Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide topper fabric

We got a lot of rain last weekend and about 2 gallons of water pooled in 2 of our three slide toppers. I was hoping that adding a couple of turns to the springs would tighten them up but after looking at the fabric it looks like new fabric is on the menu for us. They have streched in the middle section such that it will always form a place for water to pool. The slide toppers are A&E and I assume they were installed in 2006.

Questions:

Since it's a two man job and I don't have an assistant what would be a reasonable cost to replace the fabric on 3 slides?

There's different types of fabric. What's going to last the longest without stretching?

Are there other parts I should replace at the same time?

Thanks,
Muddypaws

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You might want to upgrade to an acrylic fabric if you will be keeping the coach for many years. Also drain holes could be added with brass grommets. Most of the other parts of the topper should be OK; just clean and lubricate with dry silicone spray. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Slide toppers

You might check out "tough tops" web site Ray is great to work with bought two last year very pleased with the quality, fairly easy to install.good luck.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

Your pool has been built no matter how tight you get the spring you will only tighten the sides and still have a pool. It the nature of the design no support in the middle.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

I woud suggest Sunbrella marine fabric. It is used in the marine industry and holds up very well. We purchased our toppers from ShadePro. They will make them to fit your RV and make them out of Sunbrella. Their website is www.shadepro.net. My wife and I changed ours. They are A&E awnings, and are relatively easy to change. I don't have any experience with the Carefree brand, so can't comment on replacing those. Good Luck.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks!

Thanks for the leads on fabric. I'm probably going to go with the thickest vinyl I can find because the acrylic fabric is not waterproof. I'm going to try doing the job myself, with or without an assistant. I think I've devised a way one person could do it alone but I may have to fabricate a locking strap wrench to make it work.

There's not much clearance between the patio awning and slide topper rails. Is it possible to move the patio roller 'up' and out of the way? I sure hope I don't have to remove the patio awning!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #7

I just changed our bedroom slide topper/cover. Although made by Carefree of CO., they are very similar. Our BR cover is also very close to our patio awning but it's not necessary to remove the awning...the bedroom cover is slid aft in the track.

I replaced the cover with the slide retracted. After removing the aluminum weather cover and end caps, I pinned the roller spring with a cotter pin(and taped it so it could not fall out) to lock the spring inside the roller at the rear of the roller. I then removed the recessed screws that hold the rear roller arm...slid it aft just enough to remove the the cover roller(after removing the two bolts, front and rear, that hold the roller to the arms) and slid the roller and fabric aft and out of the cover track. After replacing the fabric, just reversed the order.

I had help reinstalling the new fabric and roller...would NOT recommend changing it solo, especially when using ladders...it's just too bulky and you'll either fall off the ladder or tear the new fabric in the track. I suppose you might be able to do it from the roof if you have enough room aft of the track, but I didn't and at 235 lbs., I can't fly. Bob

BTW, next time I'll not have Carefree of CO make a new cover(Acrylic). At $160.00, I thought that was a little steep for a 3' X 5 1/2' piece of fabric. I'll remove and take it to a sail maker or fabric shop and have them make it out of Sunbrella fabric...it's also acrylic, comes in the same thickness but they guarantee it for 10 years and a lot cheaper. I would have had my cover re-sewn, but the PO had punched a hole in it.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adding tension

I need the strap wrench to add a turn or two to the rollers to increase the tension a bit. Also to control the roller when I remove the pins after installing the fabric.

The two slides on the driver side are both in the same long track. Those I can definitely do from the roof if it seems to work better than a ladder. But the passenger side slide is directly under the patio awning.

If I come up with a safe way to do this alone I'll take pictures and post them. It's going to be a few weeks before I can even start.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

This may help. http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/AE_topper.pdf Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #10

MuddyPaws,

The curb side slide topper under the awning isn't that difficult. We rolled the slide out about half way. My wife got up on the roof, and I got on a ladder. I unrolled the topper spring by hand and my wife inserted a small screwdriver into the holes to secure the topper spring. I then used a large screwdriver and opened the topper awning rail behind the topper by about 12 inches. She removed the holding screws out of the topper rail, then she pulled the topper out of the rail while I pulled the topper out of the tube. We reversed the procedure to install the new topper. then using vise grips I squeezed the topper rail back to its original shape. Hope this helps.

jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Thanks for the leads on fabric. I'm probably going to go with the thickest vinyl I can find because the acrylic fabric is not waterproof.
Slide out toppers are not to keep the water off the roof. They are designed to help keep debris off the roof; so as to not crush the debris into the gaskets if the roof is not swept off. This is why some upper end coaches use acrylic fabric and will install drain holes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fabric Choice

My preference is to keep the slide tops as dry as possible. The original fabric lasted over 6 years and I'm replacing it with better fabric that will last a little longer. I'm happy with that.

Tags
slide