Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Slide out awning replacement

I have a 2009 Monaco Monarch with approx. a 24' slide-out awning that has just ripped and needs to be replaced. This is a carefree awning and looks different than the a&e awning which I'm more familiar with. Would like to replace this myself but a little gun shy because of the length and it looks a little different than other awnings. Anyone have experiance in replacing a carefree awning or can steer me to more info or videos?
Caseysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #2

Carefree awning replacement manual pdf. Pay strict attention to unwinding/winding the spring. A broken wrist is a result of inattention.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Carefree awning replacement manual pdf. Pay strict attention to unwinding/winding the spring. A broken wrist is a result of inattention.
Thanks for the link, it was for a patio awning install and I was looking for a slideout fabric replacement for my slideout. But it did lead me to the Carefree company so maybe they can help me more...
Thanks for your help..
Old 08-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #4

I wish I had good news but mine is a carefree 29ft long and the stitches rotted. To much for me to handle so,I to it to C.W yes I knew better. Long story short they installed wrong has a rip right up the middle and I'm working trying to get them to replace.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Community Administrator

See post # 4 and pm him.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/care...nt-109499.html

Also , maybe you can post them here when you get them. Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

Went to an old thread where Rex had a write up on the replacement of the carefree slideout fabric. Wondering if he still has this?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseysplace View Post
Went to an old thread where Rex had a write up on the replacement of the carefree slideout fabric. Wondering if he still has this?
Only one way to find out. As I suggested , PM him

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread on tightening the slide topper.

Slide topper replacement
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
The wind ripped the fabric on one of our slide covers a year or so ago while we were on the road in the middle of Utah. I pulled the fabric out and put in the basement. My wife and I try to do everything we can ourselves. We happened to pass through National City (near San Diego) and purchased fabric at UFO. Came home to Oregon and looked at the web sites for information on awning fabric replacement. We followed closely the guidelines/instructions and did not have a problem. We have put over 15K on the RV since then and the fabric seems to be holding up real well. So bottom line is if you are reasonable handy and careful you can do the replacement. As mentioned there is a lot of torque in the springs so you need to be careful. We park our RV inside a building so did not have weather or wind concerns and could take plenty of time to think it through. No special tools were needed. Hope this helps you a bit.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
The wind ripped the fabric on one of our slide covers a year or so ago while we were on the road in the middle of Utah. I pulled the fabric out and put in the basement. My wife and I try to do everything we can ourselves. We happened to pass through National City (near San Diego) and purchased fabric at UFO. Came home to Oregon and looked at the web sites for information on awning fabric replacement. We followed closely the guidelines/instructions and did not have a problem. We have put over 15K on the RV since then and the fabric seems to be holding up real well. So bottom line is if you are reasonable handy and careful you can do the replacement. As mentioned there is a lot of torque in the springs so you need to be careful. We park our RV inside a building so did not have weather or wind concerns and could take plenty of time to think it through. No special tools were needed. Hope this helps you a bit.
Just like you I have studied different videos on the web etc. Trouble is that it's a carefree awning and seems to be different than most other awning. A&E awning seem to be no problem but the carefree is a tad more difficult it seems...Looking for something to guide me through the steps....
Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Would this provide information that might help?
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/do...e%20Manual.pdf
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Would this provide information that might help?
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/do...e%20Manual.pdf

Thanks anyway but this is for the patio awning,,,Probably going to bite the bullet and call a mobile rv guy to come over and hopefully he has the knowledge and will let me assist so I will know what the heck I'm doing next time...
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced the fabric in my Carefree of Colorado slide out topper this spring (fabric was MIA when I bought it, turns out spring was also broke, so had to replace that also - SoK2). Wasn't all that difficult, but mine is only 14', i did it by myself. A 24' would be a little more difficult, but 2 or 3 people should be able to do it fine. A little spray silicone grease can help slide the fabric end into the awning rail. It will be important to avoid dragging the fabric against the end of the rail as your pulling it into the channel to avoid tearing the new fabric. This is where a 2nd or 3rd person will help a great deal.

Carefree was helpful and emailed me the replacement guide (already had it from their website) and the spring tension guide (which I didn't have). The spring guide had several models of slide toppers on it, the number of turns required varied. I should still have this if you PM me, I can email it to you.
Shadow520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

I had two of my topper covers receive tears while on a trip this summer. An RV tech and myself took them off and I was thinking about replacing them, however I contacted a awning company in the town to sew them. I took them down to the awning place and upon inspection they said the material was still in very good condition and recommended a simple patch. While off I had him sew all the seams again as well as putting the patches on. Worked for me.
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, replace, replacement, slide, slide out