Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #1

Single faucet no hot water pressure

I can not find an answer with google. Hoping someone has a solution.

I have a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star gas motor home.

Hooked up to city water. Great pressure according to regulator (50-55psi)

Bathroom Shower, outside shower and bathroom faucet have perfect water pressure hot and cold.

Kitchen cold water is perfect. Problem is kitchen hot water, over last month or so lost significant pressure, just a small stream now. We can add cold to it to increase pressure. But if hot only it is hard to wash dishes. 😕

Issue present if using tank and water pump or city water.
Thinking issue is in water line from water heater to kitchen sink.

Looking for ideas of issues, how to test my thought, and how to clear out my line. I did check under sink, no kinks and there is no valve to turn off hot water.

Thank you in advance for your help.
dwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 12:50 AM   #2

Unlike house plumbing there are no under sink shut offs in RV plumbing .

By single faucet , do you mean a single lever control tap set ?
Or just the kitchen sink hot tap ?

If it's just a single knob hot water tap , then like your house plumbing there is a washer on the bottom of the tap cartridge , that's held on with a screw , if the screw comes loose then the washer floats in the water stream and can cause flow issues.
You have too shut off city water supply and the 12 volt water pump , to remove the cartridge.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's either the hot faucet valve (or faucet mixer valve if single lever) or the screen on the faucet outlet (separate hot & cold faucets only). The faucet has to be disassembled to clean or replace the internal valve. If the outlet screen, there is a retainer at the end of the faucet that unscrews.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:03 AM   #4

The faucet has a single handle that moves left or right to control temp. It is a house hold faucet in the rv installed 8 months ago.

Not 100% sure if that changes either of the posts. I appreciate any further input,
Old 05-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #5

Maybe there is some debris in the hot water line serving this faucet. Try disconnecting it and testing it into a bucket. There may be a screen of some sort that needs cleaning.

What brand of faucet?

https://www.water-heater-repair-guid...rpressure.html
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilly View Post
The faucet has a single handle that moves left or right to control temp. It is a house hold faucet in the rv installed 8 months ago.

Not 100% sure if that changes either of the posts. I appreciate any further input,

I will second Gary's post that it is something inside the faucet cartridge. Since you have a household faucet, it may have a screen washer at the connection point to the pex line. If so, that may be blocked/clogged. Either way, your problem is at the faucet, IMO, since it is not likely the pex line is kinked and the issue is nowhere else in the coach.

Keep us updated.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 PM   #7

Not sure. Bought it on build.com. Only 8 months old. Thinking the line is the issue. Any ideas how to test line? I can remove it from faucet under sink. If I turn water back on will hot water just start flowing?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, and it should be quite a stream so have someone else turn the switch on and off while you hold the line in a bucket.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

Keymastr has given you the answer, but now might be the time to add a cut-off valve to the water lines. Fairly simple to add with Shark fittings and adapters and will allow any future repairs to be done without fear of a flood. Meanwhile, if checking the incoming hot line, check to see if there is a screen on the faucet side of the connection that may be the issue. If you can trace the line visually, of course look for kinks or sharp bends all the way back to the heater, if possible. Don't know the layout of your plumbing so don't know how possible that will be. If you don't have an assistant, you may be able to clamp a length of hose or tubing around the end of the pex and route it into the sink or out a window to check the flow from the hot line. Just keep in mind, as soon as you turn on the pump or city water, water will flow through the disconnected end and if there is no obstruction, it will come at full force and flow rate.

Keep us updated, please.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #10

So tonight I swapped the lines. Hot to cold and cold to hot. Now the hot on my faucet works perfect (just cold water) and the cold is now a low stream (and hot). I believe this confirms the faucet is ok and the issue is between the water heater and faucet since all other hot water faucets are ok.

Is this logic correct and if so what the heck do I do to fix it?
Old 05-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilly View Post
So tonight I swapped the lines. Hot to cold and cold to hot. Now the hot on my faucet works perfect (just cold water) and the cold is now a low stream (and hot). I believe this confirms the faucet is ok and the issue is between the water heater and faucet since all other hot water faucets are ok.

Is this logic correct and if so what the heck do I do to fix it?
Logic is spot on. Pretty obvious that the problem lies in the PEX hot water line. Have you tried the "pipe into a bucket" test yet ?

And I'm curious about another thing... before you installed this new faucet, how was the hot water flow through the old faucet ?
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #12

So before I put it back together I did have both pipes into bucket. Pressure seemed equal. Noticed a small piece of plastic bag in bucket size of nickel. Now together working fine. No idea where it was or how this happen. Assuming it was the problem. But it works.

Thanks everyone for the input. Love this forum. ��

Tags
single, water, water pressure