Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #1

Sidewall Rubbing

I know it's not a good thing, however, I need to ask for your thoughts, opinions, and experiences on this one.

When we purchased our MH last year we had a blowout on the drive home. Yes, that was my first time driving a MH and yes it did scare me half to death. My wife was following in our Jeep and all the flying rubber about took her out. We were lucky to have experienced only minimal damage. I replaced all four rear tires the next day. The front tires are from 2009 and I am going to try and replace them this year.

My question is when I am backing my MH in my driveway I have been rubbing the sidewall of one of the new rear tires on the curb. I only have about two inches between my awning and my house so it take some finessing to get it in. It does not appear to have been doing much more that rubbing the raised letters etc. off. Have I completely destroyed my tire? I plan on having the curb cut to open up some room, but what's done is done on the tire. I do not want to experience another blowout. I would not consider the rubbing to be extreme or anything, but thought I would ask.
Todd.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Without seeing a picture of your tires it would be hard to tell. However, the best one who can answer this question for you is a tire dealer. Get a second dealer opinion too.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Seconds on the tire dealer and second opinion.

Can you put boards or something by the curb to reduce the rubbing until you can cut the curb.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Probably not. The rubber surface of the sidewall is just cosmetic. Just be sure you haven't cut in more than about 1/32nd of an inch. Any cut or crack between 1/32 and 2/32 is suspect and the tire should be dismounted for inspection of the interior. Anything over 2/32 and it should be replaced immediately. This comes straight out of the Michelin RV Tire Guide, but the other big manufacturers publish the same guidelines.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote