Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Both lower corners of the bedroom slide leak in heavy rain. It seems that the vertical seals are to short and there is a slight gap at the bottom corners.

I noticed when the water was coming in and getting the carpet wet that I had the motorhome slightly leaning in from the slideout. I assume if I tilt the opposite direction the water would not come in.

Anyone had this problem and are there any ideas of how to extend the seals??

Thanks

Steve
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Both lower corners of the bedroom slide leak in heavy rain. It seems that the vertical seals are to short and there is a slight gap at the bottom corners.

I noticed when the water was coming in and getting the carpet wet that I had the motorhome slightly leaning in from the slideout. I assume if I tilt the opposite direction the water would not come in.

Anyone had this problem and are there any ideas of how to extend the seals??

Thanks

Steve
Old 08-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can get a piece of the rubber seal that you have to the slide wall now and back off screws holding metal strip, if you have one, extend the strip down beyound the slide wall. Than peel back strip and place some sealent at bottom edge of slide wall behind the rubber seal. This will help to drain any water coming down bottom edge of slide from getting into the coach area if your coach is not that level.
One other thing as your slide moves out the rubber seal will act like a wiper and peel to the outside sometimes it does not turn on slide wall completely run your finger up behind seal so seal is tight to side wall of slide and there are no bends in seal coming down wall.
If there is than water will get behind seal and run into the coach on back side of rubber seal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Its very unusual how these rubber seals are to short. Quite frustrating considering the rig is only a year old.

Doesnt look like there is any way to pull the seals down as you say so perhaps I could extend them somehow.

Thanks for the reply 007

Steve
Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #5

Steve
You are not alone with the leak problem. My 2004 leaks the same. During the warranty period Forest River replaced all the seals and put silicone along the sides of the vertical seals that are too short also. I haven't been able to solve the problem yet.
My leaking problem is more evident when the slide is in rather than when extended.
I notice that I have to make sure when the slide is out that the seals are not curled inward.
Hope we can find a workable solution.

Roy & Shirley
Leamington Ontario Canada
2004 35' Georgetown
Roy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can get to the sill at the outside bottom of the slide cutout, try running a large bead of caulk from the inside corner of the sill outward at angle to the edge. The idea is to build a lip. This is assuming the water is dripping down from your short vertical seals, landing on the sill, and running inward from there.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Determine where the water is landing on the cutout sill. If it is dripping off the short vertical seals, landing on the sill and running inward, try the following:

Run a large bead of caulk from the inside edge of the sill angled outward to the edge of the sill. The idea is to build a lip.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Determine where the water is landing on the cutout sill. If it is dripping off the short vertical seals, landing on the sill and running inward, try the following:

Run a large bead of caulk from the inside edge of the sill angled outward to the edge of the sill. The idea is to build a lip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is running down the vertical seal landing on the sill and running inward. I put a piece of tape over the seal and it stopped the water from coming in. I will try what you suggested with the caulking.

thanks for your help

Steve
Old 09-15-2007, 04:02 AM   #9

Steve,

We had the same problem on one of our slides on our '06 Winnebago Adventurer. The local dealer who we service at noticed the corner of the seals were not glued properly. Since we haven't had a problem.

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Slide out leaked again during heavy rain. But this time I have noticed that the slideout room is lower at the front so the inner rubber seal is not tight towards the bottom half of slide.

Wish I noticed this during warranty. Although I have emailed to ask if this is covered under the Lippert 5 year warranty.