Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide-out awning repair

Although I have a Holiday Rambler, this has to do with Carefree of Colorado awnings. Two of mine on the curb side had the stitching come loose. Both ends were okay, it was in the middle. About 4 ft on one and 2 feet on the other. Called Carefree and the reviewed with me my options. All of which was to replace awning. Contacted the retailer they gave me 3 weeks ago. Called several other times but still a no show. (I live in the Keys) Jobs are taken lightly here...
Called another RV'er and he had just removed his. Come to find out that the slide awnings are twice as long as they need to be. Rolled up on the tube. With this system about 3 inches are always exposed to the elements. You can cut off the three inches and resew the pocket and re-install. Removal and replacement totals about 1 hour. Only cost is a couple of beers and then whatever it costs to sew. PM me and I will walk you through the process.

WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Very timely information for me. Thank-you! I just brought home our "new to us" rig two weekends ago and had a high-wind voyage that pulled apart the seams on the driver's side slide awning.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #3

Camping World sell clear tape marked as awning repair tape. I think it is about $10 per roll. Mine was torn at the leading edge and the tape did a good job on it. It has lasted about a year and is still going strong. Click link below:

RV Awning Repair Tape - Item - Camping World

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Well...pulled mine off yesterday. Yup, just as you said, there is a lot of extra length. Be taking it to a canvas repair shop tomorrow to have the pocket re-sewn...
Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As previously reported, we also had a bad section with the "unrolled portion". In removing the canvas we found lots that had never seen the light of day. Simply turned it around. Both canvas side channels are the same size so swapping the round plastic inserts (2 different diameters) was required to accomodate the aluminum channels which are different sizes.
We did a little seam repairing which should "last forever" as it will never be unrolled.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Awning repair

Good idea to simply turn the awning material around and re insert. Unfortunately on mine the inter pocket was/is much smaller. Plus the spline was sewn in, not just slipped in the pocket.

WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote