Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #1

Smile Slide slow to extend but easily came in

I have a 99 Southwind Storm 34 with a large front slide and a small bedroom slide. My problem is the large slide. It goes out very slowly and I have to run the engine to give it enough voltage to push it out the rest of the way. I also noticed that it would come in without having to start up the engine. Of course I checked batteries and connections and thought that I was looking at a replacement motor and or gear box and have been looking everywhere for these parts. Then I remembered that when I extend the rear slide there is a warning beeper that goes off, and when I extend the front slide I hear nothing. Upon investigation I found the warning beeper for the front slide and it was not working! Disconnected the warning beeper box and WOLA the slide now goes out under coach battery power without the aid of starting the engine. I think I have found the problem, I sure hope so.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbal View Post
I have a 99 Southwind Storm 34 with a large front slide and a small bedroom slide. My problem is the large slide. It goes out very slowly and I have to run the engine to give it enough voltage to push it out the rest of the way. I also noticed that it would come in without having to start up the engine. Of course I checked batteries and connections and thought that I was looking at a replacement motor and or gear box and have been looking everywhere for these parts. Then I remembered that when I extend the rear slide there is a warning beeper that goes off, and when I extend the front slide I hear nothing. Upon investigation I found the warning beeper for the front slide and it was not working! Disconnected the warning beeper box and WOLA the slide now goes out under coach battery power without the aid of starting the engine. I think I have found the problem, I sure hope so.
So did the beeper have a short, or was it maybe wired in series (rather than parallel) with the motor?

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh462 View Post
So did the beeper have a short, or was it maybe wired in series (rather than parallel) with the motor?
Not sure if wiring was in series or parallel with the motor as it looked like it came that way from the factory. Anyway I clipped the leads and removed the beeper and hooked up the leads to a 12V battery and it made a constant pitch noise not very loud.
So I assume that it may be shorted out. It is identical to the one on the rear slide and that one is very audible. Unit is a Hamsar model 21-097R
Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #4

Slow slide on Conway summit on hwy 395, Ca

I experienced similar symptoms. As I was extending the slide it slowed down so much I was woried about a fuse/circut breaker or worse smoke from the control panel,so I quickley shut it off called rexhal and they said the engine should always be running to assure overloads like that dont happen.
It had always worked fine with the engine off,but all it takes is once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbal View Post