Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Slideout stabilizers for a MH

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone uses stabilizers under their slideouts when camping. Any pro's / con's would be welcomed. I am considering these just on my living room slideout, just to stabilize a bit of shake when we are walking around in the coach when camping. I will thank you in advance if any one wants to comment

Bill

bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
I would figure this is not a good idea if it is a solid or adjustable screw type device you are considering. If the coach settles for some reason or leaks down and this jack (or whatever it will be called) does not, would not that cause some strange structural stress on the slide and the surrounding frame it sits in?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Doc, a bad idea.

I don't recall seeing anyone use them.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most manuals specifically note to not use any supports under the slide out. If the coach settles, the support can put undue stresses on the slide out.

Ken
Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks Guys for all your input.

I am going to "scrap" the whole idea and just live with the small amount of shake.

Bill
Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If walking around causes jiggles, it is probably not the slide. You aren't walking through the slide itself, right? You may need to just put a bit more pressure (lift) on each jack to stop the jiggle. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, especially if their stick house has a concrete slab floor (no jiggle at all).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
If walking around causes jiggles, it is probably not the slide. You aren't walking through the slide itself, right? You may need to just put a bit more pressure (lift) on each jack to stop the jiggle. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, especially if their stick house has a concrete slab floor (no jiggle at all).
Thanks Gary

My feelings are that simple fact that this is a 3 jack system with just one jack in the front. The shaking is more evident in the front of the coach. Very little is felt in the back. The next time we camp I will try your sugestion. You are right we do live in a stick house with a concrete slab. The only time we feel shaking is when good old California starts to shake from "mother nature". DW says that she does not feel the shake when she is in the MH, but I certainly feel it when I am stretched out on the couch that sits in the slide. Oh well I will just have to live with it because I certainly do not want to cause any problems with the slide and the chassis.

Thanks again.

Bill
Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bill.....I have the same three jack system. I find that when I get a little shaking, it's usually because one of the rear jacks is barely putting pressure on the ground. I usually make a final adjustment, once I'm level, to ensure both jacks are down firmly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Bill.....I have the same three jack system. I find that when I get a little shaking, it's usually because one of the rear jacks is barely putting pressure on the ground. I usually make a final adjustment, once I'm level, to ensure both jacks are down firmly.
Thanks Don,

I will try that the next time.

Thanks again to all members. This is why IRV2 is the best forum out in the cyber world. Its you members who make this a great place to be associated with in this mh world.

Bill
Old 10-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The only coaches I've seen use jacks on the main slide are the Alpha brand coaches. I've seen quite a few Alpha coaches with screw type jack posts under the main slide. I think the main slide, on an Alpha coach, extends farther out than on most coaches.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
rek

Our Coach came with supports for the slideout. At least that is what I think they are for? I have yet to use them as no one has shown me how and I have not looked in the manual yet. They are not that long and look like they would somehow be cantilevered off of the coach?? They are about 18" t0 24" long and can be screwed in and out. I have see people use slide supports on trailers where thay were in one spot for over a year without a problem but I would be afraid as mentioned in previous posts .
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rek View Post
Our Coach came with supports for the slideout. At least that is what I think they are for? I have yet to use them as no one has shown me how and I have not looked in the manual yet. They are not that long and look like they would somehow be cantilevered off of the coach?? They are about 18" t0 24" long and can be screwed in and out.
Are you sure that those aren't slideout locks that fit on top of the slideouts to keep them from creeping out when traveling? Do they have an over-center cam-type locking handle on them?

They sound like the spring-loaded adjustable slideout locking bars that came with our previous Jayco 5th wheels.

I've never had an RV where the manufacturer supplied or recommended slideout supports. In fact, Jayco recommended that they NOT be used for the reasons described previously.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it's Windy.... The wind can push the RV back-and-forth and put unknown stress forces on the frame.

And what if you had a slide within a slide? Telescopic -> New concept

Slides that are a slide within a slide... Provides almost 50% more slide area

Once the outer slide extends, the inner slide continues to extend outward like telescopic.

Patent?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #14
rek

Rusty,
I looked in manual and it is a locking bar to keep the slideout in. Does anyone use them? I had three slide outs in our fifth wheel and never had any locking bars although one of our slides did start to come out when stored for a long period on unlevel ground.