Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Sleep Number and other mattresses

As my wife's value as a vintage classic continues to increase, and her ability to articulate her smallest displeasures improves, her attention has now touched upon the topic of the RV mattress. Having faithful served for two years and 12,000 miles, it has now been found to be underperforming in its job, I find that a newer younger model is desired (the mattress I mean, not the wife. She still has many good nights left in her)

If their TV ads are to be believed the $1300 sleep number mattress will solve all of the problems in our bedroom, and we will awaken as rejuvenated as a young couple on their honeymoon.

Being somewhat suspicious that this claim may contain an element of exaggeration, I was hoping someone who has had experience with this pricey pillow might offer some insights.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

I got nothing as far as the mattress, but your opening paragraph was hilarious!!!
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's going to be a hard question to answer for you. Mattresses are very much a personal preference thing, so what one likes, another may not. Having said that, we have a Select Comfort in the MH. It's ok, not great. It allows you to adjust how firm or soft you want your side of the mattress to be. To us, it feels like we're sleeping on an air mattress. Maybe a pillow top or something would make it better, but it hasn't been bad enough to make us do anything about it.
We sleep on a Tempurpedic at the S&B and love it.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
We have used a Bear Bed for about 12 years on the MH.

Separate air controls for each side of the mattress with compressors somewhere in the foot of the mattress so not externally dangling.

Cannot compare it to Sleep Number, except that Bear Bed has no numbers. So you have to adjust by feel.

I do not feel any younger when I rise in the AM. :-(
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

Our coach came with a sleep number and it has worked out well for both of us. My wife prefers a much softer mattress and I more rigid. It took us three years to choose a mattress on our home and wish we had tried the sleep number.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

We bought a beautiful pillow top (17 inch thick) mattress from Sams to use in our MH. It is VERY comfortable but when we bought it we were busy testing it out for comfort not considering the height of the mattress. Well, now we sleep in comfort, but I have to use a step stool to get into the bed because the mattress is so TALL!!! We have a heated mattress pad to put on it, but it may cause us to hit our heads on the overhead cabinets at night so we are debating whether or not to try to put the mattress pad on!!! (No I am NOT kidding!!!).
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We got a king size sleep number when we bought the mh new. We got rid of it 3 years later. Didn't like it. When we took it apart to remove it I was surprised, it was nothing but two single air matters with foam stuffed around them. I don't see how they get that much money for them, I think we paid 1,300 extra for that.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post

Being somewhat suspicious that this claim may contain an element of exaggeration, I was hoping someone who has had experience with this pricey pillow might offer some insights.
For wort it is woprth: My bride and I slept on a waterbed bed the first 33 years of our marriage. When we started full time, of course, the water bed would not be feasible to take with us, so we got a Sleep Number.

Eight years later we still love it. Very comfortable, and of adjustable on your mood or physical needs that evening. (Some nights I like it real soft, others nights, firm.)

Depending on the bed queen sizes start at $999.00 but you can catch a sale now and then.

Here is a link for you: Sleep Number

No it won't turn back time for you, sorry, but it will give you a good nights sleep.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Sleep Number mattresses in both the MH and the S&B, and we love them. I realize that not everyone likes them.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
For wort it is woprth: My bride and I slept on a waterbed bed the first 33 years of our marriage. When we started full time, of course, the water bed would not be feasible to take with us, so we got a Sleep Number.
I dunno, maybe a waterbed could work in a DP, but it would definitely have to have a Tag.

When I met my wife back in 1981, she had a comfortable heated waterbed. Kept it for a while after we got married. At least until our Rottweiler puppy got too big to sleep on it safely.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #11

We have had a sleep number in the S&B for 10 years and just switched in the MH last week do far very happy with both.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #12

Glorified air mattress or.......
Few years ago when we were buying a new bed for the S&B we just duplicated the mattress from home in the trailer. The only difference is onenis queen and the other is king. But we sleep the same no matter where.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We were like Dog Folks and had a waterbed for about 25 years and loved it. It finally got a leak and the new ones were like rocks.

We tried another off brand air bed and thought it was good for about a year and then realized we just weren't get a comfortable nights sleep. We eventually bought a pillow top and love it.

Our new coach came with a Sleep Number. We thought we would give it a try ten years after the first one. It was okay, but I always felt like I was laying in a hole. Adding air made it too hard. We went back to a pillow top.

As many said, it's a personal choice, but it's an expensive experiment to try one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I dunno, maybe a waterbed could work in a DP, but it would definitely have to have a Tag.

When I met my wife back in 1981, she had a comfortable heated waterbed. Kept it for a while after we got married. At least until our Rottweiler puppy got too big to sleep on it safely.
After the first two trips in my RV, I knew I had to do something about the bed as it was a crappy "RV" mattress. I kept reading about SN beds and decided to go to the nearby store to try them out. Well, the $1300 version really didn't work for me, the hole in the middle was unacceptable. I moved up to the $3500 version before it was less of a problem. Did you folks know the top-of-the-line Rolls Royce version of the SN mattresses sells for $15,000??? Well, it does, go look at their catalog. And you want to know the difference between that $1300 one and the $15,000 one? A lot of foam

So back to plan B, search for a waterbed. I found one that works, weighs somewhere around 400 pounds (queen size) and my rear axle on my NON-tag coach is 800 pounds or so under GAWR.

The type of waterbed I found is known as a "shallow-fill" and my particular one is only 3.5 inches deep. It's a soft-sided one as well so it just sat right on top of the platform for the old mattress. This mattress is a dream (got the waveless model) and I sleep at least as comfortable as I do in the S&B waterbed.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote