Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Question Slideout will not extend/retract sometimes. Please Help

I own a 1999 Fourwinds Windsport 35' Class A Gas motorhome, and the slideout has a DMI pump on it. The problem i am having is sometimes when i press the extend or retract button the pump comes on and the slideout will move about 1 or 2 inches and then will no longer move, after i play with it for a while it will finally work like it should. First i thaught it was low on fluid, i checked it and it was full. Next i was told that if i have a dead coach battery it will make the slideout act up, I replaced BOTH batteries and that was not the problem. I am stumped on what it might be, can someone please help me.

Thanks very much for any/all help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Are you able to use a multi-meter to check voltages at the switch, controller or relay and motor? Have someone activate the slide out and check for voltage at the motor. If you hav voltage, tap on the motor to see if it will start. Check electrical connection; both positive and ground to frame. If you do not have any voltage back up the the controller, relay or switch (depending on design of system) and verify that you have good voltage leaving one or all of these. Let us know what you find.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slideout

We had a 2000 Windsport, had same problem and it turned out to be bad wire connections which are tucked behind the motor. Have someone operate the switch while you move the wires gentley. I took connections apart, cleaned and put back together. Never had any more trouble.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I am sorry i did not say in my original post, the motor comes on and continues to run but the slideout will only move about 1 or 2 inches. I have sprayed all the rails and any moving part that the slideout has on it. After i try to go in and out with the slideout for a little while it will eventually go out. It kinda acts like it is catching on something but i have looked all over the place and can not find anything, unless there is something i am missing.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Go to the pump and make sure the valve is closed. If open, fluid will take the path of least resistance and may not push the piston for the slide out. Normally, the hydraulics are very powerful and about the only thing to stop it will be the piston travel length.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Go to the pump and make sure the valve is closed. If open, fluid will take the path of least resistance and may not push the piston for the slide out. Normally, the hydraulics are very powerful and about the only thing to stop it will be the piston travel length.
I checked the valve and is was closed all the way. When i hold the button down the pump runs continuously but the slideout only moves 2 inches. I did notice yesterday when i was messing with it that the front side (closest to driver) is the only side that tries to push out.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Alright, now that we are getting the information we need (Please give as much as psooible, more than needed) we can better diagnose the problem. If you have more than one hydraulic piston pushing or pulling the mechanism, there is probably a third piston to equalize the pressure of the two. You are going to have to get a gage to measure the pressure of the system and a tee fitting that will tap the gage into various places. The diagnosis will find the problem. Measure the pump output pressure and compare to pressures going into each front and rear slide out pistons. If unequal, the equalizer piston is defective or a line is restricted. Look for a crushed line and/or measure the output of the equalizer piston. What do you find? If the pressures are the same for both front and rear, then you have a bad rear piston.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Alright, now that we are getting the information we need (Please give as much as psooible, more than needed) we can better diagnose the problem. If you have more than one hydraulic piston pushing or pulling the mechanism, there is probably a third piston to equalize the pressure of the two. You are going to have to get a gage to measure the pressure of the system and a tee fitting that will tap the gage into various places. The diagnosis will find the problem. Measure the pump output pressure and compare to pressures going into each front and rear slide out pistons. If unequal, the equalizer piston is defective or a line is restricted. Look for a crushed line and/or measure the output of the equalizer piston. What do you find? If the pressures are the same for both front and rear, then you have a bad rear piston.
I will put a guage on it next week when i get back home from the deer camp. But the thing is that my motorhome only has ONE cylinder that pushes the slideout. I am sorry for not giving all the information that i have, i am new to the motorhome stuff and kinda retarded when it comes to working on them, I can build a racecar but i do not understand a motorhome.