RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2018, 05:22 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We have a P6 for almost 2 years. It has been an adventure. However, I will give Sleep Number a big thumbs up, there customer service has been outstanding. We are on our third pump/control unit. And to soften that blow, they gave us a wonderful high tech blanket (list $150) for free.
I like the mattress, my wifeís not so much. I have back and joint problems so I like the ability to change the firmness as I feel the need.

I avoid buying anything from Camping World for several reasons. With that said, since we have had so many problems, I would have hatred to try to work through them with Camping World!
P.S. Do NOT drop the remote on a hard floor, itís $50 to replace it

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #16

Wife and I love the SN King bed that came with the motor home. To keep the remote near by and keep it from falling to the floor we used velcro to hold it in place on a narrow shelf by the bed.

charli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #17

Hello All IRV2 commenters on this subject!
Thank you for all the input on this subject. But I wish that supplied comments and feedback was strictly pertaining to the requested subject of adding an extra layers of foam to increase the "comfort feel" of the SN and not the virtues or the problems associated with them.

1. Being a seasoned motorhome owner, I am already aware of the need to deflate the the bladders to avoid them to being damaged. Note: I have read previous posts on this subject.

2. Again, being a avid reader of IRV2 and the appropriate posts on a particular subject, there are two camps of SN mattress owners, -- those who love them and those who hate them. I am not arguing whether or not a particular person - i.e. DH or DW are happy with or do not like SN's.

3. I have already tested some SN's mattress already. I found that the P6 was more comfortable than the P5 for us. The only difference is that the P6 has an additional layer - cooling effect using a graphite infused layer. This also provides a more comfortable feeling for us. I am attaching a pictorial view of this. The upper mattress is the P6, while the lower mattress in the file is the R5. You will "notice" that they are the same.

4. In my careful "engineering analysis" (note: I am a retired engineer), the P6 was 11 inches thick, while the P5 was 10 inches thick. Therefore, the R5 which Camping World sells if basically the same as the P6, except for the cooling layer. Therefore, visiting a SN store and testing the P6 should be a good benchmark for the feel of the mattress.

5. In talking with the SN sales person, I also found out the all the the SN mattress sold in there stores have the air input to the bladder is located on the side. This would not work for my Newmar motorhome since the slide mechanism is under the bed platform. Only the R5 have the air input at the head.

6. I contacted Newmar customer support to find out if the R5 is used and whether or not they use an upgraded version, along with the question of the air input to the bladders. I received back a nice response to my inquiry - "Newmar does use the standard R5 mattress and not an upgraded version. Also we use this version for the stated issue of having the air input to the bladders."

7. It is Sleep Number's responsibility for warranty issues. Isn't this the fact with all "components" used in an RV where the dealer goes back to the OEM manufacture? Yes, Camping World can "assist" in warranty issues, but they will go back to Sleep Number for resolution. If I were to purchase it, I would go directly to Sleep Number saving both time, headaches, and effort.

Therefore, I would like like to "re-invite" any current SN owners if they did added any support layer and what they thought of the effect of adding this extra layer.

Best Regards
Dutch Master
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sleep Number Comparisons.pdf (173.3 KB, 7 views)
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Therefore, I would like like to "re-invite" any current SN owners if they did added any support layer and what they thought of the effect of adding this extra layer.
We did not add an extra layer to the R5, We may have a slight added layer with the mattress cover as it is a quilted type. No extra foam layer.

My view of the R5 without an added layer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
The R5 adjustments are a little courser than I would like so I float between 2 settings.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #19

Have Sleep # beds in house & RV. Just has standard mattress cover like spk64.
First RV Sleep # bed we installed in our 2003 Teton when new. In 2014 moved it into a Voltage toy hauler. Home bed Sleep # goes back into the 1990's.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I have a SN, it's the dual zone. Which would be great if not for the memory foam "insert" between the zones. This is dumb design, it makes the center of the bed not adjustable and generally makes you roll to the center of the bed at any # setting... worse if two people sleeping in the bed, it kills my back when this happens.

If I can stay to one side I do love the firmness it can achieve. If I was to buy another I would not get a dual zone.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Hello All IRV2 commenters on this subject!
Thank you for all the input on this subject. But I wish that supplied comments and feedback was strictly pertaining to the requested subject of adding an extra layers of foam to increase the "comfort feel" of the SN and not the virtues or the problems associated with them.

1. Being a seasoned motorhome owner, I am already aware of the need to deflate the the bladders to avoid them to being damaged. Note: I have read previous posts on this subject.

2. Again, being a avid reader of IRV2 and the appropriate posts on a particular subject, there are two camps of SN mattress owners, -- those who love them and those who hate them. I am not arguing whether or not a particular person - i.e. DH or DW are happy with or do not like SN's.

3. I have already tested some SN's mattress already. I found that the P6 was more comfortable than the P5 for us. The only difference is that the P6 has an additional layer - cooling effect using a graphite infused layer. This also provides a more comfortable feeling for us. I am attaching a pictorial view of this. The upper mattress is the P6, while the lower mattress in the file is the R5. You will "notice" that they are the same.

4. In my careful "engineering analysis" (note: I am a retired engineer), the P6 was 11 inches thick, while the P5 was 10 inches thick. Therefore, the R5 which Camping World sells if basically the same as the P6, except for the cooling layer. Therefore, visiting a SN store and testing the P6 should be a good benchmark for the feel of the mattress.

5. In talking with the SN sales person, I also found out the all the the SN mattress sold in there stores have the air input to the bladder is located on the side. This would not work for my Newmar motorhome since the slide mechanism is under the bed platform. Only the R5 have the air input at the head.

6. I contacted Newmar customer support to find out if the R5 is used and whether or not they use an upgraded version, along with the question of the air input to the bladders. I received back a nice response to my inquiry - "Newmar does use the standard R5 mattress and not an upgraded version. Also we use this version for the stated issue of having the air input to the bladders."

7. It is Sleep Number's responsibility for warranty issues. Isn't this the fact with all "components" used in an RV where the dealer goes back to the OEM manufacture? Yes, Camping World can "assist" in warranty issues, but they will go back to Sleep Number for resolution. If I were to purchase it, I would go directly to Sleep Number saving both time, headaches, and effort.

Best Regards
Dutch Master

We did add a topper and also replaced the mattress pad with a thicker one.. Both raised the height of the bed and I was concerned about the slides over time.

I thought boy is this silly, I should not have to alter a bed to make it comfortable
Old 09-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have the R5 from Camping World.
When you get it, call SN and tell them you are bottoming out when you sleep on your side. They will send a FREE memory foam insert that makes the bed 10X better. Need one for each side. Without that layer it feels to much like a cheap air mattress. I also added a foam piece down the center so we don't roll to the middle. I love the bed but its not as good as our s/b I12 model Sleep Number.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #23

Hello 1CoolZ71 and others,
Thank you for the additional feedback. I went again to the SN store to test mattresses again. I started with the P6 knowing that the R5 can be "upgraded" with an additional foam layer as 1CoolZ71 stated in his post. Both my DW and I still did not like the feel of the P6. I then went over to an I7 and tested it. I found that it was more comfortable and we liked it. The problem with the I7 is the prohibitive high cost and the placement of the hoses (on the side vs at the head). The big difference between the P series and I series is the type of foam used. The P series uses standard foam as where the I series uses memory foam.

I went home to do some "fact finding and analysis" of the I7. I found out that it uses a 3 inch thick memory foam layer that is rated at around 4 lbs/foot. I found out this data on Sleep Like the Dead web site. I used Google and Amazon to find out an equivalent memory foam product. Amazon did have a high density memor foam product rated at 3.5 lbs/foot for a mere $155 (Queen Size).

1. The Camping World pricing is much, much cheaper than any SN mattress found at their store.
2. By adding an appropriate layer of foam - either standard or memory, you can mimic what is found in the SN stores at a much, much lower cost.

What a marketing scam these SN stores are pulling!

Additionally, I called SN customer service to find out the warranty issues with "self installation" of the R5. She stated that the standard warranty applied whether or not it is installed by one of their tech or a DIY. Note, you need to go to the SN site to read their warranty issues. The bladder and pump is warranted for 25 years and the wireless control for 2 years. But the bladder and pump is prorated starting after 2 years on a "sliding scale."

Best Regards
Dutch Master
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been looking at the SN beds as well. I noticed the pricing higher at the SN store verses Camping World. I was wondering if there were other purchase options out there. Also can anyone confirm the fact that i would have to install mine with the head of the bed at the foot due to my coach having a bed tilt mechanism for the slde to work?
Old 09-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We have had a sleep number bed in the house for 20 years, and in 3 different motorhomes over the last 14 years. We use a 2" memory foam topper on all. Never had a pump go out, a leaking mattress, or a problem with elevation.
Make sure it's a dual chamber set or you will roll to the center.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
We love our sn bed. Have been sleeping on it for 6 years. Had a small leak in DW side but that was a quick fix with gorella glue and a bike tire patch. Patch has been there for 2 years and no issue

We went to the sn bed store and they said the R5 king is the only one that will fit for a king bed in an RV
Old 10-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #27

Mats

Check the Original Mattress Factory, they can make a mat for a RV and compared to a Denver Mat it is half the cost. When we bought the Road Warrior in Oct 2017 we ordered the Denver mat from the dealer and bought it there. But it is a RV King size and it was $1200 for it. Nice mat but later when we bought for the house Original Mat Factory said they could had made one for the RV at $600.

Live and learn, I guess

hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote