Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Slide Still Creeping In

I've had issues with my front slide creeping. Had a mobile RV repair replace the solenoid which was very costly for the part. For two days the slide stayed put. We had heavy winds so I pulled it in. When I put it back out it crept in about 3/4 of an inch at the bottom in about 6-8 hours. Put it back out and it did it again. Ran it in all the way in and stayed on the button 2-3 seconds. Ran it out and did the same. Repeated it again to purge air. It is still creeping out 3/4 of inch in several hours. Can't afford to replace the other solenoid now on this trip. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwright View Post
I've had issues with my front slide creeping. Had a mobile RV repair replace the solenoid which was very costly for the part. For two days the slide stayed put. We had heavy winds so I pulled it in. When I put it back out it crept in about 3/4 of an inch at the bottom in about 6-8 hours. Put it back out and it did it again. Ran it in all the way in and stayed on the button 2-3 seconds. Ran it out and did the same. Repeated it again to purge air. It is still creeping out 3/4 of inch in several hours. Can't afford to replace the other solenoid now on this trip. Any suggestions?
you need to tell us more about your rv. you can do this by adding info in the signature area of your profile.
if you have hwh solenoids, loosen the manual release valve about 1 to 2 turns.
i have to do that to keep my rear slide from creeping out while we are driving.
after replacing the solenoid valve 3 times, i developed this system:
i leave the extend solenoid release fitting loose all the time. i installed fittings on the floor so that i can install a tie down strap.
i use 2x4 lengths of lumber in the overheads of both slides to make sure that they do not auto extend.
if i ever get to the hwh factory in iowa, they say that they can fix my problem.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Perhaps the wrong solenoid was replaced...
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Perhaps the wrong solenoid was replaced...
per hwh, i replaced both the extend and retract solenoids as a pair twice for my aft slide twice.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #5

Dan, my rv is a 2006 Minnie Winnie and the system is a hwh. He replaced the extend solenoid which is suppose to keep it out. After I posted it crept in about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch two more times...that's all and stopped. Each time I just pushed the extend button and held. The third time it has stayed out for about 8 hours now. Maybe air is purged. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Commercial Member

in the service manual for your system, that is available online from hwh, there is a section on the problem you are having. if the slide will extend or retract less than 1 1/2 inches, thats a good indication its the check valve, not the solenoid valve. a hydraulic valve failure will only let the room move one way,either in or out.
in the 15 years i've worked for hwh, ive found a few slides with this problem. when a hydraulic valve leaks, the slide will finally move about 4 inches to 6 inches total before the cylinder pressure is equalized. the extension depends on the size of the cylinders. the check valve is easily replaced. its in the manual. if you get a call back from the hwh tech, ask him about the check valve. he will need the AP number off the manifold, or at least the number of rooms controlled by that manifold, in order to get you the right check valve.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Commercial Member

the service manual, available from Welcome to HWH Corporation, has a section that describes the problem you are having. its the check valve.
if it will move both ways on its own, the check valve is leaking by. the hydraulic valve will only let it move one way. either in or out, depending on which is the bad valve
the check valve will allow it to move less than 1 1/2 inches. the hydraulic valve will move 4 to 6 inches before the cylinders equalize.

Tags
slide