Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide Topper Fabric Replacement #2

Just completed the second slide topper fabric replacement. The first one I did was last year with replacment fabric material from Colorado. Learned a lot from that project for the smaller bedroom slide topper.

So, how hard could the much longer living area slide topper be? This time I ordered the fabric from www.rv-motorhome-answers.com Their web site claims a heavier 15 oz fabric and custom cut for exact fit. We were a little disappointed at first when we found our CC account was charged shortly after we placed the order yet it took five days for the order to be made and five days to ship.

The new off white colored fabric looked like a million bucks and did look and feel much heavier than the original. The most crucial element to me seemed to be the size of the leader cords sewn in each end. Both cords were an exact fit. If they are too big you'll have a tuff time pushing it on. Too small and it will pop out of the groove. This product fit much better than last years Colorado material.

My tips: TWO PERSON-TWO LADDER JOB. Read the instructions provided the day before you start. Let the new fabric lay flat in a warm area overnight before you start. File the end corners of the grooves before you start for easier installation. A small squeeze bottle of dish soap squirted into the grooves helps a bunch. Go slow and easy when pulling the fabric on. Don't rush.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #2

I replaced my topper fabric last year. after starting the fabric into the grooves I fastened a cord to the fabric at each spline and tied a weighted bucket to it. That way I could feed the fabric in and the bucket pulled the fabric into the groove.That made it a one man operation.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I replaced my topper fabric last year. after starting the fabric into the grooves I fastened a cord to the fabric at each spline and tied a weighted bucket to it. That way I could feed the fabric in and the bucket pulled the fabric into the groove.That made it a one man operation.
BOB
That's some great ingenuity
Old 11-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bldrbob,

Very clever. But how exactly did you attach the cord to the spline without interfering with the movement of the spline in the track? In other words, what kept it from binding up? Thanks.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #5

I used a small C clamp on the fabric near the edge.I put a staple thru the fabric into the spline to make sure it didn't slide out.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #7

I learned a while back that there is much better material for slide toppers than A&E sells. The original and replacement material from A&E is vinyl covered fabric which lasts about 6-7 years. I used the A&E replacement topper and then later learned about Sunbrella fabric, The official website of Sunbrella® brand fabrics. My next toper change will be Sunbrella and it will be my last aslo.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We used the fabric from www.rv-motorhome-answers.com and were very pleased with both the fabric and the price. The instructions were clear and easy. My wife and I did it together and it took about one hour. The fabric is thicker than our A&E stuff we pulled off and were very pleased.

Dick