Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Slide topper too tight

My slide topper seems a bit too tight causing the bottom of the slide to extend while the top stops about 2 inches short.
Is there an easy way to let out 1 wind of the torsion spring from one side?
or without removing too much hardware?
It's a Dometic unit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes and no, look for utube vids and follow instructions. HAVE someone to help and be careful those springs are dangerous or can be.

LEN

Old 06-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I wouldn't think the spring in the topper would be strong enough to cause the slide to not extend. With the slide out, lift up on the slide topper material to see if it still has some more material to roll out. My opinion (for what it's worth) would be a slide alignment issue, not the topper.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've heard of this where a tight topper prevents the slide from opening. Most people complain there's is too loose and the rain puddles up on it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with Lt Dan! I think it's pretty rare to find a slide topper too tight!

Our large slide is not level while moving out. Like yours, the top of the slide reaches the wall, then the bottom closes the gap to seal. It's been doing that ever since we got the MH and I think it's normal!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #6

Thanks guys, my slide topper looks to have more material to unroll, and the bottom extends all the way but the top never makes it to the wall inside for the seal to make contact, there's about a 2 finger gap across the top inside.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy_g View Post
Thanks guys, my slide topper looks to have more material to unroll, and the bottom extends all the way but the top never makes it to the wall inside for the seal to make contact, there's about a 2 finger gap across the top inside.

That means that the topper is not what's keeping the slide from extending all the way at the top. You've got to look for other problems!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #8

I had been looking and there doesn't seem to be anything binding, but I will do a more intense look. A little background, this RV, our first, was purchased second hand last year and I guess I had been under the impression that if the topper ran out of the ability to turn that torsion spring that it would stop, also the topper is very tight when extended.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #9

I would unhook the topper from the top of the slide and lay it back on the roof. Then run the slide out and see if it goes out all the way. If it does not, then you have another problem other than the topper.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseidel View Post
I would unhook the topper from the top of the slide and lay it back on the roof. Then run the slide out and see if it goes out all the way. If it does not, then you have another problem other than the topper.
That's what I did, and discovered my living room slide topper was too tight on our new 5er. Had the dealer unwind the spring 1 turn until the slide sealed at the top.
Of course, then it would pool water or snow, quickly learned not to be emptying the tanks when DW retracted that slide when it rained or snowed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #11

Ok, I hadn't thought of just unhooking the topper to see what the slide would do.

Would it not be a simple matter of just rolling out 1 revolution by hand to relieve the tension?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #12

I have replaced a few slide toppers. Yes you can wind up topper so far that it limits travel of top slide. Best to check is to run slide all the way out. Then while on a ladder try to turn topper roller. If it cannot be rotated either direction. Then it need to be unrolled at least one turn. Do not do this until pins are inserted in either end of slide topper. There some good videos out there showing how to do this. I do it with side about 1/2 way out.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #13

Thanks Ron, along with another inspection that sounds like a plan of action, I will give that a try and post results here when done. (probably a week or so depending on how things go these days)
Old 06-29-2016, 02:36 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I wouldn't think the spring in the topper would be strong enough to cause the slide to not extend. With the slide out, lift up on the slide topper material to see if it still has some more material to roll out. My opinion (for what it's worth) would be a slide alignment issue, not the topper.
Actually it can. My friends MH had an issue where the slide topper was dragging slightly on the top of the slide. This all but slopped the slide from coming out. If you pushed on the top while someone let it out it would extend properly. Come to find out was that the end piece (believe it's Octagon shaped) was not hold the topper tight thus allowing it to drag back towards the MH. The fix was replacing the holders and installing 3/4" stand offs plates behind the holders.

So check to see topper is dragging on the top, it will have tears in it. also make sure your slide running gears are properly cleaned and lubed.

Tags
slide