Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #1

My slide toppers are in need of replacement as the vinyl has started to seperate. I am considering replacing just the material instead of the compleate assembly as I have seen the material fairly inexpensive on e-bay and other places. The question is has anyone replaced just the material and how difficult was it.
Derek

2006 Permobil Wheelchair
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #2

My slide toppers are in need of replacement as the vinyl has started to seperate. I am considering replacing just the material instead of the compleate assembly as I have seen the material fairly inexpensive on e-bay and other places. The question is has anyone replaced just the material and how difficult was it.
Derek

2006 Permobil Wheelchair
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did both my main slide and bedroom slide. Don't try to do it alone. Don't forget the stop screws that prevent the fabric from shifting. All and all the project is doable with a couple of tall ladders and, I repeat, a helper. Instead of using a pin to hold the tension I used Vise-Grips and they worked well. Good luck and if you have any other questions you can PM me...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

For a set of instructions on how to do this check out the following link: http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/topper.htm
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I removed both of mine last week to look at getting them repaired. As others have said, it's no big deal for two people & two ladders.

I did notice the installation instructions mention stop screws to keep the fabric from shifting, but I noted neither of mine had stop screws installed ...no problems with shifting in the five years we've had the coach.

My toppers are relatively large. One is 103" wide and the other 166". They are Carefree brand. Replacements from Carefree are very reasonable at $103 for the smaller & $135 for the larger one. I know of some owners who have had new ones made out of different materials, but don't know that they paid for their custom made versions.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #6

I paid about $40 each for mine at a local awning shop. I just removed my old ones and took them in for use as a pattern and they made some that looked exactly like the old ones. One day turn around and no shipping or no hassles. One of mine was over 100" and one was smaller.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #7

Paul

To get your replacement toppers, did you contact Carefree directly? I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage and need to replace the topper on my large slide out.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Dave & Karen

Dealers I talked with told me I would find a "sticker" on the roller or fabric with the part # info I needed for replacement. It wasn't there. Finally I found the sticker on the metal mounting brackets, but it is paper and all the print was totally bleached out.

Then I emailed Carefree. They said all they needed was width of the fabric, and how far the slide extends, and I could go on their website to select what fabric I wanted. Then I called Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City. They did research based on my coach s/n and came back with sizes. I already knew the fabric widths, and the first sizes they came back with were obviously wrong/too small. They went back for more research and came back with the right size and replacement costs. The 103" one was quoted at $103 and the 166" at $135.

However, in the meantime I found a local awning/canvas place where we are south of Dallas that says they can restitch them. The fabric is in good shape (and there is plenty of extra on the length so they can cut a few inches off if necessary to restitch the end that hooks to the coach) and I hate to toss them just because of the stitching coming out. I have a date with the canvas place on Monday morning to show them what I want done, and the guy said they will do it while I wait.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Under the very last bit of the vinyl material ON THE ROLLER itself you will find a white sticker with numbers printed on it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what they told me, but nope -- not there on either roller. And with the amount of extra fabric on both rollers, there is no way it was there and fell off. One extends 21" and the other 30" and both have well over 40" of fabric.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #10

Thanks for the info Paul. I will call them directly for the replacement fabric. Sorry about the delay in acknowledging your response -- I have been traveling and did not have time to look back up on the forum until tonight.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #11

Many full-timers are using SunBrella and other brands of sun shade fabric. It's stronger than topper material,doesn't pop in wind,shades the slide room, and it doesn't sag with water in a storm, water will pass through, but not debris.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Well, the conclusion of my story is that rather than having mine restitched, I had the canvas/awning place that was going to do the work just make new ones. They asked me to drop by to be sure they understood which end they were to work on, and in the process I found side stitching rotting out in addition to the end stitching I was previously aware of. Re-stitching would have run me apx $75. For $150+tax for total $162 I got totally new toppers.

I did NOT get a sun shade type fabric as I don't want water passing through and lying on top of the 14' slideroom where it will come inside when we retract the slide. A few weeks ago I got a shot of cold water off the slide top and right down the back of my neck when I braked sharply! That was a bit of a shock for this old guy!!!

Now to get them put on! Hope to get to them next week. We had a death in the family and had to make a quick trip to Oklahoma, so are away from the rig for awhile.