Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #15

We have a living room slide and didn't think it made that much diff. untill the switch failed and we couldn't put it out one weekend. What a diff. it makes in comfort and livability. very glad we bought it. Scotty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mud dawbers? I would guess could do damage to any type of RV, with or without slides if you don't maintain your rig, as well as any other number of real or imagined pests. I wouldn't let one case of a bug infestation influence my decision on slides. And as for interior room with the slides in- we have no problem getting around to the fridge, table, or bathroom with the slides in and in fact load up for a trip with the slides in. The only thing we can't use with the slides in is the bottom drawers of the bedroom cabinets. We can even sleep in the bedroom with the slide in if we want. The slides have awnings over them and squeegy seals around them that protect from water. We've camped through some very rainy weekends and never had any water problems, and the extra room inside was greatly appreciated while being couped up due to inclement weather! I'd say if you can afford it go with the slides as you won't regret it. They really don't add that much to the cost of a new rig but sure make a difference in comfort while using and resale when trading!

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easyrider:
Mud dawbers? I would guess could do damage to any type of RV, with or without slides if you don't maintain your rig, as well as any other number of real or imagined pests. I wouldn't let one case of a bug infestation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The presence of one nest prevented the seal from closing properly and let water seep into the structure around the slide and since the unit was on a storage lot it went unnotice until it was too late. Not my unit but you really felt for the poor chap when you saw the extent of the damage. Any other variety of items blow up by the wind could have caused a similar event.

Even owners of new quarter million dollar coaches are heard on this site complaining about leaking slide seals causing them grief. Eyes open to the fact that not all is rosey when it comes to slides and they are not really an absolute must for everyone.

Regards,

Neil
Old 01-25-2006, 04:32 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The presence of one nest prevented the seal from closing properly and let water seep into the structure around the slide and since the unit was on a storage lot it went unnotice until it was too late. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could see mud daubers building a nest around my slides when it was out, but if the coach was in storage the slides would be in and it would be the same as a no slide coach. I looked at my slides and see no way mud daubers could cause more of a problem with the slides in than a no lide coach.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
see no way mud daubers could cause more of a problem with the slides in than a no lide coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

That is usually the case, it is the things that we can't see that get us. This guy didn't see it comming until it was too late and boy did he and everyone else watching the repairs that had to be done as a result see. Exactly how things got jammed up was not as important to me as the end results of what happened and those results are not anything that I want to ever have to deal with.

To be honest I was still tempted at the Supershow in Tampa by the HaulMarks with two slides but I resisted and will stay with my Vectra for a while longer. At least it is all paid for, well except for the gas that is.

Kindest regards,

Neil
Old 01-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #20

I mostly dry camp, and focus my attention outward, to wherever I'm visiting. My 93 Winnebago Brave is a very comfortable place for DW and me to sleep and cook, and hang out with friends under its huge awning. I've never used its TV. But if you plan to spend lots of time in your MH, and especially if you have a family, I think a slide is the way to go.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:01 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...It's silly to think that slides will cause a significant decrease in mileage. Further, some of the replys make the maintenance sound mind boggling. All that is generally required is a little lube spray on occassion.

My wife gets up and gets me something to eat or drink all of the time. Most motorhomes with slides still leave everything accessible...

Campground size is rarely a problem either, the biggest adjustment I make is to pull the coach ahead or back alittle to clear an obstacle.

...To each his own, but I always think of the guy who says that he only buys cars with crank-up windows because power windows will eventually fail... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent post, Don.

I'm still ROFLMAO about the mud dauber posts.
I cannot believe someone would actually NOT buy a slide-equipped MH based on that!
He's GOT to be pulling our leg...

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catdave:
I'm still ROFLMAO about the mud dauber posts.
I cannot believe someone would actually NOT buy a slide-equipped MH based on that!
He's GOT to be pulling our leg... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

Tere were many considerations, I looked at about 100 or so coaches in the past few months and saw what I needed to see to determine that a used slide equipped coach was not for me. The poor chap with the failed gasket due to an or a few insect nests, blown in twigs, or what have you had a devastating amount of damage which some would have declared a total loss and not bothered to have repaired. He basically lost the drivers side of his coach. Myself I was just a bystander watching this saga unfold. Then there were all the coaches that I saw with twisted or broken drivers seats because someone didn't slide it foward enough to clear the slide when it was closed. There was also the damage to the flooring and walls where it was abraided or torn from the slide opening and closing. Then there were the sagging slides. Then the were the majority of coaches that I could not sit comfortably in because the closed slide required the drivers seat to be slid too far foward for me to fit comfortably. Then there was the extra $10,000 to $30,000+ asking price for the slide equipped coaches. I saw all variations and combinations of the this.

The entire picture when I considered all of the above makes a used coach with slides a very unattractive proposition to me. I am not going on hearsay, I pounded the pavement and checked these things out for myself and saw what did and did not work for me. I did not just look inside the coaches in a cursory examiniation but crawled underneath and on top. I shoved a digital camera into hatches and access panels to see what was behind everything and you would be surprised how many seemingly great looking coaches were pretty messed up between the walls and underneath.

A slide may seem nice at times but it does come at an expense that some put on their blinders to so as not to see and that some may find that they can do without. We can not dogmatically declare that everybody must have a slide and that there is no other sane choice.

"I did X because of Y" is a fair piece of advice however "Eveyone must do X because I did" is not quite the same but is what you get from some people who push slides.

As they refine the seals and start using more rot resistant materials, address that some people are over 5' 8" tall and these units start to hit the used market in economical coaches then a slide may become a future consideration for me but for now it is not.

BTW: I was able to pay cash for the coach without slides and own it free and clear.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #23

Neil,

I agree with you. I wanted a coach with solid wood. Diesel power. 6sp Allison. Corian. Solar. Inverter. Large water capacity. Plenty of carrying capacity. U-Line ice. W/D. Full body paint. and on and on.

I bought a '96 Safari, no slides, and I am as happy as a clam...Plus I own it for less than $30K.

Jim
Old 02-11-2006, 02:56 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skp_member:
Neil,

I agree with you. I wanted a coach with solid wood. Diesel power. 6sp Allison. Corian. Solar. Inverter. Large water capacity. Plenty of carrying capacity. U-Line ice. W/D. Full body paint. and on and on.

I bought a '96 Safari, no slides, and I am as happy as a clam...Plus I own it for less than $30K.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

I was looking for a sub $20K Class A from the mid 1990's and ended up with the 95 Vectra on the P32 gas platform. With the light ash cabinetry and planked floors it is airy and bright. With the Jet Air rear suspension I got a very easy to drive coach that handles wind, pitching roads and passing semi's with ease. Basement Air, 7Kw Onan power and flourecent main lighting throughout the coach just add a bit of icing to the cake. Plenty of pass through basement storage for my needs too.

Plus, I don't have to worry about experiencing what Cappy is going through with his New 2006 Sightseer that Leaks. I wonder as I read the ordeal that he is going through how many other people are having similar problems and don't know it yet because the visible signs of what is going on behind the scenes have not presented themselves yet. I can only imagine the flood of emotions that must be hitting him as the situation has continued to unfold.

Hope you continue to enjoy your Safari. Keep up with it's needs and you should continue to enjoy it for some time to come.

Regards,

Neil