Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Our hydrolic jacks also operate with engine running and parking brake engaged. Engine must be off for slides to operate.

Slides and jacks one day stopped working, problem was also a loose connection at pump.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I often pull out on the highway with the HWH system still operating. One or two jacks may be a 1/2" or so from being stored. When the jacks are stored and the corresponding lights go out the HWH system automatically turns off.

I can also run my slides while underway. A few times, when parking with a close obstruction, I'll extended a slide and then finish parking with the slide extended.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I notice that many (though not all) who are saying their HWH system works with the engine running have Winnebago products listed in their signature block.

My HWH leveling system works with the engine running also. When I park in a site, leaving the engine running I drop the air, put jack pads in place, the start the leveling process. After leveled I put slides out, then turn off the engine. When I am preparing to leave, most of the time the last things I do are to start the engine, bring in the slides, and then press the "store" button on the levelers. Then I go outside and stow the jackpads while making a last walk-around. When I get back inside, the coach normally is aired up and and engine is warmed up sufficiently for departure.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Our HWH jacks will go up/down with the motor running, but not the slide. Different manufacturers have set up interlocks differently.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 AM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Clay L:
On many motor homes the jacks and slides operate from the engine battery. I would make sure the battery is charged and connected as suggested above and I would run the engine while operating them. ( That's what my manual says to do.)
True, but you can't run the engine for the jacks on some. This is how I retract mine when getting ready to leave. I just start the engine and by the time the alarm goes off and the warning light quits blinking, the engine has a least warmed a little to fast idle out of the campground.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Had the same problem. I now have a pump motor on order and hope to have all fixed by the end of the week.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #21

I always leave the engine running when lowering and raising the jacks and extending and retracting the slides. The parking brake must be set for the slides and jacks to operate.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #22

Why can't you have the engine running with the HWH system??? I usually retract my levelers and slides while I warm up the engine. Is this not a good idea?

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
As soon as you start the engine, my jacks retract along with the alarm and blinking red light, so when you see all those scrapes on the pavement at the campground, they weren't made by my rig.
The slide doesn't seem to care what you do, so we're careful not to take off, while the slide is between two trees
This would not be a good thing.
I think as long as you're fairly level, you can operate the slide with no ill effects, whether the engine is running or not.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Why can't you have the engine running with the HWH system???
That is exactly what HWH recommends you do ...run the engine when operating the jacks and slides. According to a tech at Winnebago GNR a couple of years ago, that puts the power load more on the engine alternator than on the batteries. My jacks do NOT automatically activate when I start the engine ...maybe that is a National thing, but not on any Winnebago that I am aware of.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #25

I was "trained" on delivery of my coach to leave the engine running while putting the jacks down/up and slides in/out. Never thought there was another "way". Interesting!

A fellow rv'er friend of mine has a 39 Discovery. Samething: runs the engine while leveling/slides out/in. And yes, we both have to have the p-brake engaged.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
We can't put the slides out without the jacks down - - and can't put the jacks down until the air has been dumped. So engine shut down, dump air, level, slide out. Reverse order to get ready to go except that we can start engine and store jacks if we want. Don't do that when it is cold because we have an old jack (will replace spring this summer) that takes a while to come up and don't want the engine running that long before heading out.

It all depends upon how the unit was built - different manufacturers had different way of doing things.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #27

In this case, I don't like automation. On my Coach, you can run the engine with the jacks down. You can put down the jacks without dumping the air bags.

I like it that way. I choose when things happen.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote