Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
After reading some conflicting posts on the forum I am confused....

When I did the PDI on my new motorhome a few months back the technician was very specific as to the proceedure for slides being moved in or out. He strongly recommended: 1) Slides out 2) Dump Air and 3) Jacks Down . To bring the slides in: 1) Air Up 2) Jacks Up 3) Slides In. He said that moving the slides in or out while the jacks were down might cause torquing of the slide itself, sidewalls, frame, etc. My manual states only that the jacks should be up and the air suspension should be supporting the chassis.

Am I missing something?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
After reading some conflicting posts on the forum I am confused....

When I did the PDI on my new motorhome a few months back the technician was very specific as to the proceedure for slides being moved in or out. He strongly recommended: 1) Slides out 2) Dump Air and 3) Jacks Down . To bring the slides in: 1) Air Up 2) Jacks Up 3) Slides In. He said that moving the slides in or out while the jacks were down might cause torquing of the slide itself, sidewalls, frame, etc. My manual states only that the jacks should be up and the air suspension should be supporting the chassis.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #3

My MH doesn't have air suspension, so I can't comment on that part of it, but my understanding has always been that the jacks should be down and the MH level BEFORE putting out the slides. An unlevel MH is more likely to twist the frame and cause problems with the slides.

The same in reverse--bring in the slides and then raise the jacks. Someone else will have to fill in the missing air suspension part.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:25 AM   #4

Leap, I am going to watch this closely.

My understanding is to level your coach with the jacks before sending the slides out. I do not understand how we should open or close them without the coach being level.

Most of the time I am out of level without using the jacks and feel that the slides would be in a bind if I put them out first.

?????
Old 06-04-2007, 06:35 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E Z Livin:
Leap, I am going to watch this closely.

My understanding is to level your coach with the jacks before sending the slides out. I do not understand how we should open or close them without the coach being level.

Most of the time I am out of level without using the jacks and feel that the slides would be in a bind if I put them out first.

????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto that operation for my Allegro.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-04-2007, 06:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I guess it made sense when doing the PDI from the perspective that when the jacks were up and the air was supporting the motorhome the frame would be less rigid. If there was a problem with the slides moving in or out in this configuration the frame could flex some to accommodate.

I wonder if a call to Monaco is in order???
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #7

You are correct. Mr Lord, I was told from Holiday stated the same. He said it was built that way on the air bags and should be sent out and in on the air bags. I didn't hear it and it is 2nd hand from the Pusher group I belong to. I have a Holiday Endeavor.

07 Trailbazer HRRVC-Webmaster
discfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as I know most if not all gassers are supposed to level and then extend the slides, however many diesels with air suspensions say to extend slides and then level.
Since it depends on the particular motor home, if the manual isn't clear I would check with the manufacturer.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It definitely varies by motorhome brand and model and sometimes the different procedures seem arbitrary - merely one "expert" disagreeing with another.

But there is a usually a different procedure with air leveling versus air suspension with hydraulic jack leveling versus spring suspension with hydraulic jacks. Following what somebody else does is likely to be wrong for you.

I would do what the PDI tech said and, if in doubt, consult the manual or the manufacturer's customer service
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My owners manual from Monaco for my 37' gas Lapalma, states to extend the slides, lower jacks and then reverse to bring slides in. Jacks retracted, slides in. I have a workhorse W24 chassis. I confirmed this procedure during the PDI and with Monaco tech support.

Chuck & Mary
2006 Lapalma W24
2003 Lesabre Toad
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck & Mary:
My owners manual from Monaco for my 37' gas LaPalma, states to extend the slides, lower jacks and then reverse to bring slides in. Jacks retracted, slides in. I have a workhorse W24 chassis. I confirmed this procedure during the PDI and with Monaco tech support. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chuck & Mary, Regarding your W24. My owner's manual is 180? out of phase from yours. I don't understand how you could have been PDI'ed to the procedure they would have you subscribe to.

Level the motorhome first and foremost then extend the slides. Think about it, why would you want to extend the slides and impose unnecessary torque moments on your slideout equipment if you are tilted to any degree?

Slideouts are basically designed to go in and out quite easily in fact during the assembly process they can almost push them in and out by hand. Why? Because the vehicle in on a level surface and your not trying to overcome the force of gravity and the slideouts are very much a precision fit.

Going forward consider level first slideout 2nd. Reverse the process, slide in first then suck up the jacks.

I can't comment whether or not RDPs run the slides out as an initial process prior to dumping the bags, etc.

Your local, friendly, neighborhood forum associate. We got the good stuff.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #12

The Holiday Rambler website does say this in the Tech Tips section...

"The rule of thumb for motor homes and travel trailers is to first extend the slide room and then level the RV.

The slide room is an independent assembly. Therefore, a motor home must be squarely set on suspension prior to bringing in the slide room. Retract hydraulic jacks, or if equipped with air leveling, return the motor home to ride height before pulling in slides in."

However, the Winnebago website says...
"Leveling the coach is desired. This insures a flat cabin floor and smooth movement."

Bottom line, I guess they are all different, and when in doubt refer to your own brands website and info.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:45 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
DriVer

I agree with everything you say. It only makes sense to have it level. BUT, I can only go by the process the manufacture recommends. They must have a secret they are not telling us, or just checking to see if we read the owners manual!

Chuck
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #14
JRP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The rule of thumb for motor homes is to first extend the slide room and then level the RV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may be HR rule, but its certainly not the rule for MH in general. My DP on a Freightliner chassis, with air suspension and hydraulic leveling jacks says in bold print in the operating manuals to be sure to dump the air and level the coach before extending the slides. It makes sense if you consider the loads involved, that you would want a lower center of gravity and a level & supported frame, before adding those extra off center weights and torsional forces on the frame.

Jim
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote