Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irtys View Post
How do I adjust my fuel consumption for my VMSpc? Irtys Miller
Not sure if I understand but to read fuel rate you would have a faster mind than me and better eyes. Very little luck with "Fuel Rate"

What I do is I adjust my speed for best "Recent MPG". I start after it kicks into 6 gear and monitor my "Recent MPG" for best economy. When I find the point I am looking for it is usually around 60-62 I set my cruise for that point. Usually between 11.5 and 12. Of course this is for straight and level Interstates. This is my most economical fuel consumption rate. Of course hills, traffic, and lower speed limits change all of that.

You better put your thick skin coat on as you get more answers. Mine is on. LOL

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irtys View Post
How do I adjust my fuel consumption for my VMSpc? Irtys Miller
You should be able to go into the parameter editor in the advanced section of VMSpc and change the rate. I haven't done this and am reluctant to advise further.

Perhaps a post on VMSpc's website would result in a good suggestion.

Good luck.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks guys! Great ideas and screen shots.
Just a couple of random thoughts, why is it necessary to have Cruise Control Status? To my amateur eyes, your in CC or your not, what is the benefit of the gauge? What am I not understanding? Same thing for the throttle peddle input, what’s that all about? I don't recall the unit of measure, degrees I think , how does knowing that help me?
I realize that for most of the readings you need to know the factory specs of your engine before you can use the output from the VMSpc to understand what’s happening inside the power plant, but for things like Manifold Temp is there a threshold that should not be crossed? is that a factory spec too?
Can we talk about what all the information specifically means?
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Just a couple of random thoughts, why is it necessary to have Cruise Control Status? To my amateur eyes, your in CC or your not, what is the benefit of the gauge? What am I not understanding? Same thing for the throttle peddle input, what’s that all about? I don't recall the unit of measure, degrees I think , how does knowing that help me?
I realize that for most of the readings you need to know the factory specs of your engine before you can use the output from the VMSpc to understand what’s happening inside the power plant, but for things like Manifold Temp is there a threshold that should not be crossed? is that a factory spec too?
Can we talk about what all the information specifically means?
My dash does not indicate the cruise speed that I have selected so that is the only parameter that I display.

All parameters for your engine are sniffed out (VMSpc's term) and specified by the program. You have the option of modifying them to your needs. For instance the manifold temperature (AKA innercooler) threshold for the Cat C7 is 180 degrees and when you hit that your engine RPMs reduce and you are virtually sitting on the side of the road until it cools down. I prefer to know about 10 degrees before the threshold that I have a problem and avoid the shutdown. The same can be applied to almost any of the other specs.

A lot of the info is eye candy but none is required so you may design the screen and parameters as you please. Additionally who knows what will malfunction, anything is possible.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Just a couple of random thoughts, why is it necessary to have Cruise Control Status? To my amateur eyes, your in CC or your not, what is the benefit of the gauge? ....text deleted from quote....
Short answer: it's probably personal preference.

It depends upon how you get the cruise control to drop and how your switches are configured. If you drop the cruise control by tapping the brakes, the cruise control status is not needed. To me, it's a convenience item related to how the switches are configured on my motorhome.

I normally use the slide switch ( that increases speed, cancels, or turns off the cruise control that is on the turn signal stalk) to cancel the cruise control. I don't like applying the air brakes enough to drop the cruise control when I just want to slow down slightly. On my coach, it is very easy to slide that switch too far, and the cruise control is turned off. Then the next time I want to set the cruise control, I push the button on the end of the stalk and get no action. A simple glance at the cruise status icon lets me know if I need to turn the switch back on or simply push the speed set button on the end of the turn signal stalk.

I agree that you can easily live without "cruise control status".

Fred
Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Another Example of VMSpc Engine Screens

I will add my screen to the mix.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-8.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	22096  
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #21

I was just wondering, before I had a SilverLeaf, how did i get from point A to point B so may times, without an engine problem.

Jim E
Old 06-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use mine to monitor fuel consumption. I can adjust my driving by watching what's going on with fuel useage. Often, a slight change of throttle on certain roads can up the mileage.

I also watch it when climbing...easy to see that I'm staying at peak torque and know when to shift if necessary.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #23

I got mine because all the dash gauges do funny stuff!
So I used it to verify my dash gauges are junk!
I got the cheapest unit (VSP120) for the same cost as just the software, it has a plain small screen(too small for old eyes) and it rotates throw the user selected info one at a time or stays on one thats selected.
Actually works well, no need for a computer or stand, just plug and play or unplug and your done. I mostly watch the temps and have started to watch the fuel mileage, in my case slowing down is all it takes to increase fuel mileage.
I'm glad I got it, it can be used in several ways, I just trust the info it puts out over any of the gauges in my dash.
I don't use it to drive from point "A" to "B" I use it to verify or check things, also it has warning lights green, yellow and red to help put you at ease, glance over see green go back to enjoying the sceenery.
Driving these things should not be as stressful as they are!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with other owners comments. My analog gauges were NOT accurate, ESPECIALLY the coolant temperature. That was 20F off, higher, which concerned me installing the VMSpc.

I pay special attention to intake manifold temps when climbing long grades along with coolant and tranny temps.

The rest is FIP only and statistics.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
I got mine cuz I like toys. :-)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #26

Lots of good info here. I have used VMSpc for years and I learned from the OP that the 1000 transmission will now readout temperature and gear selection. My Allison 1000 won't do that but it was manufactured in 2000. The lack of data has not been a problem but the whole purpose of the VMSpc is to monitor and find current problems and emerging problems. I sure would have liked to know the temperature difference in my transmission when I switched to Transynd.

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote