Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #1

Were away for a rally last weekend and when packing up to leave I encountered two problems that I'm not sure are related. After retracting my livingroom slide it started to creep out again( 3 inches)I keep the retract button pushed for aprox 5 secs to ensure a tight closure. I then had the front right jack retract only 1/2 way. Had to pry it. I find it strange that the two problems would happen together. Any thoughts?
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #2

Were away for a rally last weekend and when packing up to leave I encountered two problems that I'm not sure are related. After retracting my livingroom slide it started to creep out again( 3 inches)I keep the retract button pushed for aprox 5 secs to ensure a tight closure. I then had the front right jack retract only 1/2 way. Had to pry it. I find it strange that the two problems would happen together. Any thoughts?
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
How good was the battery voltage after this rally? Were you dry camping? Try it again while you know your voltage is 100% and let us know how things work.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:47 AM   #4

Suncruiser Ron, both the slide system and the jacks are operated by a common pump, motor, and hydraulic reservoir (HWH). Solenoid valves are what controls the action. Dirt/contamination in the fluid often causes failure on solenoids (they don't seal/shut off when they should). Suggest you check you hydraulic fluid level in the HWH reservoir; often times the dipstick is on the reservoir cap. If a cylinder, like the slide, is not holding pressure (leaking down), there could be a physical line leak (drip), a leaky cylinder seal (again wet/drip), or a bad solenoid. You can call Winnie Owner Relations or HWH and they should be able to tell you which solenoid does what. There's usually about 6 of them on top of the HWH pump manifold. Or you can have the wife operate the slide while you hold your hand on the solenoids; generally you can feel them "click" inside when they're activated.
As for removing the solenoids, it's easy (no significant fluid loss when it's unscrewed). When you pull off one solenoid, you'll see a little needle and seat on the end. When contamination of the fluid prevents the needle from seating, that's when you get your leak-down. A good cleaning/rinsing w/ kerosene or mineral spirits, and a couple of dunks into clean hydraulic fluid will be needed before you reinstall the solenoid.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ron, your Suncruiser has 8 valves solenoids on the top of the HWH pump/reservoir. On your model 4 of them control the jacks and are stacked on top of 4 more that control the slideouts. The jack solenoids have a tee handle on them while the room solenoids have an allen screw head. As mentioned, the first thing that I'd check is the fluid level. Do this when the jacks are up and the slides are in. If the juice is up there, it's probably in the solenoids.

The jack could be damaged (kinked line, damaged cylinder or seal, weak or missing return springs, etc.) or it could be a bootleneck in the solenoid not allowing that jack to come up. I would find out which solenoid controls that jack. The easiest way is to put pressure on all 4 and then carefully loosen a tee valve handle, one at a time, to see which jack comes up (as the coach comes down - so do this from a safe position). Once you find which tee it is, I would engage the store mode to retract all the jacks. Then, when the offending jack sticks, I'd open the tee valve maybe 1/2 turn. If there is a hangup in the solenoid valve the jack should retract. If the jack doesn't retract then it's in the jack itself, or the hose going to it.

I had a slideout that crept out on my 2003 Suncruiser, just as you did. Once I tightened the loose solenoid screw it was fine. These are done with a small hex wrench that is found underneath the HWH reservoir's breather cap. Then again, I also had a bad solenoid later on that required replaceing so it could go either way.

You have a 2003 Suncruiser. While Winnebago's warranty is only 1 year, HWH warrants their system for 3 years. If you determine you have a bad solenoid and you're coach is less than 3 years old, you can have your local Itasca dealer repair it under the HWH warranty. My second solenoid failure happened at 15 months so my dealer took care of it that way.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a bad solenoid on our 2000 and our slide kept creeping out. It is covered under your 3 year HWH warranty and they fixed ours. Good Luck
Old 05-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #7

You have a 2003 RV. The HWH equipment is warranteed for 36 months. (didn't know this until I had run out of my "box" warranty then checked. Go to Winn Dealer who will contact HWH and have fixed.
I had a major slide problem and took to dealer and HWH, after calling me to get details to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong, sent the parts to dealer to fix.