Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #1

Skirts/mud flaps

My motorhome has 2 skirts one attached to the frame , the second about 5" behind it attached to the rear bumper .
We plan to start towing a car next year . Do these skirts so much good to try to keep rocks & debris from beating up the front of the toad ?
We don't plan to buy a brand new car , but something decent .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #2

My coach had the full width mudflap when I bought it . I didn't like they way it looked because it never stayed straight and it was always wavy like a potato chip. I finally bolted 3/4" tubing to it to keep it straight but then one day traveling in a mountain area I came around a corner and a rock was right in the middle of the road and I hit it with the mudflap and it bent the tubing. I took it off and mounted mud flaps right behind the rear tires about 1' -1/2" off the road and they have been on there over 12 years or so. I tow vehicles all the time and I haven't had any problems chipping up my vehicles.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You'll get a lot of different answers on that one!

First, if you're referring to the "grass skirt" type, I can't see how they could stop anything but the very smallest rocks.

I prefer the solid rubber flap, suspended about 6" above the ground at travel height. Along with that I use the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. I feel that combination gives me the very best protection possible!

This is my setup. See post #10: Toad Rock Guard vs. Screen Shield.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cheapest way

Get ride of the full width mud flap. Mount individual mud flaps behind each tire about 3" from ground.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
My motorhome has 2 skirts one attached to the frame , the second about 5" behind it attached to the rear bumper .
We plan to start towing a car next year . Do these skirts so much good to try to keep rocks & debris from beating up the front of the toad ?
We don't plan to buy a brand new car , but something decent .
stepside454,
Well, lots of varying opinions about this. There are many, (pretty much including myself) who think that the full length "mud flap", actually causes more issues with rock chips on toads, than a coach without it. Well, I'm kind-a leaning towards that thought process myself. The primary reason is, when I mounted a motorcycle lift/carrier on the back of my coach, I could not use the full length mud flap due to the location of the mounting steel that was used for the M/C carrier.

So, while using that M/C carrier and towing our '04 Jeep Rubicon, and later we towed a 2011 Honda CRV, we received almost ZERO rock chips in any of those toads, and that was for a combined tow mileage of around 10-15K miles.

But, when we sold the M/C lift and re-mounted the regular trailer hitch and the full length mud flap, our present toads, a 2011 GMC Sierra and a 2003 Jeep Rubicon, have been pelted with a zillion chips. And, the roads we've traveled on were basically no different in composition as any of the roads we traveled without the full length mud flap.

So, at present, we're doing an experiment. We've purchased a new, very nice 2015 Jeep and we're going to tow it in about a week or so. I've removed that full length mud flap and fabricated brand new mud flaps that are suspended right behind the duals and are about 1.5"-2" off the ground. So, we'll see about how this "theory" of having a full length m/f vs NO full length m/f goes.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
RVM1

Yes, lots of opinions about Ad-Flaps.
Mine hit the dumpster long ago. Reg flaps behind the duals are all you need.
Here are some threads:
Replaced your rear bumper rock guard?
Rear rock guard under coach

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #7

I'll throw my 2 cents in. Our Horizon has good mud flaps behind all the wheels, the rear are dual tire width. There also is a full length flap, logo emblazoned, just ahead of the rear bumper area. Currently the flap rides about 2-3" above the ground. We recently finished a 13K trip from AL to AK and back. During the north of the border part I mostly used a full width front cover on the Jeep, (hood, fenders, bumper, windshield protection) and at the end of a day driving on the fine, sarcasm intended, Canadian roads, the front of the jeep and hood were pelted with rocks, dirt and what ever the road surface was. The front of the jeep fared well but unfortunately the front surface of the rear finders not so well.

I like the rear flap, esthetics mainly, and before ditching it I'm going to try raising it up as much as possible and cut about 2" off the bottom.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Get ride of the full width mud flap. Mount individual mud flaps behind each tire about 3" from ground.
I have both...between them, they do fine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here are some things to consider. First, a rear mud flap works differently on different RV's. For example, a rear radiator diesel pusher, sucks up air and debris from under the coach and pushes it out the back. On gas coaches, you don't have that same suction action, consequently, less debris out the back. On both of my diesel pushers, I got rid of the cheap flap they installed and used a thicker rubber flap that wouldn't "sail". "Dura Flap", a vendor on the this forum, offers all types of flaps and material.

I've found that if a good rubber flap is used and APPROPRIATELY adjusted off the ground they work well. We just returned from a nine week, 7000 mile trip across the U.S. and back. I initially was using a new product called "Road Wrap" to protect the front of my CRV, but about a third of the way through the trip, I didn't use anything. I did a thorough detailing of the Honda yesterday and there were no chips or road damage from the trip.

I've straightened and repaired many mud flaps for friends. My personal observation is that many who remove the flap, do so because they've carelessly damaged them and are tired of fixing them.

Personally, I think a properly installed, quality mud flap works fine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a full length skirt behind the tag axle. It does a pretty good job keeping the gravel and other debris from pelting my Jeep Wrangler TJ. I still get occasional chips and dings depending on the road surface unless I put a bib across the front of my Toad. The Jeep's windshield acts as a ding magnet no matter what I do. It's a large rectangular target that attracts any small piece of gravel on the road. Nothing serious so far, but a trip to Novus after each long haul is usually called for.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

We tow a Jeep Wrangler and when we went to AK this year used a full front bra that covered the hood fenders and windshield. It did a great job protecting but unfortunately collected a god bit of mud along the edges. The latter part of the trip we used a yoga mat for the windshield. Didn't need trimming and the cushioning prevented any chips or dings to the windshield. It's thin enough and compresses so that it seals nicely in the door jamb windshield A pillar.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Skirts/mud flaps

I installed an Ultra Guard full width rubber skirt using an angle iron top plate. It is about 26" from the rear of the MH with 2-3" of ground clearance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477096313.003669.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	142196
Note that the chains are attached from the angle iron to the frame at an angle rather than hanging straight down. This keeps the skirt from swinging side to side and shimmying.
We tow using a tow dolly and I have not had any damage to the front of the car.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477096830.904701.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	142197
Paul

B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote