Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
But our problem occurred when a large wind gust caught us while driving. The slides were in and the awning over the slide unrolled and ended up looking like a large sail. Will putting noodles under the awning protect from that? Do you have to climb up on the roof and install them and remove them before opening each time?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
No the noodles won't work going down the road. That is only if you are stationary-parked. Noodles don't work that well against wind in my experience and that is why I retract the slides if I have enough time. Going down the road is a whole different matter. If an awning comes out while driving down the road it usually means that the springs that hold the awning tight are either missing or worn out. Most of the time when you hear of an awning coming out while driving it is the big sun awning, not a slide topper. I would suggest that you get an awning lock for the big awning if that was the case. For a slide topper awning I have no clue other than repairing the mechanism.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lots of discussion about that problem with carefree. I have had it happen on my carefrees summit XL full wall slide topper. Springs are there and adjusted but the 40-50MPH wind gusts down the driverside can cause it to billow. The main problem seems to be the extension of the material to the point where it finally gets covered by the wind deflector/cover. On my coach I have about 6-8" of material that crosses that gap which is where wind gets under to lift material. I have see a special plate that connected the coach rail to the material and that allows the awning material to fit under the cover. I can't find that aftermarket so may wind up fabbing one. Big issue here in the West, Mtn passes and wide open spaces are like wind tunnels. No fun when that happens. In windy conditions I angle my drivers mirror up so I can keep an eye on it while driving.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Last season on the Oregon coast, the wind came up when we were parked at Pacific Shores RV Resort. In the past, I've always retracted the slides when I heard the toppers starting to flap and make noise. However, on this occasion, I had just been talking to a neighbor and he recommended that I run a rope across the top of the topper (and slide) and tie it off under the slide. So, I did that to all four slides and as the wind came up and got stronger, the ropes indeed kept the topper from flapping. I thought this is cool. Unfortunately, we soon heard a big "BANG" and a bunch of other noise from the main living room slide out. Opened the door and the entire roller had broken loose and flopped over on top of the slide. If the rope had not been there, the roller would have flown over the top of the coach and probably would have taken out one of the AC covers.

So on one hand it was good the rope was there, but on the other hand if I had just pulled in the slides, it wouldn't have ripped the roller off.

Cost me about $250 in labor and a $12 part to fix. The topper was fine.

Pull in the slides...

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
This is why I decided NOT to have slide toppers on my Dutch Star. Don't have to worry about wind gusts, has never leaked in 4 yrs. of fulltiming. On occasion I've had to sweep off a twig or two, but it's never been a big deal. Just never liked the idea of having to get up in the middle of the night to bring in my slides.
I agree 100% with you. You never see slide toppers on a Prevost. If we ever order a new coach. There will be no slide or window toppers, and probably no awning. You get that nice clean look that way.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #20

I would play it by ear if your rocking and they flapping a lot consider closing the slide I've been through some good storms and not closed one yet.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #21

I learned the hard way last summer. Traveling through Michigan and staying at a KOA when we were hit by a thunderstorm. Tore the slide topper off the 16' driver side slide. The wind was so strong it literally pulled the mounting screws from the slide. The topper flipped up onto roof, damaged an AC hood, took out an antenna and scratched out some paint. Cost $2800 for repairs and a new topper. From now on, the slides come in if the forecast is for strong winds or storms.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
But our problem occurred when a large wind gust caught us while driving. The slides were in and the awning over the slide unrolled and ended up looking like a large sail. Will putting noodles under the awning protect from that? Do you have to climb up on the roof and install them and remove them before opening each time?
Does anyone have a solution to secure these slide awings GOING DOWN THE ROAD???
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Does anyone have a solution to secure these slide awings GOING DOWN THE ROAD???
For A&E see page 8
Attached Files
File Type: pdf slide topper AWNING SPACER.pdf (223.9 KB, 121 views)

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote