Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #1

Silcone spray vs. WD 40.......when to use one vs. the other?

Hello-

Is there really any reason to use WD-40 to lubricate anything on a RV? It would seem to me that it would be best to lubricate everything (roof antenna, steps, jacks, etc.) with silicone spray? Are there some things best lubricated with WD-40 and not silicone?
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #2

Silicone spray is best used on rubber parts like slide seals. I use WD-40 (or PB Blaster) on metal parts but it will dry up and evaporate in a couple of hours.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Silicone spray is best used on rubber parts like slide seals. I use WD-40 (or PB Blaster) on metal parts but it will dry up and evaporate in a couple of hours.
Exactly. And it tends to attract dirt and dust. Not sure why to use WD-40.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:49 PM   #4

WD -40 is good to use on a squeaky door hinge or free up a metal bolt/part. It's just not made for long term lubrication.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #5

I use WD-40 to clean tools and nothing more. I use Tri-Flo for a spray lube. I use silicon spray in areas that are exposed to the elements.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #6

Been using WD-40 for decades on just about anything. Yeah, it's really not a lubricant but, it works. Some folks go to the ends of the earth to find the one and only spray to use on Kwikee step pivoting parts. I've used WD on those and imagine this, THEY'VE BEEN WORKING FOR YEARS. I've sprayed it on all the pivot parts and basically washed out any grime and debris. Wipe off the excess and, I'm good to go for months.

I've used WD on my HWH jacks and guess what, THEY STILL WORK TOO. Yes, you can find actual spray lube and, I have a few of them around.
I've used Spray Silicone on seals, rubber parts, plastic parts that are used for anti-friction systems (think "slide blocks) and it works too, in various applications.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #7

HWH recommends speay & wipe jack shafts w WD-40 NOT to use silicone. I tried both before I read their recommendations and agree WD-40 much better.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #8

WD-40 is not actually a lubricant but rather a penetrating solvent and while it does provide some short term lubrication, oil is best used for lubrication or as you mentioned silicon.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Hello-

Is there really any reason to use WD-40 to lubricate anything on a RV? It would seem to me that it would be best to lubricate everything (roof antenna, steps, jacks, etc.) with silicone spray? Are there some things best lubricated with WD-40 and not silicone?
WD-40 was developed as a water displacement this the initial WD-40 came from the fact that this was the formula found on the 40th try to develop the water displacement it works for a lot of things and if you Google you will find hundreds of uses for WD40 the basic element in it is fish oil[emoji3]
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
WD-40 was developed by a small company that was looking for a water displacement. The result was on the 40th try they found what they wanted and thus the name WD(water displacement) 40 the 4oth try. Here is a history of the products. Over the years is has had hundreds of uses. You will be surprised at what the base of the product comes from.
https://www.wd40.com/cool-stuff/history
Old 08-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
WD-40 was developed by a small company that was looking for a water displacement. The result was on the 40th try they found what they wanted and thus the name WD(water displacement) 40 the 4oth try. Here is a history of the products. Over the years is has had hundreds of uses. You will be surprised at what the base of the product comes from.
Now I feel stupid I did not think I did the above post correctly so I let the cat out of the bag as to what's in the stuff.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sold overhead doors for a few years. Told our customers and techs told me to not use WD-40 to lubricate the tracks or hinges since it attracts dust. Used silicone spray only.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post

X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WD is good cleaner but should not be used for lubercation. I rarely use it, mostly for cleaning tools. use 3/1 oil or a light machine oil. If you can use it on a fire... then it is a good lube.... stay away from spray grease.... used motor oil makes a fine lube for steps and door hinges and such.