Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Slide motor failure?

We loaded up to leave this morning, and had serious issues pulling in the slide. The motor was moving, but at a snails crawl. It was insanely slow and probably took 20 minutes to get the slide in. At our new location, the motor pushed the slide out just fine, but trying to bring it back in shows the same problem-so I don't think it's an issue with getting voltage to the motor. I fear the motor is dying? Is there a way to troubleshoot this, and more importantly-where can I find a good replacement? I've googled the part number, and it comes up with zero results.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
TravelingJ, there are many slide systems out there, it would be helpful if you posted your coach details and anything else you know about your system.

I had a failure in my Newmar rear slide that turned out to be the drive shaft actually twisted so much from an improperly adjusted controller that it broke.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

2006 Dutchman 28F-DSL. It has about a 20 ft long slide with a small electric motor driving it. The motor is attached to one drive rail, that pushes the whole thing out. Here is what it reads on the motor sticker:

VMC07508766
58 to 1 Ratio
Max Oper 30AMP
12v
Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is a Power Gear slide motor. I could see the "motor" number on the side; but it was not until I removed the 4 bolts holding it on that I fould the "assembly" number. I Googled the assembly number snd came up with a match. Also Power Gear is supposed to have 10.5 volts minimum under load.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #5

Would take amperage draw reading while operating slide first
Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TravelingJ,
I know you posted you do not think it is the batteries, but please recheck the batteries as you try to close the slide. There could be another problem with keeping the batteries fully charged when you are parked.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This PDF says that house batteries should be fully charged if weak coach should be plugged into shore power. You may also have engine running to get alternator to help.
Make sure you have nothing that has fallen into space under bed that will jam operation of slide, could bend threaded travel rod.
Motor is geared low for slow operation by design.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If it pushes it out ok, the motor is fine. Same motor, turning in the opposite direction. You have something messed up, either in the gear that runs it in, or something is blocking the inward progress, making the motor work really hard to get it in. I'd be looking for carpet bunching up under the slide or maybe it is binding on a side or top/bottom as it comes in.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Would take amperage draw reading while operating slide first
Will do....but how? I'm sure I can figure out amperage on the voltmeter, just not sure where to check it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
Mine is a Power Gear slide motor. I could see the "motor" number on the side; but it was not until I removed the 4 bolts holding it on that I fould the "assembly" number. I Googled the assembly number snd came up with a match. Also Power Gear is supposed to have 10.5 volts minimum under load.
Okay, good to know. I'll check the voltage coming to the wires, and then yank the whole ordeal off and look for more part numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi TravelingJ,
I know you posted you do not think it is the batteries, but please recheck the batteries as you try to close the slide. There could be another problem with keeping the batteries fully charged when you are parked.
I see what you are saying, the shore power might not be fully charging the battery, but the truck managed to juice it up? If that's the case, wouldn't it have pulled back in fine when it was pushing out fine? I will check it, though. Anything to avoid buying a new one.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";721184][B][URL="http://www.mo-fl.com/Slideout/full_Standard_slide_room_information.pdf
This PDF[/URL][/B] says that house batteries should be fully charged if weak coach should be plugged into shore power. You may also have engine running to get alternator to help.
Make sure you have nothing that has fallen into space under bed that will jam operation of slide, could bend threaded travel rod.
Motor is geared low for slow operation by design.
I do know it's supposed to be slow, but I've had this since new. This is the slowest it has been in 4 years-so something isn't right. I will inspect the rod and under the bed. I did check for carpet binding as it came in, and nothing there.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW Is the coach level? If it is leaning towards the "Out" side it will have more load when you are trying to bring it "IN". If it is level try tilting the coach to favor the "IN" mode and see if there is a change.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #12

It is level, and a travel trailer, not a coach (don't know if the matters). The jacks say not to use them to lift the trailer, so I can't really change the level at this point.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think it matters whether it is a coach or TT. The problem is that it is not the same both ways. Does your slide tilt by design as it goes in and out? Do you have any extra weight within the slide? If you push from the outside as it goes In will it move faster?

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #14

I haven't had a chance to trouble shoot today, so unfortunately that's going to have to wait till tomorrow ) = I plan to test all the electrical parts first thing in the morning, and might be able to look for binding issues tonight after work.

Flagelpater-yes, the slide does tilt by design as it comes in and out. We do not have any extra weight on the slide, in fact we've removed some of the weight even. We did push on it yesterday, and it was faster-very little, but it was noticeable. It's a massive slide, so our pushing can only do so much, I'd assume.