Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide topper.......help / suggestions

Not really familiar with the item, I'll call it a topper anti wind roll out device. My topper ends up in the same orientation with the slide fully extended. That creates the problem shown below. I think I can adjust it to a flatter position but it seems that would possibly allow the topper to flair some before the stop arm contacts the coach. I can't move the stop to the other end as the canopy is considerably longer than the slide. Open to all suggestions except cutting a hole in the canopy :...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	124508  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, that is a problem! Moving the arm orientation would be the "solution" to the awning interference but then you do have the wind problem. I might even remove the arm and see if it creates a problem with the awning unfurling. The arm might not even be needed. On our '02 DSDP the arm was held on with two screws so it was easy to remove.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
That doesn't look right at all!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

It may still rub.

You are correct! That arm is not right. Consider this, however. Even if you remove the arm, the awning will still likely rub on the corner of the slide. This is a common problem with patio side slide-outs, I have the same with my coach. If I want to pull the awning down for angle, I must put the living room slide in so it doesn't rub on the corner. This also gives more room on the patio but less room inside.. Mostly, I don't pull my awning down, just extend it straight out. Is your awning pulled down?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wow, that is a problem! Moving the arm orientation would be the "solution" to the awning interference but then you do have the wind problem. I might even remove the arm and see if it creates a problem with the awning unfurling. The arm might not even be needed. On our '02 DSDP the arm was held on with two screws so it was easy to remove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
You are correct! That arm is not right. Consider this, however. Even if you remove the arm, the awning will still likely rub on the corner of the slide. This is a common problem with patio side slide-outs, I have the same with my coach. If I want to pull the awning down for angle, I must put the living room slide in so it doesn't rub on the corner. This also gives more room on the patio but less room inside.. Mostly, I don't pull my awning down, just extend it straight out. Is your awning pulled down?
I felt turning the arm about a 1/4 turn would solve the problem. Thinking I might get a slight loosening of the topper but not a full de-wrap as a worse case.

My canopy is power and to the best of my knowledge (limited ) it has no adjustment function for downward angle. I don't use it very often and on the previous coach it was manual and it had adjustment for variable angles. i have not observed any contact at the far end of the slide but I'll check that out.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Does your anti-billow device align properly with the stop when the slide is retracted?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Does your anti-billow device align properly with the stop when the slide is retracted?
Not sure what that means. I assumed the arm simply rotated back against the coach if the topper billowed out. I'll have to take a ladder over to storage and get a close look.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
It's sometimes hard to accurately articulate meaning on forums. I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow if you haven't figured it out by then.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It's sometimes hard to accurately articulate meaning on forums. I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow if you haven't figured it out by then.
Thanks it will be Friday PM before I can get back to storage. Does the device have a brand name that I could research? I have tons of paperwork with this but nothing on the toppers and/or lock device.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I just went out and looked at mine again. The anti-billowing devices are all over the map in terms of their position with the slides open and closed.

Below is a picture I took a few years ago of one that was improperly positioned. As the slide retracted, this device would jam on the stop and not allow the slide to retract completely. I corrected that by repositioning the device so that it ended up in the 11 o'clock position.

I think you can fix your problem by repositioning the device slightly so it does not poke at the awning. Just check how it ends up when the slide is retracted so it doesn't end up as in my picture.

I would not mess with the awning at all. Just reposition the device and all will be good. All it takes is a couple of new screw holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AwningBumper.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	124627  
Old 04-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide topper.......help / suggestions

Remove screw and rotate anti billowing device to 11 o'clock,with slide closed.
spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I just went out and looked at mine again. The anti-billowing devices are all over the map in terms of their position with the slides open and closed.

Below is a picture I took a few years ago of one that was improperly positioned. As the slide retracted, this device would jam on the stop and not allow the slide to retract completely. I corrected that by repositioning the device so that it ended up in the 11 o'clock position.

I think you can fix your problem by repositioning the device slightly so it does not poke at the awning. Just check how it ends up when the slide is retracted so it doesn't end up as in my picture.

I would not mess with the awning at all. Just reposition the device and all will be good. All it takes is a couple of new screw holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider13 View Post
Thanks guys I think I got it. Keeping in mind the billowing would occur with the slide not moving the lever stop should always be about 11 or 1 o'clock depending on which end of the topper it is mounted (played around with a paper towel roll to check that). Some have said to adjust, drilling was mentioned, have to figure that out when I'm on the ladder. My toppers are a different brand than the above picture. All three of my toppers have the stop set at 12 currently. From what I have learned here I think 12 is probably okay for the anti billow action. The problem stop unfortunately turns exactly 5 turns with the slide open 12 to 12 my luck!

Will post results probably Saturday.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gotter' dun'

Had to re-drill some holes as advised above. Looking at the front of the patio side slide in this picture.
As I stated earlier my topper rotates the "stop" from the static "in" position to almost exactly the same orientation when full open. The old position in or out was 12 noon. The position now is 1:30 I could not go any more than that with out cutting some length from the rotating stop. It hits the aluminum extrusion that captures the static end of the topper, above the intended stop. I don't see a problem with that, it is sturdy enough and the geometry is good. The only solution is to space the topper mount out a little more from the slide wall.
I have a good inch of clearance now and the canopy does not touch it. I had strong enough breeze today to cause automatic canopy retraction twice and no previous contact.

Thanks for all the advice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	125142  
Old 04-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider13 View Post
X2. On passenger side anti billowing should be at 11 oclock orientation. On drivers side it should be at the 1 oclock orientation.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide