Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Wow- At least all us low-brow rear radiator folks know which way the air flows......
X2

I have had my rear rad cleaned by the shop on an annual basis. It looks brand new on both sides. Perhaps the problem with rear radiators is DIY-ers doing a substandard job cleaning theirs.

I do enjoy reading about the poor performance and problem child my ISB is... lol. And how terrible my road handling is without a tag axle, but that is story for another thread.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
All other things being equal, after changing the v-belt and serpentine belts I wouldn't even consider a rear radiator.
IMO, changing the serpentine belt is not the big disadvantage to a rear radiator coach...(keeping the radiator and the CAC clean to avoid overheating IS)!

I've changed my belt only once in 133k miles..... but a thorough radiator/CAC cleaning is necessary every 10K miles).

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
The vehicles I own whether an RV (and the Onan generator), OTR truck, passenger car, heavy equipment, farm tractors, etc. all pull air through the radiator. In the race cars (also Corvettes and sports cars) that have no grille or frontal opening if the flow is reversed; ie, push air vs. pull, the car will immediately overheat. Anyone out there have a radiator equipped, liquid cooled engine that pushes air through the radiator? I'm always looking to learn something new.

Edit: In reading other threads it appears a rear radiator MH may push air... are there other examples of this?
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Anyone out there have a radiator equipped, liquid cooled engine that pushes air through the radiator? I'm always looking to learn something new
All the diesel or gas engine generator sets that I ever sold, large or small, with unit-mounted radiators, pushed the air thru the radiator and discharged outside the room or enclosure. Pulling ambient air over the generator and engine helps cooling and provides much cooler air for combustion. Hey...you didn't say anything about it having to be a vehicle......
Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #33

Quote:
In reading other threads it appears a rear radiator MH may push air... are there other examples of this?
Oh, I am sure they do.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our previous coach, a Winnebago Journey with rear rad, pushed air out from the engine compartment thru the cooling pack. While I had the extended slobber tube, the cooling pack would still get dirty from the fact that the fan was sucking up road grime, oily grime that collects around most any diesel engine, etc. and pushing it out thru the cooling pack. As along as I washed the cooling pack at least once per season, I had no overheating issues.

IMO, another plus for side radiator configurations is the fact that most of them have the CAC and radiator stacked vertically. So, there is no opportunity for grime to collect between the CAC and radiator. Most rear rad configurations use a CAC/radiator sandwich which allows accumulations between them. A mechanic at my locate CAT shop told me they often have to remove the cooling pack on rear rad DP's to get them clean. He said he could not believe what accumulates between them in some he had seen. I suspect those were from owners who were not diligent in cleaning them periodically.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Anyone out there have a radiator equipped, liquid cooled engine that pushes air through the radiator? I'm always looking to learn something new.
Edit: In reading other threads it appears a rear radiator MH may push air... are there other examples of this?
Thunderfoot
On my "rear radiator" coach the engine mounted fan pushes air through the radiator...(don't they all)?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #36

Quote:
...Anyone out there have a radiator equipped, liquid cooled engine that pushes air through the radiator?...
Ditto to the generator comment. In the case of generators, they need to also cool the generator. Therefore, they pull outside air across the generator.

FWIW, years ago some buses with side radiators did push air out of the engine area across the radiator.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
All the diesel or gas engine generator sets that I ever sold, large or small, with unit-mounted radiators, pushed the air thru the radiator and discharged outside the room or enclosure. Pulling ambient air over the generator and engine helps cooling and provides much cooler air for combustion. Hey...you didn't say anything about it having to be a vehicle......
Thanks for your reply. I highlited the part of your post that I don't understand? If they pull ambient air isn't it pulled through the radiator rather than pushed?.... my 12.5 diesel Onan on the coach pulls air through the bottom mounted radiator through the enclosure and discharges at the lower rear. My cabinet model Honda's also draw ambient air through the case and discharge it.

EDIT: On the gensets you reference are the radiators on the intake side of the cabinet/enclosure or the exhaust side? I am only familiar with the intake syle units but pushing makes sense if the radiator is located on the exhaust side. Thanks
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #38

Thunderfoot
I have never really looked at one of these little gensets. I sold standby and prime power gensets from 150 kw to 1500 kw. Regardless, the radiator needs to remove heat from the coolant. The only way it can do that is to flow enough low ambient air thru the radiator core. We sized radiators for 105, 115 or 125 degree ambient conditions. In the generator room or enclosure, we had to wrap the exhaust manifolds with blankets and insulate the exhaust pipes and silencers so as to keep the ambient air temperature as low as possible. If you want to feel some heat, try standing next to a 50 liter V16 Cummins pulling 2400 hp at 1800 rpm for a 4 hour load test.

I have yet to see a motorhome with the exhaust system wrapped. Regardless of whether it is a side or rear radiator, there needs to be a constant supply of ambient air at the lowest possible temperature. I doubt if any motorhomes pull this air over the engine and exhaust system. Your genset probably has a plenum system for radiator air inlet and discharge, more than likely separated from the generator. Whether it sucks or blows is irrelevant.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is this thread about generators or the advantages and disadvantages of rear and side radiator diesel pushers? I like my 8 Kw Quiet Diesel. I wish it was on a slide out rather than a front install without a slide. I like my rear radiator ISB. If I had to choose between where the engine radiator is and whether the generator was on a slide or not - I would choose geneset on a slide.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Is this thread about generators or the advantages and disadvantages of rear and side radiator diesel pushers?
A discussion of air flow thru radiators is relevant to the OP's question...which has been answered. Why you feel that your MH is somehow being constantly put down and are taking frank and honest comments personally is another question.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
A discussion of air flow thru radiators is relevant to the OP's question...which has been answered. Why you feel that your MH is somehow being constantly put down and are taking frank and honest comments personally is another question.
Thanks for clearing that up Frank.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Frank.
Sure Bert. Why don't you go travelling in that RV of yours, instead of posting on this forum 10 times a day.