Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #1

Slide problems with Slide Show

2003 Tioga 23E slide - Imgur

2003 Tioga 23E. Slide will only extend 1/2 way. 1st assumption was that the slide was dragging more than usual. Looked outside and saw that slide is tilted in at the top (was it always that way?) Found rear height adjustment completely loose. One of the horizontal bolts was missing the nut and the jackbolt and other horizontal bolt nuts were completely loose.

Thought that since the slide was tilted in, and the height adjustment was loose, then I needed to bring the height adjustment down to fix the tilt. That didn't work. Slide extended even less before stopping.

Noticed that the right side (when looking from the inside) clearance was less than the right side. Adjusted the rails be separating the drive shaft and moving the rear (left when looking form the inside) out more. That didn't work. Slide extended even less before stopping. Put the adjustment almost back to where it was.

Thought that maybe the slide was dragging too much. Went back to the height adjustment and raised the slide all the way (this was less than 1 inch change). That didn't work. Slide extended about 1/2 way like before I started.

This all started while doing normal maintenance and checkout in preparation for the day when we get to drive out of this frozen wasteland. The temperature on that day was in the lower 40's. It's been way colder since. Maybe the grease on the slide mechanism (which shouldn't be there - thanks PO) is the problem? Maybe the slide still needs rail or height adjustment?

Any ideas?
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #2

Are you sure your slide topper isnt frozen solid? The slide is only supported and driven from the bottom rails - the only thing to hold the top in like that is a frozen topper. If you bring it back in all the way is there any slack in the topper fabric? If you stop it a few inches shy of where it's stopping, from the inside, can you rock the top of the room in and out?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Are you sure your slide topper isnt frozen solid? The slide is only supported and driven from the bottom rails - the only thing to hold the top in like that is a frozen topper. If you bring it back in all the way is there any slack in the topper fabric? If you stop it a few inches shy of where it's stopping, from the inside, can you rock the top of the room in and out?
The topper isn't frozen - it rolls up normally. I did try to rock the slide when it was 1/2 way extended. It was too heavy to move it much. I guess it's theoretically possible that the topper is resisting extension past the 1/2 way point. However, when retracting the slide from the 1/2 way point, the room stays at that angle all the way in until the top contacts the side of the coach and the bottom then pulls in. So if the topper is resisting extension beyond 1/2 way it seems like that isn't why the room is at an angle. It may be normal to travel in and out at that angle. I seem to recall noticing the angle while watching it extend from the inside when it was working correctly.

Another possible reason for not fully extending is that the motor is failing. At this point the frozen grease on the rails and rollers is my favorite theory.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #4

Hrm....no, there is nothing in the slide mechanism attached to the top or back (inside) of the slide at the top. The floor either has rollers or slide plates. The only place the room hooks to the slide rails is on the outside front edge. I still say the topper is causing your problems. It is entirely plausible that the first foot or so is not frozen - the tube may roll but the fabric itself is frozen together further in the roll
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Hrm....no, there is nothing in the slide mechanism attached to the top or back (inside) of the slide at the top. The floor either has rollers or slide plates. The only place the room hooks to the slide rails is on the outside front edge. I still say the topper is causing your problems. It is entirely plausible that the first foot or so is not frozen - the tube may roll but the fabric itself is frozen together further in the roll
That is a good theory. I told the DW that I can't do anything else to it until we're somewhere warm. At this point warm = anywhere the temps are > 50.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Well problem solved. And as often happens - the problem was me 94-Newmar it turns out that there actually is another way to hold the top of a slide in.

We have a cover for the RV. The first time the cover was used, a hole was worn through by the slide topper spring loader (my term). Here's a picture of one.

So I smartly fabricated a little cap/cover for the protuberance using a leather glove and duct tape. Did you guess already? I forgot to remove the little cap when I removed the RV cover. It got jammed between the slide tube and the side of the RV thereby not allowing the slide tube to rotate. At least I think that's what happened. What I am sure of is that when I finally noticed and removed it the slide worked fine again. Well at least it worked fine again after I undid all the adjustments I made.

So this is full disclosure on the very slight chance that someone else can learn from my experience.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #7

So it WAS indeed "frozen" solid... just not by ice and snow! haha ok good, glad you got it figured out.

Tags
slide