Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
side view cameras

do any of you have side view cameras for your motorhome and if so where did you purchase them....do you view with the same screen as the back-up camera.....what do they cost..... what area of the side did you install them.

faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Side cameras can be installed after market but will not come cheap. You will have to start with your present back up monitor system and buy cameras for the side that are compatible. If your monitor is not capable of direct side camera connections, you will have to put a video switch in, that has a video output to the monitor. Cameras can be added to the front side corners of the front cap; I find this the easiest place.
What back up monitor system do you have? We will need Make & Model #. Thank you.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by faye View Post
do any of you have side view cameras for your motorhome and if so where did you purchase them....do you view with the same screen as the back-up camera.....what do they cost..... what area of the side did you install them.

We have side view cameras that were installed on the motorhome when it was manufactured. They are normally viewed with the same monitor as the backup camera. For what it is worth, well adjusted mirrors work just as well except for the blind spot near the right front. That blind spot requires a special mirror or a viewing window installed by some like Tiffin.

Bob, Pam, and Wheatens Buffy and Bo
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2007 Ford SportTrac
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i had the right camera installed after purchasing the RV. I agree with Bob (nodine above) , mirrors probably work just as good. on the after market model, you have to flip the camera from rear to side manually. on the models from the factory, they flip on when you put yoru signal on. just my 2 censt worth
Retired Army--Bob--2014 Tour 42QD
2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD
2001 Honda Goldwing
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Here is a link to a Voyager Three Camera system with split screen viewing.
The cost is about $1000.00 with two cameras. These can be hooked up to the backup lights, and turn signals to auto select the camera it thinks you need. Pretty pricy but a nice system.
1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to do a search for pace89. He posted about the installation he did.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the side cameras and I find myself using my mirrors most of the time. The cameras are next to useless in heavy rain and they are not much help in low light conditions. A good set of properly adjusted mirrors are better and much cheaper.
Lou & Mary Jo + Scooter & Sophie
2008 Allegro Bay 35TSB W-25.5
2005 Jeep Liberty Toad
jojolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm a side camera proponent. Mirrors are great but they sometimes get out of wack and you have to look at 2 or 3 mirrors to see the whole side of the coach.

With the camera, I put the right signal on and I see the whole side of the coach on one screen. My camera shows well in the dark and rain. The only time I don't get a good picture is in very bright sunshine which produces a glare on the lens.

Mine came with the coach but I don't know if I'd spend $1000 to add them on after the fact.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have side cameras on my new coach and have to echo what others have said. They are sort of nice to have, but properly adjusted mirrors work better. Also, mirrors are more reliable than cameras. If I had a choice of getting the cameras as an option, I probably would pass on them.

Another problem with the side cameras is that I used to use the rear monitor to help me judge when the toad was past someone I in the right lane before I moved over. When I put on the turn signal, the monitor changes to the side camera and I lose the rear view which is a huge blind spot.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Whether or not side cameras are useful or not is always subject to each person's viewpoint. Some like them and some don't and there seems to be equal amounts of fans on each side of the fence. There is no right or wrong - just whatever you prefer.

In my case I find they have benefits some of the time and other times they can get in the way. My biggest issue is that I prefer to not lose my rear camera view when overtaking another vehicle. It gives me good depth perception for knowing when to duck back into the right lane or if someone else grabbed that spot.

What I did was modify my side cameras to lock them out when I don't want them to come on. Normally the side cameras are fed to the rear view monitor, along with the rear camera. A pair of 12 volt wires run from the monitor to intercept the turn signal wires. Whenever the monitor sees 12 volt power at one of these turn signal wires it switches the view over to the appropriate side camera. When the turn signals go off it returns to the rear camera after a short delay.

I installed a small relay to intercept the turn signal wires that lead to the monitor. I then installed a rocker switch to power the relay. Whenever I turn the rocker switch on the relay is engaged and the automatic side camera selection is enabled. Whenever I turn the rocker switch off, the rerlay breaks the circuits between the turn signals and the monitor and the monitor will remain in the rear camera only mode.

That way, I can have the best of both worlds, whenever I choose them.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our rig came with a rear and side camera system installed. If I had a choice I would prefer the following:

• I would much prefer a color system as apposed to a B&W system. We have a B&W system. With a color system reading, recognizing, and analyzing the displayed images would be faster. (IE. it takes longer to figure out what is in the image with B&W as compared to color, thus your eyes are not on the road as they should be).
  • When I turn on a turn signal, the system automatically switches the view to that side. There are many times I don't want this to happen, wanting to see behind me instead. It would be better, for me, to have the option to:
  1. Have all cameras displayed on the screen at once,
  2. Have turn side and rear cameras displayed on the screen when a turn signal is on,
  3. Be able to override any automatic switch with the turn signal.
  • Also, when I turn on a turn signal and the system automatically switches, I lose the audio from from the rear. Since I don't have audio on the side cameras I would prefer not have have the audio interrupted even though in most cases I have it turned down anyway. I do leave the audio up on at the beginning of any driving to listen for any abnormal sounds coming from things like the toad, tow bar, etc.
The Hamptons
2015 Newmar 3436 LE
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Thought I’d chime in on this one. My rig is equipped with the Voyager System. Like many of you, I use the back view to monitor my towed vehicle, whether trailer or truck, for anything out of the ordinary. The feature that is most helpful is seeing when I have passed another motorist sufficiently enough to change lanes in front of them. That feature is one I would not want to do without as it keeps my lane changes far more safe than using the mirrors. It’s an invaluable addition. So, I’m an advocate for the back view feature.

When I set the menu function to show the back view full screen, it triggers left or right views with the turn signal operation. Since the view changes and I can no longer see my where my towed vehicle is in relation to the vehicle I’m passing, I never turn on the signal until I have already seen that I am passed the vehicle I intend to pull in front of. Not actually fond of this feature.

The system also lets me select, via its menu, to display all three views at the same time. Not all systems have this feature. While it eliminates the full screen view, I can see completely around my rig at a glance whether changing lanes or not. Yes the views are smaller since they share the monitor, but how many of us can actually see what’s around all four sides of our rig while driving.

And lastly, when all cameras are displaying and I am backing up, especially into a campground space, I can see everything, 360 degrees by looking at the monitor. Keeps me away from objects behind and alongside. GREAT feature for those tight places.

Overall, for the money once it’s spent, a very good addition for your safer motoring.

Gulf Stream Tour Master T40B
400 Cummins
tm08 is offline   Reply With Quote