Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Slide out awning flapping

Hi,
My coach is 7 years old now.
After dealing with my slide out awnings flapping on windy nights I have finally designed a simple device to stop it that can be installed without climbing on your roof or a ladder and easily removed. It will also collapse for better storage. I have measured several slide outs from class A to towables and sized it to fit most all.

Here is my question. Before I move forward and try to build a prototype or get a patent and have them made I would like to hear from all you other folks with "flappers". Do you think it is worth my time and money. To solve this problem, what would you consider a price limit for the fix?

For all you that respond
Thank you

Denjen
denjen1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #2

Before you build anything I would take the blue prints to someone at a shop you trust and get some prices for cost of construction. The reason I say this is that you may be able to build the best device ever, but if it's not cost effective for the potential buyers you're never going to sell them.

Flapping slide covers are generally a function of age and condition. The older they are the more the fabric stretches and the weaker the springs become. New units don't seem to have mch trouble in this area so your market would be people with coaches a few years old. You have to come with something cheap enough that it will be more appealing than replacing either the fabric or the complete unit.

We just went through this decision process on our Adventurer. We did a cost analysis between attempting to repair the existing unit and totally replacing it. In the end the price to repair was so close to the replacement price we decided replacement would be the most cost effective for the long term.

In short you're going to have to build a product that is marketed to owners of coaches the have a problem with the slide cover flapping, but the cover has not deteriorated to the point it needs complete replacement. In would be an interm fix (possibly for several years) that would delay replacement or take them to the point the motorhome itself would be replaced.

Sounds like a great product but I would do some research BEFORE investing money that you may never recover
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I already invented a device. It costs $2.00 and works perfect every time.

I throw a rope over the awning and tie it down.

So, for myself, I'd say don't do it. However you may want to go ahead and do it...you never know, it might take off like gangbusters.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #4

I agree with both Hikerdog and Arch. I used the rope for several years and then eventually replaced the covers as they were 8 years old and were past due. All is fine. I would buy a device but only if it were comparably priced to an inflatable beach ball or a piece of rope.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #5

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Done the rope too, but found grommets on the edge of the fabric along with a bunge and rope works. Just lift bunge with rope attached to one end and hook other end in grommet. Use telescoping wash pole to lift the hook of the bunge and drop into grommet. Tie off on slide rail. Very quick to install. Never had one tear out yet and been in wind where one accross street ripped.