Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

Signs Signs, Everywhere a Sign

Driving toward a state park campground in off season mid week involved narrow windy mountain road. We got to a "T" intersection and the sign indicated "Campground" with an arrow one direction and "Ranger Headquarters" the other way. We turned and drove a short distance toward the campground and saw another sign that indicated "Campers, do not enter the campground until you have registered with the office first". Since the road was way too narrow to turn around we assumed the "Office" would be just ahead and we went on.

At the campground there was another sign that indicated "pick any site that has a opening as shown on this schedule, set up and contact the office." So we wrote down the available sites and drove on. Next we came to a sign that indicated "Camp Host" and another smaller sign that indicated "do not proceed past this sign unless you check with the camp host first" . So I knocked and knocked and a sleepy gentleman answered the door looking at me like I was crazy. I told him we were looking for a campsite and he said "go and pick one out then for crying out loud"! I pointed to the sign that indicated we had to check with him and he acted like he never saw it before! We set up and then realized we had no idea where the office was. Another trip to the host and he said "its back there about 2 miles turn left and follow the sign for the Ranger Headquarters"

We arrived at the "office" and found a sign that indicated "During off season, pick any camp site that is not occupied and the ranger will be around to collect"!

Back at the campground the host stopped by and asked if we registered at the office and we told him about the sign indicating the ranger would be around to collect. He muttered "they never tell me anything" and walked away!

"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"

Lyrics by the Five Man Electrical Band
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's amazing how complicated it can be. By the time it's ironed out it's time to check out.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
What ya trying to say? Gimme a sign!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

Reminds me of this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Personal sign.png
Views:	200
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	112415  
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like circumstances we ran into at more than one "government park" while traveling out west. They were usually minamally manned and poorly signed. But, they were cheap...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We been to places like that too. that is why we generally like this place. A simple phone call ahead and they say yes or no and where to park. Also very inexpensive except for the shopping trip and even then it is a dollar saving event. THANK U WALMART
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

i'm also always amazed at the lack of concern for signage, even many times at rv parks themselves. Stayed at a nice one in Fl, Stagecoach, but when you arrive at the park the first sign you saw read " RVs do NOT enter ". That was it, no explaination, no direction, nothing. Of course, as the young manager pointed out as I was finally checking in, "the 'next' driveway is for the RVs" he stated emphatically, and even mentioned that " it's easily within site of the first entrance ". Of course, I told him that it's never 'apparent' to new arrivals, as you might assume, since no further direction or explaination is given for the first sign!
When you are a 70' train of an RV, you don't have the luxury of just continuing to drive down a dark lonely road - without MUCH hesitation, and then a lot of aggravation later!
What do RV park owners think?? They apparently don't look at it thru our eyes!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
i'm also always amazed at the lack of concern for signage, even many times at rv parks themselves. Stayed at a nice one in Fl, Stagecoach, but when you arrive at the park the first sign you saw read " RVs do NOT enter ". That was it, no explaination, no direction, nothing. Of course, as the young manager pointed out as I was finally checking in, "the 'next' driveway is for the RVs" he stated emphatically, and even mentioned that " it's easily within site of the first entrance ". Of course, I told him that it's never 'apparent' to new arrivals, as you might assume, since no further direction or explaination is given for the first sign!
When you are a 70' train of an RV, you don't have the luxury of just continuing to drive down a dark lonely road - without MUCH hesitation, and then a lot of aggravation later!
What do RV park owners think?? They apparently don't look at it thru our eyes!
The one in St. Augustine? I stayed there over Labor Day and it threw me off too.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:37 AM   #10

Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

I always liked the ones in front of the Police Station....
"No Parking,,, Police Cars Only"
Does that mean that any car other than Police Cars can park there????
mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me tell you about that... First thing I noticed was the officer writhing the ticket (NOTE: I was NOT parking, Just driving past) Then I noticed the NO PARKING ANY TIME sign (no exception for police cars and the officer's car was, as Perry Mason might say "Not in evidence") Then I noticed the police station next to the sign.

Some folks, I mean they just scream TICKET ME don't you know.

Of course.. This was just going from Point A to Point B on personal business... after 25 years of telling cops where to go... Oh do I have stories. Many folks thought they were smarter than the cops...... Clearly they were wrong.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #13

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
That's like the sign I saw on a 4 lane road. The right lane was ending but the sign said Merge Right - Right Lane Ends 500'.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote