Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Slide Topper problems

I have a 2006 Minnie Winnie for about a year now. The front Slide seems to destroy the Hex Tubes to the SlideTopper. It would bend the hex tubes, and it seemed like the slide topper wasn't unrolling correctly. I removed the slide topper this past weekend when it jammed the slide from coming out. The slide comes in and out just fine, but... the back part of the front slide seems to come out faster than the front.

My question is to anyone else with a slidetopper, on a longer slide... does one side come out a little faster than the other? is that normal? I called Winnebago and got the directions for adjusting the slide, but it has nothing to do with how fast one side comes out vs. the other..

thanks in advance for your suggestions/feedback.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It is not healthy for the slide mechanism to not be in sync. Strain and damage can occur. What ever Winnebago told you do until both sides travel at the same rate.

Purchase this product and use it on your slide mechanics: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 11 oz Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Samster
What exactly did you do to fix this? On last trip last year experienced same problem with slide topper hanging up and twisting and bending the hex tubes. Need to fix this before our first trip this year and not at all sure what to do.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSter0077 View Post
I have a 2006 Minnie Winnie for about a year now. The front Slide seems to destroy the Hex Tubes to the SlideTopper. It would bend the hex tubes, and it seemed like the slide topper wasn't unrolling correctly. I removed the slide topper this past weekend when it jammed the slide from coming out. The slide comes in and out just fine, but... the back part of the front slide seems to come out faster than the front.

My question is to anyone else with a slidetopper, on a longer slide... does one side come out a little faster than the other? is that normal? I called Winnebago and got the directions for adjusting the slide, but it has nothing to do with how fast one side comes out vs. the other..

thanks in advance for your suggestions/feedback.
Samster, with the slide opened, post a picture from the side so I can see the mounting position of the tube. It is not uncommon for the wrong hardware to be used which mounts the tube too low on the slide causing the topper material to drag across the top edge of the slide out - this causes binding on one or both sides which gives the appearance that it's not un/rolling in/out differently from side to side. I have run across this numerous times from various coach manufacturers. The fix is to obtain the proper spacer plate to get the roller tube higher on the slide out room. In some cases the proper hardware was used but was just simply mounted too low on the slide out room.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I haven't fixed it yet . It got bent so bad on my last trip we had to remove it on the spot because the slide was stuck.. I have since ordered the ... uh, not sure what you call it but it has the spring, and the little arm the hex tube mount to on the ROLL. The little arm was so bent, I think it was binding every time causing one side to drag a little. I am actually heading out today for spring break, so I will get some pictures and post them when I get back.

Thanks for reviving this, the parts have been in my garage for a while... lol

BTW 94-NEWMAR, with the slide topper removed, one side definitely beats the other sliding out.. meaning it comes out crooked, but once at full extension everything is straight. I have looked and looked, but it appears there is no adjustment for how fast one side comes out compared to the other.. difference of about 6".. not sure if that is enough to mess up the slide topper.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

Samster, yes, the slide room not moving evenly (from side to side) going in or out will cause your topper material to roll up with wrinkles and folds in it. Over time it will wear the OEM topper material out - it's very cheap stuff.

Your slide room should have only 1 arm at the bottom center that moves it in and out. On either of the ends are slide/glide plates (if memory serves me correctly). You may want to inspect the bottom of the slide room and those plates to make sure they are both in place and haven't worn down to the mounting shoes - which would cause an uneven amount of friction from side to side causing it to run cocked at an angle until it reaches the end points.

Tags
slide