Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Slide not Working

My living room slide is acting totally weird, sometimes it will come in and go out with no issues. Today it took several tries for me to get it in and then when we got back, it took several attempts to open. I make sure the rig is level , etc. Can't find anyplace it is dragging and don't believe we have to much stuff stowed in the drawers, etc. Not sure which power supply it runs off from, guessing house batteries. Wondering if they are bad, would that cause it to run for a minute and then act like it trips some switch, wait a minute and it will run again for a few inches...Any ideas....

Joe

pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like classic low voltage operation where the corresponding circuit breaker trips, cools and resets; motor operates for a couple seconds and the process repeats. Assure good voltage and retest operation.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #3

I charged the house batteries for 6 hrs with a trickle charger and it seemed to help. I drove over 600 miles in the past two days and was hoping the house batteries would have been charged, but when I put the rear slide (small) it went right out with no problems. But the big slide in the living room still would move maybe 5 or 6 inches and then it got down to 2 or 3 inches before it stopped. I am beginning to think the wife might have the drawers under the dinette way over loaded with pots and pans and other items. I know the storage units don't have maybe 100 lbs total in them. Any ideas what to check? Plan on pulling the house batteries completely out and have them checked, but other than that I am a total loss...
Old 09-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
You better start doing the following.
Locate the motor.
Disconnect the motor wires along with the brake wires. Should be 2 wires each per cap.
Put car next to the rig, using jumper cables make the connections.
See what happens. If it works well, then start looking
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Make sure motor is running, most electric slides work off chassis batteries. I also have shore power hooked up if it is available. As Scotty says the more power the better it is for the ship.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

Ok, thanks for the tips, got under the rig this morning and found the motor for the slide, hidden behind my hydraulic jack hoses, etc. Also found the manual connection incase I have to use a ratchet and socket to get it in or out. I know when I put it in last time, I had shore power hooked up and it didn't seem to matter, also had the rig running this time and it didn't help when putting it out. Still plan on taking the house batteries out and have them tested, the engine battery is holding a charge and doing it's job ok. Just weird the rear slide goes in and out fine, but the living room one is the problem. As soon as it gets a little cooler, I plan on crawling under the slide and inspect the rollers, rails, etc. Will check the motor connections and see if I can see a way to disconnect them and try the jumper cable idea. Anyone know how to put a trickle charger on two 6 volts that are hooked up to provide 12 v (guessing). I know when I put the 12 v charger on them, it got real hot, but might have been going to ground, not understanding how they are hooked together. Thanks for all the help...

Joe
Old 09-13-2014, 05:23 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
two 6 volt batteries should be wired in series ( + of one to - of other ) with each other to produce 12 vdc. There is a only a jumper cable between them. Connect charger to the + and - post that are at opposite ends of the jumper cable posts of batteries corresponding to polarity (+ to + and - to - ).
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi pddgm,
Consider not messing with the batteries unless you have a meter. They are not expensive and the local auto parts store should have a selection. Purchase a meter that will measure VDC to .1 volts. Also consider a portable battery pack. Their main use is jump starting cars. The auto parts store should have a selection. When owning a coach they come in very handy. One could use the battery pack to connect directly to the slide motor. That will tell you, instantly, if coach power or something else is the problem. Be careful when operating a slide with a battery pack. None of the safeguards in the coach circuit are available. The only way to stop the slide is to turn off the battery pack.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide