Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Sirius Radio Antenna

I have a portable sirius radio without an external mounted antenna. I have been using the typical car antenna placed on the dash at the windshield. This works most of the time but sometimes I lose reception. I have tried an antenna that is made for a sationary location and can be pointed but it is not as reliable. I would like to increase the reliablity of the reception. I read several posts about mounting it on the roof but I don't do roofs very well and I don't really want to put another hole in my roof.

Has anyone done something that works? Has anyone used one of the mirror mounted units? My concern on this is that i will not be above the roof of the unit so will I lose reception when traveling certain directions?

Thanks for any sugestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Just purchased a thru the glass XM antenna from eBay. Mounted in the overhang window. Ran the wire down next to the rear view mirror. Seems to work pretty good. Had 2 external button antennas, but the wire took a beating.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #3

Go for the hole in the roof.....use silicone to seal the hole you snake the wire down. Use silicone on the bottom of the antenna and stick it near the hole. It will not leak.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
I used a Sirius marine antenna through the roof Amazon.com: Shakespeare SRA-25 Ultra Low Profile Sirius Marine Antenna: Sports & Outdoors You can adapt other antennas as you do with an auto.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don't need to make a hole in the roof if your front cap.If it is not metal, just mount it inside the front cap at the highest part and run the lead in the left pillar down to your reciever. That's how mine is installed and it works great.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Sirius antennna will perform much better mounted on a metal roof as the roof serves a a "ground plane" for the antenna simplisticaly increasing the level of the signals it receives. My original roof mounted antenna failed this summer so I bought a replacement from Radio Shack. I did not want to run the cable to the roof so I mounted it in a rectangular piece of metal about 4"x6" in the compartment above the driver.It works well given the roof is fiberglass. Try mounting yours on a piece of metal on the dash and you will see the difference the ground plane makes in signal level.
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
The marine antenna is meant to be used on fiberglass.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have my XM Antenna mounted to the hood between the wipers on my class c for travel and have another mouted to the refrigerator cover on the roof. I dropped the cable down the cavity and brought it out in my outside entertainment center to have sat reception when I am parked. This was easy and works well for us

Bart Anderson
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
Just purchased a thru the glass XM antenna from eBay. Mounted in the overhang window. Ran the wire down next to the rear view mirror. Seems to work pretty good. Had 2 external button antennas, but the wire took a beating.

I know that XM and Sirius are now the same but would a XM antenna work with a sirius radio? Also does this antenna work if it is mounted on a verticle window vs a sloped one like in the rear of a car?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
You don't need to make a hole in the roof if your front cap.If it is not metal, just mount it inside the front cap at the highest part and run the lead in the left pillar down to your reciever. That's how mine is installed and it works great.
I had my original roof top antenna fail. I also mounted below my front cap & it works well.

Tags
antenna, radio