Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Slide Out Problem

We have a 05 Allegro Bus with 4 slides. Recently our front passenger slide has been shearing cotter pins when we open or close it. It seems that the regulator/limit switch does not work. Plus, since replacing the cotter pins several times I've noticed the square tube that goes over a round shaft is elongated. Any Suggestions??

js3775529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello jscham and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck and keep us posted.
First thing I would suggest you do is check the drive mechanism for cleanness and lubrication with a dry silicone type lubricant. Next I would check to be sure the room is in time (square in the main wall). I would suggest also that bolts be use in lieu of cotter pins. A 1/4" bolt with flat washers and nylox nut is usually the fastener used in this type of slide out mechanism. If everything that I have mentioned is good, then your assumption of a bad limiter may be correct. I think you may have a Power gear system and the slide out controller should be mounted in one of the compartments; usually on the ceiling of basement compartment. It will have a fuse and relay on it. Unfortunately, there is not an adjustment on this controller to vary the amperage before it trips out the relay. I think the problem may be just the cotter pins are not strong enough to do the job.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
I'm having a very similar problem (shears when it pulls up at full in) and bought grade 8 bolts with lock washers to address it. Unfortunatly, I figured out after the fact that the bolts need to be solid thru the coupling (threads should not be in the shear area). The threads reduce the shear area by about 25% and it will shear at that point. Looking for solid bolts now.

PS In the meantime I'm stopping before it pulls in completely (top contacts first while the bottom is out about an inch).
Ernie n Tara

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Originally Posted by Ernie n Tara View Post
...Looking for solid bolts now...
I just found some 2" x 1/4-20 Grade 8 bolts at Lowe's that had 1 1/8" long unthreaded shank. The square tubing is 1", so the unthreaded section is longer than the cross section of the tubing. All the 2" bolts I had previously found were about the same as the 1 1/2" long bolts with an unthreaded section about 7/8" long, so you may have to check around to find ones that have a 1 1/8" shank.

I cut about 3/8" off the 2" bolts and use 3 or 4 washers under the nut so the threads grab. Theoretically, these bolts with the longer unthreaded shank should last longer, but I don't know yet because I only recently installed several of them in our living room slide.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Thanks, I'll try there.
Ernie n Tara

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Slide out problem