put it back together and it's working fine.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #5

I have just returned one of those to PPL Motorhomes Parts. I don't know when it was made (I hoped recently), but it pulsated very badly on and completely off in about 2 second cycles. It was a pain to remove the old pump, a pain to install the new - then the same pains to go backwards to square one.

The worst of it all is the fact that PPL Motorhomes has completely ignored my emails and phone calls trying to get a return authorization. Finally a couple of days ago, I did get an automated call from UPS instructing me to have the item in a box and ready to be picked up that day.

In the mean time I purchased a pump locally, about like the original 2.6 and installed it. (should have done that in the beginning - just wanted the best I could get) Fooey on it all.

Yakima, WA
bingoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #6

Max - Sounds exactly like my experience. 1st one lasted 2 years then wouldn't stop running. 2nd one last about 4 months but kept surging so hard it was replaced. 3rd one lasted 3 months and started leaking around the head of the pump some place - still trying to isolate the leak before calling them again. Also getting very tired of changing pumps even though I have been fortunate enough to be able to do it at home in the back yard each time. As expensive as these pumps are they certainly should last a little longer.
Wagonmaster2
Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #7

Max - can you tell where your last pump is leaking water? Mine got everything in the storage compartment wet before I knew it was leaking but I can't tell exactly where it is leaking and thought I should be able to tell Shurflo this when I call them. From past experiences with them I'm sure they will start out trying to blame the leak on one of the several hose connections at the pump. But I have wrapped each connection with a paper towel (which is never wet) and slid a small saucer under the head end of the pump which will have water in it after a couple hours. I have watched the pump while the wife takes a shower or washes her hair with no sign of a leak. But check it a couple hours later and theres water. I'd like to be able to tell them exactly whats leaking but maybe not necessary - if it can leak around the head they probably already know that.
Wagonmaster2
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #8

I was considering buying one of these. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Take a look at the Aquajet brand of variable speed pumps instead - they seem to have a better track record.

Here is one model: Aquajet ES pump
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Wagon master 2
Mine was leaking from the bottom of the pump. I retightened the 4 stainless steel screws-- real tight and it seems to have stopped. There is a rescessed (common point screwdriver head) screw also on the bottom of the pump-- this adjusts the pump operation. I was told to turn it about a turn tighter (clockwise) to smooth out pulsations. It seems to work well now. The 1st one I had didn't have this pump adjusting screw-- the next two did.

Max H
Old 10-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #11

My only problem is that I had to purchase a replacement at Camping World while mine was sent back for a free replacement. I have a spare when it fails again.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #12

Thanks Max - Thought I had tried the 4 screws and they seemed tight but I didn't put a lot of omph on the screwdriver so I'll try that. Joes Cat -- Both of my returns I just had them send me the new one first and charge it to my credit card, then when I returned the defective one they credited my card back. The only danger would be if they refused to warranty it you'd have purchased it whether you liked it or not. I was afraid if I sent mine in first the new one might not hook up the same way and I might need something off the old one. Anyway it would almost be a relief to have an extra while traveling, especially if you'd be dry camping a lot. If these problems keep coming up I may have to try the Aquajet, especially if they ever try to charge me for one but it does cost almost $11 ever time one is returned.
Wagonmaster2
Old 11-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #13

Hey Max - Tried tightening the 4 screws in the head even tighter than I already had and the leak seems to have stopped (fingers crossed). Was always afraid they might strip since its just plastic they screw into but it looks like that was what they needed, really really tight. Thanks for the advice on that, was sure hateing to send it back for the 3rd time.
Wagonmaster2