Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
We just bought a new motorhome and were wondering, How many of you use the slide locks?
When and where do you use them?

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
We just bought a new motorhome and were wondering, How many of you use the slide locks?
When and where do you use them?

340 RK
Old 12-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #3

There are apparently many different kinds of locks. Mine are hooks mounted on the front of ther slide wall that connect to a loop in the floor. I use them all the time when the slide is not extended.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not in a long time, bottom line if you forget to unhook them, they will tear out whatever anchors they are attached to if you forget to diconnect them before putting the slide out.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I use mine all the time. Yes, you need to make it part of your routine to check them prior to extending the slide. I can tell the difference between locked and unlocked when on bumpy or curvey roads.

Welcome to the site! We vacation often in northern MI near the Traverse City and Suttons Bay.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i have a bar.and also have akey that turn's my slide on and off . if you have akey put it around the bar. so you will remember to take your bar down be fore you put your slide out.i learned the hard way.first time out in mine 'crunch' tried to put slide out. forgot to pull bar out only one part of slide went out pulled slide back in took bar down. put slide out for the weekend put slide back in at end of weekend back part of slide stick's out 2" took to dealer to get fixed told dealer what happened 'no problem we can fix it." they did and they did .100 bucks later dealer says "PUT KEY AROUND POLE SO THIS DOSEN'T HAPPEN AGAIN TO YOU" thank you mr. dealer.lesson learned!!! sorry so long
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
DFR, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here. Slideout locks are necessary on some coaches but not all. I have them but never use them and have never had a problem in almost 6 years now. THere are some that if the travel locks are not installed the coach will leak. THen there are those that are in between. It certainly won't hurt to use them as long as you REMOVE before extending the room. GOod luck and let us know what you have or are looking at and we can give you a better answer.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:26 AM   #8

I've got them but have never used them. Have never had a problem.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks for the welcome guys. The unit we have has two full wall slides and I'm a bit concerned about the size and weight of them. I haven't had enough time in it to determine the stability of the slides. It came with lock bars and the wife being a bit impatient has me concerned of an attempt to deploy the slides while locked.

340 RK
Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DFR and welcome to iRV2. I have manual locks and use them all the time. I understand your comments about the wife. Believe me, I understand all too well.

I use the locks as it tightens up the slides with the body, when the coach is in motion. As to the wife,,,,,each must solve this challenge in their own way. Without going into details, she broke enough stuff, on the coach, we have come to an agreement. When we are setting up camp, my tasks come first. Until I am done, she is to do nothing. Secondly, only my grandson or myself operate the slides.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dan, if you decide to use the locks be sure to tape a note to the switches to remove the travel locks before extending the slides. I know that you may have a sticker to this effect by the switch but that can get overlooked.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #12
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey DFR, my slide locks are carpeted pieces of wood that go between wall and front of slide edge! There is one on each end of slide, I use them all the time! As for wife remind her that the RV lifstyle is all about relaxing and enjoying life, and there is no need for being a bit impatient !!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #13

I guess my take on this is very simple. I did not design nor engineer our coach and am willing to concede that those who did just may know more than me on this subject. If you think about the fact that RV manufacturers are notorious for cutting any corner possible to save even pennies. Why would they not have taken out the slide locks if there was not a chance that they would ever be needed. It takes less than a minute to engage or disengage the locks on my 2 slides so it just becomes part of my start-up or set-up procedure. Ken, '04 DSDP.
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DFR,

Allow me to share a little secret that many RVers have. At one time or another, we unintentionally opened up our slides with the locks or straps still secured. The resultant damage led us to one of two conclusions. Either remember to remove the locks before opening the slide or don't use the locks at all. Since you have full-body slides and seem like a sensible person, I'd suggest option 1 (remove the locks before opening the slide). As for the rest of us, it's probably too late.

Jack
2004 Brave 34D