Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide out pantry? Anyone made one?

The coach I am getting has a pantry but it has shelves. I was thinking about making trays that slide out. Has anyone done something like this?

Not sure if it would be better to build a one piece unit with a bottom slide tray and a slide on top to stabilize the assembly or to make seperate trays with drawer slides attached?

or would I be better just keeping the shelves it comes with?

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #2

Have never done it but sounds like a plan. I would just do the slides top and bottom. Less work and same result. Good luck.

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

We have one, came with MH. Ours is long narrow baskets on a slide out rack. I don't care for it because it doesn't really make good use of space. However, I could build a nicer one I think. I do plan to replace it with adjustable shelves.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Ours came with one also...I ordered more baskets from these people...BRD Supply
Old 04-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I have to build one I was trying to figure out the best method of attack also.

could do a frame with a fixed shelf in the middle..... but then How to handle the rails on the adjustable shelves?

My orig. though was to make fixed shelves with maybe threaded rod a couple of inches above the shelf for a rail to hold stuff on the shelf.
Something along this line:
http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/products/...48-TP-58-1.jpg

but leaving the door that is there already and just making a the unit that would fit inside

To buy one premade is out of the question, I can do it for much less

Too early yet as I don't even have the coach to measure but I am trying to get a plan of action going

So the concensus is the slide out would be a handy thing to have. I was thinking that as I have always had a tough time remembering what was in the back of even the regular cabinets.

It will be going in the area to the right in the picture, the big space is where the refrigerator is going. You can just see some adjustable brackets in the pantry area where I want to put the slide.

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/47...500x500Q85.jpg
Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
won't you lose space by putting in a slideout? With space being at a premium in rv's, I wouldn't do it. Maybe individual slideout shelves, but not a "unit"
Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #7

We installed 5 full extension sliding shelves from shelvesthatslide.com that were custom made to fit the size of our pantry. Made the pantry MUCH more useful as we could never reach stuff in the back of the skinny shelves. Very high quality wood work that looks great when the pantry door is opened and they slide smoothly. Were a breeze to install and pretty reasonably priced for solid wood.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #8

I have the baskets on a slide Makes it very convenient to find the stuff in the back.What you loose in space you make up in convenience.Shelves would have to be spaced much wider to reach the back
Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #9

The attached photo shows a mod I made in our TT pantry. I installed 3/4" plywood on either side to attach the rails and attached these to the bottom of the existing shelf. Basically a cabinet within a cabinet.

Thanks

Kelly Lipp
Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4277096884.png
Views:	54
Size:	751.7 KB
ID:	9633  
kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #10

our Southwind has a sliding pantry that has three fairly shallow shelves; it seems to be made up from pocket door hardware, so there's the engineering part; it definitely seems too small for it's purpose and if i were building it, i'd double the shelf depth and number of shelves. make it 8" deep and spaced appropriately for a 2liter bottle. anyway; it's built in and i'm not changing it.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4 View Post
won't you lose space by putting in a slideout? With space being at a premium in rv's, I wouldn't do it. Maybe individual slideout shelves, but not a "unit"
The pantry is 8 inches wide so I was thinking it would be even worse than the wider cabinets where you forget what is in back. Very hard to get at with that narrow space. I always discover a can of tuna or something at the end of the season that I forgot was there
Or I am always sorting through the cabinets to figure out what is there. I have made lists but was never able to keep them up. Seems I get to campgrounds and there is just too many other things to do and never take the item off the list after I use it...........
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylipp View Post
The attached photo shows a mod I made in our TT pantry. I installed 3/4" plywood on either side to attach the rails and attached these to the bottom of the existing shelf. Basically a cabinet within a cabinet.

Thanks

Kelly Lipp
Colorado
Mounting the slides on the side reduces the width of the drawer. I think a slide out unit makes more sense. The slides are on the top and bottom of the slide out unit. Then the shelves can be the full width of the opening. This also makes it easier to make the shelves adjustable.

Another thing to consider, that is not really needed in a home unit, is that the RV can bounce while traveling. The unit needs to be designed so that items on the shelves are not prone to blocking the slide out. If you've ever had a drawer where something gets caught, preventing the drawer from opening, you know what I mean.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #13

We had Newmar add the following custom pantry when we had the coach built. I added five more shelves, since the picture was taken and also a locking pin to lock the unit shut while traveling. In hindsight, I would modify the design so the door is at the end of the unit, instead of on one side, so items can be reached from both sides.

http://www.flyingdiver.com/blog/v/kg...r/DSC_1185.jpg

Sue
Old 04-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what I did.

1. I used the existing shelves as a base for the sliding shelves.

2. I made shelves out of 3/8" plywood. The side dimensions was designed
to clear the pantry door opening.

3. I then used 50# bottom slides (center mounted) to secure the sliding shelf to
stationary shelf.

After mounting the combined shelves back onto the brackets, I discovered that the rear of the stationary shelf would lift up when pulling the sliding shelf out. I fixed this by using a screw to hold the back of the stationary shelf in place.

I also used a 1/2" plastic "L" to create a small lip around the sliding shelf edges.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote