Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slide-Out topper adjustment

One of my A&E Systems slide-out toppers sags and holds rain water. Is there an adjustment to take the sag out of the topper? If so, how is the adjustment done?

Thanks

Richard
2004 Newmar Kountry Star

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rain Heavy

No matter how much you adjust it, it will always slightly sag in the middle and hold rain water and slowly hold more & more.

If it is a real concern, there are some good write ups on making a center ridge pole out of 3/4" PVC with 6 "T" fittings. If it is a small short one, you can get by with just 4 "T"s.

Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I read somwhere, probably here, about a simple solution. A childs blow up beach balls. Inflate to size needed and put under the center of the awning. Sounds like a good cheap option.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Another option

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Boss-Pool-.../dp/B000DZMAZA
Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for the multiple posts but here they are at a much better price.

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/09...&CS_003=906191
Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #6

Hi, I just replaced my slide covers a few months ago. The only way I could see to adjust the tension would be to extend the slide and then turn the tube by hand and lock it with a cotter pin, (or something similar, I used a #10 finish nail an it got bent). Remove the the topper, remove the pin, while holding the tension by hand, and turn the tube 1/2 turn more, lock it in place, replace the topper, remove the pin and release the tension very slowly. Test if it is tight enough, repeat as needed to get proper tension. Or..... just live with it, like I did until the fabric needed replacing.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #7

These

are a whole lot cheaper than Girard Toppers/Awnings (which don't seem to have this problem but cost a fortune).
www.awningairwedge.com
Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Cool!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the replies.
As a motorhome newbie I'm still trying to figure everything all.

Richard
Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
Hi, I just replaced my slide covers a few months ago. The only way I could see to adjust the tension would be to extend the slide and then turn the tube by hand and lock it with a cotter pin, (or something similar, I used a #10 finish nail an it got bent). Remove the the topper, remove the pin, while holding the tension by hand, and turn the tube 1/2 turn more, lock it in place, replace the topper, remove the pin and release the tension very slowly. Test if it is tight enough, repeat as needed to get proper tension. Or..... just live with it, like I did until the fabric needed replacing.
I replaced my living room slide topper, a few months ago. Luckily the new fabric fits good and tight. The old fabric had begun to sag, before it got tore up in the Kansas wind.
I wouldn't have been to eager to take the whole thing apart, just to take some sag out of it.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
You can do as above says, but I would have someone assist you, and use caution, there is quite a bit of torque in the springs, and I have known others get hit three times, before hand got out of way.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If all else fails give this LINK a try, by all means get some help and be careful.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote