Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2006, 06:37 AM   #1

It seems that most class As, and Cs, for that matter, come with slides now. I know that the extra width is nice, but it comes with a price, both $ and maintenance, etc.

Has anyone got a class A WITHOUT any slides and think that is a good idea?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2006, 06:37 AM   #2

It seems that most class As, and Cs, for that matter, come with slides now. I know that the extra width is nice, but it comes with a price, both $ and maintenance, etc.

Has anyone got a class A WITHOUT any slides and think that is a good idea?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Old 01-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #3

A far a class "A's" are concerned the resale value and the demand, for that matter, support buy a unit with slides. Even the earlier single slides are very low in demand. It seems people now, even buying used, want 2 or 3 slides. To see an example of this look at a coach that came without and with in the same vintage. Even though high end it shows the demand. Check an '02 Prevost H3-45 with no slides and then one with two slides. The price for the slide versions are 50% more. This isn't because the slides cost that much it's the fact that if you are selling one without the market is very small thus you must reduce the price to attract a buyer. Go the slide way, you will be happy you did for both livability as well as retained value.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There are people who are devoted to non-side RVs but they are distinctly in a minority. That means poor resale value on non-slide or even single slide models. On the other hand, you can buy some gorgeous, non-slide rigs for a pittance. High end rigs without slides can be had for much less than even an entry level unit with two slides. If you have always dreamed of owning a Bluebird or a Vogue, check around for a non-slide model - you will be plesantly surprised at the price tag.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we were looking for a class A two years ago we were thinking we could get along fine without slides. I started checking the websites for used rigs and I noticed immediatly that if all else was equal the motorhome with the slides had a much greater resale value than the same rig without slides. I decided it was prudent to seriously consider getting a slide out rig. We got one with two slides and am very happy with it. I reelly think that for resale or trade in value getting slides is the best way to go. It also meant we were able to get a shorter motorhome which is easier to drive and find a campsite for, yet have the same square footage of a much longer motorhome without slides.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, We had a smaller class A (27") that I really liked cause it was easy to get around in, didn't need a toad, even parallel parked on main drag in Marietta, OH (2 car spaces) when we couldn't get into the parking lot because of overhead clearance. My DW wanted something larger & we looked & bought one with 2 slides. I don't think I could go back to a non-slide coach now no matter how luxurious or inexpensive it was. Just my feeling on the subject. I really hate to admit she was right.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #7

I have to go with everyone else here. The resale value alone is a good enough reason. Haveing a 5er with two slides it makes a huge difference in living comfort.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #8

Thanks, everybody. Lots of good info. Im convinced.

Be well,

Hack
--//--
Old 01-22-2006, 03:41 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ehackney:
Thanks, everybody. Lots of good info. Im convinced.

Be well,

Hack
--//-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hack,

My wife and I were at the RV SuperShow in Tampa yesterday and were considering if we should upgrade from our 95 Vectra 33RQ without slides to a newer unit with slides and after touring the current offerings we could not find a really compelling reason to do so. While resale value is a consideration there are other factors to weigh such as cost of ownership of slides which can hit you in the form of maintenance, repairs, fuel economy, loss of cargo space and cramped travel space. On many coaches we looked at neither my wife or I could put the drivers seat into a comfortable position when the slide was retracted for travel. My two daughters agreed that even though the slides were nice when opened that the traveling conditions with the slides closed were generally less atractive than on our current coach in others even with the slides opened on coaches of greater length we felt more cramped than in our current coach. In my personal case even if I could not sell my coach and took a total loss, it would be pretty close to equal to, or possibly even less than, the first years depreciation on something a little newer with a slide.

It is a matter of personal choice and you may want to consider looking at both slide and non-slide coaches from all angles not just resale but cost of ownership/repair, setup/breakdown, when traveling and when at camp.

Some friends have found that, when traveling as just a couple, that the could do without it and remove the barrel chair and make things seem so spacious and cavernous compared to when the chair was there.

Just a viewpoint from the other side. Please ingnore if you fear you'll get warts, heart palpitations, housemaids knee, tennis elbow, migrains, etc from this kind of thinking.

Regards,

Neil
Old 01-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #10

Neil, you hit the nail on the head. I didn't buy my motorhome to resell it. I bought it to travel in comfort. I have looked at the slides and, at first, wished I could have one. But, upon looking at some with the slides closed, I changed my mind. When rolling down the road and I want a cold drink, my wife can get me one out of the fridge. In a slide machine, it's more difficult. Also, after staying in a couple of CGs, there are many CGs where you can't put out the slides because of the space size.

Why pay more and have more maintenance and gas consumption just so you can sell it at a higher price later.

It's very difficult to even find non-sliders any more. I got lucky. Mine was a used and kept in fine condition with only 32,000 miles...just broken in; and at a great price.

National quit making the Surfside for a few years and they're back. We just looked at one and as much as I like the Surfside, the new one has a slide or two. If I trade mine in for newer, I know that I'll have to have a slide which I don't want.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I read this tread and had to comment....sorry....I've had both slide and non-slide motorhomes. My 32' Fleetwood Terra with a twelve foot slide outperformed my Class "C" non-slide coach and got better mileage. It's silly to think that slides will cause a significant decrease in mileage. Further, some of the replys make the maintenance sound mind boggling. All that is generally required is a little lube spray on occassion.

My wife gets up and gets me something to eat or drink all of the time. Most motorhomes with slides still leave everything accessible. I don't worry about interior mobility and living space when the coach is in motion.

Campground size is rarely a problem either, the biggest adjustment I make is to pull the coach ahead or back alittle to clear an obstacle.

Finally, who wouldn't want more space in a shorter length. The airy feeling of a slide out rig makes the space more appealing. I do agree that you should buy a rig to enjoy it rather than worry about resale. However, saying non-slide coaches are better than slide coaches is crazy. To each his own, but I always think of the guy who says that he only buys cars with crank-up windows because power windows will eventually fail. It's just not so, technollogy is great and has made most things, including RV's, more reliable.

Hack....buy a coach with a slide and enjoy life!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #12

Thanks everybody. 'Interesting exchange and good information.

Since we are buying used, we will be limited to what we find, but right now, I think I would want at least a living room slide. Those MHs that I have been in just seem to be more roomy and inviting with a slide in the living area. A slide in the BR, though it may help the resale (and I guess add to the initial purchase cost) I consider optional. That may change later also.

Thanks again, everybody.

Hack
--//--
Old 01-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #13

My 86 Bluebird did not have slides and my current 04 Bluebird does. I wish i could easily go back to an older wide body bird.

My opinions on slides generally follow the usual reasons. However, I certainly do like the ease of use and the extra room when staying in place for a while, though.
1. In general one loses structural integrity on the whole vehicle--to keep this from happening the stucture is beefed up adjacent ot the opening--adds some weight. There is a weight increase from the slide mechanism also.
2. One loses storage capability due to the drive mechanisms--either in cabinetry in the living area or in the bays underneath.
3. There is a significant weight penalty for a slide as compared to a like non slide vehicle--to the point where CC is drastically reduced. I suspect most RV folks don't what their rigs actually weigh--this is true from my limited sampling.
4. There is usually an opportunity to have water come in with the slide. After a lengthy stay one also has to be a little careful about dirt and leaves on top.
5. Not a factor for me but advice for cold weather camping is to leave the slides in.
6. One must be aware of work-arounds to deploy or retract the slides in the event they do not work as advertised.
7. Levelers should be deployed when using the slides--adds some stability. More moving parts. In my old coach I just parked it--and used the levelers only if i wanted to.

Some of my most entertaining moments, other than dump stations, have been observing folks fool with slides.

A little pitch for Bluebird. Their slide out deployed proximity indicator is the best in the business. There is a loud audible warning, and all the stars are in colors.

Regards,
Jim Scoggins
04 Bluebird M380 ( 2 slides)
formally 86 Bluebird PT40 9non slide)

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Scoggins:
My 86 Bluebird did not have slides and my current 04 Bluebird does. I wish i could easily go back to an older wide body bird.

In my old coach I just parked it--and used the levelers only if i wanted to.

Some of my most entertaining moments, other than dump stations, have been observing folks fool with slides.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

Where I picked up my Non-Slide Coach I watched with keen interest the day by day saga that unfolded as a gentlman found out how much damage his Fleetwood had taken from a/some mud dawber nest(s) that had gone unnoticed and damaged his slide seal. It went from cleanup and replace the seal to a little bit of repair of the paneling to pulling the slide completely out to repair the apeture around it to a total gut out and replacement of most of that side of the unit. The deeper they dug into it the worse it got. The owner didn't have a clue that he was in such bad shape until they started pealing things back to find something good to attach to. I would have considered having them eliminate the slide and just frame it all in solid.

It was educational to say the least. I really like my coach the way it is and don't find the newer slide units compelling enough to make a switch. Especially now after seeing the heartbreak you could go through when one goes bad and for something as simple as a mud dawber.

To each his own but for now not for me.

Regards,

Neil