Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #1

Side Radiator Fan Speed

I replaced the side radiator fan motor in my coach (below in sig) last summer due to the shaft seal leaking. The engine is a 370 Cummins.
In working with it, I've noticed that the fan runs full speed all the time. I understand that's the default.
Does anyone know if there's a fuse in the line to the solenoid that might be blown and where it might be?
I've tested the A/C pressure switch to see if it was stuck and always sending a signal, but it's working properly.
Anyone know any ways for a shade tree mechanic to diagnose this?
I don't know if it's worth spending big bucks to have a truck center fix it as all it's doing is maybe costing me a little more in fuel by running all the time and I'm running the dash air most of the time I'm driving so it would be on high speed anyway.
Any other negatives by this fan running on high all the time?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

Might be a problem with the fan controller--probably electronic in an 05. Are you sure it is in fact running at full speed. Most fans run at a few 100 RPMs even when not calling for air flow. A fan at "full speed" makes a pretty good howl???? Have heard the fan motor is about 20 hp so at full speed you are burning some extra fuel. Biggest concern would be additional wear and tear on all the hydraulic components over time.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

I'm 99% sure it's running on high. It'll nearly pull your shirt off when standing next to the grill. I also got underneath and unplugged the electrical connection to the solenoid which, in effect, should put it in high speed and the speed did not change. Also checked the line for any voltage and there is none.
And yes, I do believe it is an electronic controller as I can't find any evidence of a wax valve.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

If it is a Sauer Danfoss fan controller then you are correct that the default when the controller is not receiving power is to run at high speed. Of course the standard 'first thing to try' on a motor home is to disconnect and reconnect the connectors to the controller a few times. Since you don't know where a fuse might be, check for voltage at the fan controller. No voltage there and you can start your search for the fuse. If you have voltage it might be the controller.

There are two thermistor sensors on the SD controllers. One for the turbo air and one for the engine coolant. A thermistor's resistance decreases as it gets hotter so if either sensor has a very low resistance reading then that might be your cause as the controller will think one of the temperature readings is high.

If it is a SD controller, there is lots of information on the Country Coach Owners Yahoo forum.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #5

My problem is that I don't know what the controller looks like or where it is.
Anyone have a picture or advice as to where to look for it?
I do appreciate the mention of the controller because I wasn't aware there was one. I thought it was controlled by the ECM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

On my 2000 Magna, the controller is mounted on the lower rear edge of the radiator housing. It is the only thing with 2 sets of wires running to it on the lower part of the radiator. The connector with the most pins is for the sensors and the other is for power. If the power lead is disconnected, the fan will default to high speed.
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
The fan controller will look something like the picture in the link and the connectors might be different depending on the part number. You should be able to find its location by following the hydraulic hoses from the hydraulic fan until one of them leads you to it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201098307771?lpid=82
Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

There won't be any hydraulic hoses going to the controller but there will be wires from the solenoid valve that controls the fan speed to the controller. Should you need a new controller, you will need the serial number from your controller as these are programmed for specific coach set ups.
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Note that the fan is part of the chassis-provided cooling system and not specific to a Cummins 370 ISL, so you need to discuss fan operation in the context of the chassis model. Is yours a Spartan or Freightliner?

On my Freightliner-based coach w/370 ISL the variable speed fan comes on when the thermostat reaches about 110 degrees reaches but it only runs at a low speed to provide a modest air flow. The speed gets ramped up under control of the engine computer, which monitors the engine temp and a/c status. If the a/c compressor is on, the fan goes to a fairly high speed regardless of engine & tranny temp.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
There won't be any hydraulic hoses going to the controller but there will be wires from the solenoid valve that controls the fan speed to the controller. Should you need a new controller, you will need the serial number from your controller as these are programmed for specific coach set ups.

The serial number is of no use. The OP needs the part number of the controller. SD programs the controllers by part number.not serial number
Old 06-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #11

My coach is on a Spartan MM chassis. After knowing what it looks like, I tried to find it, but the only two wires that I know lead to it go off into an abyss with the harnesses. I also looked in the bay where the tranny module and chassis fuses are located but it wasn't there.
I will post in the Newmar forum to see if anyone knows where it is.
Thanks for all the good info so far....
Another question arises. Is this a variable speed control, or just a 2 speed (on/off) solenoid?
Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think your answer was answered here.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Did you get the hoses on correctly? I have read that if the hydraulic hoses are hooked up in reverse the fan will run at full speed all the time. That should be an fairly easy check to make.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltoneMagoo View Post
Did you get the hoses on correctly? I have read that if the hydraulic hoses are hooked up in reverse the fan will run at full speed all the time. That should be an fairly easy check to make.
Good luck and safe travels!
Hoses are two different sizes and will only go on one way.

Tags
fan, radiator