Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Sleep Number Bed Opinions

Options on sleep number beds, pro's and cons.
I have had one for 3 years now in the coach and love ours.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #2

if i could find a traditional mattress that could stand up to the daily stress of extending and retracting during the camping season and extended retraction over the winter AND was warranted for both i would dump our Rest Easy air mattress in a heartbeat. that’s how much i like our air mattress.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
if i could find a traditional mattress that could stand up to the daily stress of extending and retracting during the camping season and extended retraction over the winter AND was warranted for both i would dump our Rest Easy air mattress in a heartbeat. that’s how much i like our air mattress.
We replaced our RestEasy (a sleep number knock-off) with a Leesa Mattress 18-months ago and have no problems with the folding/unfolding and storage process at all. Most foam mattresses say they work with tilting bases and that’s really all you have.

We hated our RestEasy, but I’m told that real Sleep Numbers are much better. I don’t know if that’s true or not.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We replaced our RestEasy (a sleep number knock-off) with a Leesa Mattress 18-months ago and have no problems with the folding/unfolding and storage process at all. Most foam mattresses say they work with tilting bases and that’s really all you have.

We hated our RestEasy, but I’m told that real Sleep Numbers are much better. I don’t know if that’s true or not.
thanks. i've spoken with a number of mattress makers over the past year. after i described the bed mechanism some told me that their mattresses were nit designed for that "abuse" (their word, not mine), others thought that their mattresses could hold up but as they were not tested fir such use they would not provide a warranty. the search continues.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have a king size at home and HAD a king size in a previous coach. The present coach has a queen size that tilts. If you have room, get a king size. The sleep number is a great mattress. This is especially true if one of you has back problems
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Sleep # is great but they always have something to pay attention to over time.
Ours had a blow out because it wasn’t deflated enough going over the mountains.
I have trouble with the patch having a slow leak because it is right on a seam. Also have had the tubing start leaking and pump troubles. All these problems take a lot of work to get at the source where as a common spring mattress just lays there for a long time.
Still I will probably get another one when time to replace it.
Been thinking about some sort of pop off valve to relieve the pressure.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
thanks. i've spoken with a number of mattress makers over the past year. after i described the bed mechanism some told me that their mattresses were nit designed for that "abuse" (their word, not mine), others thought that their mattresses could hold up but as they were not tested fir such use they would not provide a warranty. the search continues.
The manufacturer doesn’t know what your RV is doing when it tilts. So, it’s natural they’re not going to “warranty” some unknown.

The biggest issue with this change is getting a mattress that is the right size. We bought a California King but we had to modify the headboard. It’s the right width but 2” longer than the OEM air mattress.

Our Sleep Number knock off had wired remotes. One got pinched and stopped working out on the road. I had to manually fix it so I could go to bed. That’s one thing about any Air bed. It can malfunction and you can be struck sleeping on the couch.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
...That’s one thing about any Air bed. It can malfunction and you can be struck sleeping on the couch.
been there, done that.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have a Rest Easy in the coach and we love it. Had a Sleep Number before and it was great also but then its what we are used to because the S&B has a Sleep Number too.
Pro's - individual firmness
Con's - need to drop the air pressure when you get into very high elevations
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #10

Had one, wouldn't have another if they were giving them away and I was sleeping in a flower bed.Leaks, remembering to deflate, then inflate. Foam mattress works well, bed goes up and down. No problem.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Had one, wouldn't have another if they were giving them away and I was sleeping in a flower bed.Leaks, remembering to deflate, then inflate. Foam mattress works well, bed goes up and down. No problem.
which mattress do you now have?
Old 11-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #12

I have the Zinus mattress in mine and absolutely love it. Check out the reviews on Amazon, they have a 5 star rating
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
which mattress do you now have?
We have this one in the MH and a similar one on the boat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both have been very satisfactory.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We used a Bear Beds air mattress in the coach for several years and had zero problems with leaks, wear & tear, "abuse", whatever. As for our personal comfort, there were pros and cons to air vs an inner spring or foam type, so we liked some aspects of air but not others. When it came time to replace the mattress at home, we decided to go with a hybrid spring/foam type rather than air. I guess that means we were not exactly in love with the air bed concept.

But you say you love yours, so why the question? Who cares if others like or don't like your choice of sleeping gear? If your wife is a blond, would you ask others how they like blonds? And maybe ask her to dye her hair if the consensus was for redheads?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote