Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2004 Winnebago Sightseer has large side windows at the driver and passenger seats. While there are night time privacy curtains, these are not positioned to be a sun blocker while driving.

I looked into a few sun shade devices, some were cheap and some were very expensive and looked awkward to use.

Upon looking at the window trim above the windows and making some measurements, I determined that an ordinary pull down window shade could be easily mounted.

So by making a careful measurement of the length I needed, I went to Lowe's and had a window shade custom cut to my length.

Mounting was a breeze and now I can easily reach up and pull the shade down without blocking my view of the side mirrors.

It worked so well I added one on the passenger side too. The wife appreciated it too as the bright sun bothers her eyes a lot.

A cool fix for about $28.00 !!

FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2004 Winnebago Sightseer has large side windows at the driver and passenger seats. While there are night time privacy curtains, these are not positioned to be a sun blocker while driving.

I looked into a few sun shade devices, some were cheap and some were very expensive and looked awkward to use.

Upon looking at the window trim above the windows and making some measurements, I determined that an ordinary pull down window shade could be easily mounted.

So by making a careful measurement of the length I needed, I went to Lowe's and had a window shade custom cut to my length.

Mounting was a breeze and now I can easily reach up and pull the shade down without blocking my view of the side mirrors.

It worked so well I added one on the passenger side too. The wife appreciated it too as the bright sun bothers her eyes a lot.

A cool fix for about $28.00 !!

FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:41 AM   #3

I did essentially the same as you... -Used Lowe's pull down blinds, but removed the white vinyl fabric and replaced it with "50% sunlight screening" (black pvc screen meant for sunrooms or greenhouses). Sure saved $ from buying the real thing from Winnie.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:17 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Troth, did you purchase the 50% sunlight screening from Lowes also? I have the vinyl, and am thinking of replacing it. How did you attach the Screening material to roller?

Thanks

Dieselclacker
Old 10-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #5

Yes, I picked up the 50% screening at Lowe's too. In fact, they also had some other "heavy duty plastic screening" (made to deter your dog from going through the screen door) that looked pretty good too.... I got my screen around June, this could be a seasonal item (?).
I attached the screen to the roller tube with some strong clear packaging tape.
My only regret was not being able to find the "good 'ol blinds" that used a wood roller core. -Seems everybody has shifted to the cheaper cardboard tube roller core. And you guessed it, over time, the cardboard tube begins to dip & sag. I've had mine for 2-1/2 years now and they've got just enough sag (maybe 1/4" in the center) that it's starting to be a pain getting them unrolled. My solution was to leave them "almost rolled up" in a different position so the the sag is opposite the gravity force... -it seems to be working.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Troth. Good idea on the sag problem. I too would like to have wooden roller, but alas, cant find a source, so am stuck with cardboard as you are.

Dieselclacker
Old 10-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey guys, try a real shade store, only sells shades. They will have the wood rollers. I was looking at wooden blinds for those windows, totaly adjustable up ahd down, and the amount of sun light passing through.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #8

Have any of you considered window tint? It allows good daytime privacy, holds the glass together when broken, and helps a lot with heat gain or loss and UV protection. Stay away from silver tint- it's illegal in many states.
Call your coach or car dealer for installers.
Do the same for windshield repairs- that's what I do for a living in Atlanta, Ga.