Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #1

both my leveling jacks and my slides will not work. The jacks were down and both slides were out, I started to close the bedroom slide and it move a few inches and stopped the other slide won't move either. the jacks retracked but will not go back down,I checked the fluid in the HWH unit and the fuses both ok. what should I check next ??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #2

Just went through a similar problem with my coach. Check electrical - in particular power to the solenoids for the unit - they are located on the pump motor. My pump/resevious (can't spell) unit is on driver's side immediately behind the main slide on that side. Yours may be under the steps or elsewhere. If you have power to the solenoids, check for voltage at the pump motor terminal (12v) by probing the terminal while someone presses the slide retract switch. If power at the solenoid, you'll hear it click when you press the switch. If you have voltage at the motor when this is done, then you have a bad pump motor.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
03 Ultimate Advantage

robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem two years ago, it was a bad internal electrical ground in the one of the solenoids mounted on the pump. The HWH system operates by completing the ground circuit for the function selected. We found my problem, with the help of Randy at HWH Tech Services, by grounding out each terminal on the solenoids while DW held the manual jack extend switch. When I touched the terminal with the bad internal connection, the pump motor activated and the selected jack deployed as advertised. You did not give any information about your coach or the Model HWH system on it. Mine is the 625 series with the see through trouble shooting panel on the front of the hydraulic motor package. You can trouble shoot the system by observing the LED's which light up while someone holds one of the manual jack activation arrows on the control panel. You can look at or down load the appropriate instructions from the HWH website.

Retracting the jacks manually by opening the valves on the solenoids is fairly straight forward. The slides are another problem. Your owners manual should have an HWH manual as part of the package.

Robb, you beat me by a few minutes. I hope we helped him, I know I could have used this information when I had my troubles.

Toad - "08 Ford Taurus X
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Check for loose cables at the pump.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Racenut8, welcome to our website and forums. We are glad to have you join us here. Can you give us more informations as to year, make and model of coach you have and if you can tell us the model of HWH system you have. We take it that you have the key on, good battery voltage and the brake is set.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #6

Racenut8,make sure the switch for the batteries are not off. The switch is usually at the steps. Also as R V Wizard has said check to see if emergency brake is set,you might try resetting it.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On many motor homes the jacks and slides operate from the engine battery. I would make sure the battery is charged and connected as suggested above and I would run the engine while operating them. ( That's what my manual says to do.)
Old 02-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #8

here is some added info on my problem,I do here a clicking sound coming from under the hood where the pump is located when I try to operate my slides,also it's a HWH 200 series system on a 2002 Winnebago Brave 32ft on a Workhorse Chassie
Old 02-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Mine would click also. Have someone hold either a slide activation switch or manual jack activation switch while you ground out the terminals on the solenoids that have the battery cables run to them. The power has to go through the solenoids before it goes to the pump motor.

Toad - "08 Ford Taurus X
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You cannot have engine running on a HWH system but ignition must be turned on. You can and should run the engine on Power Gear, Atwood and LCI (Lippert) systems. Check for voltage at solenoid and motor when someone activates the touch pad.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by RV Wizard:
You cannot have engine running on a HWH system but ignition must be turned on.
I can run my HWH system with the engine running. On ocassion I have extended a slide while backing in to make certain I cleared an obstruction.

My Winnebago (Itasca) manual recommends running the engine while operating the HWH system because of the very high amperage draw of the system.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I also run my engine while operating the HWH pump system. Last summer I had a similar failure of my pump motor with the slide out and jacks up. Took a few weeks to get it replaced.
Fossilhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have yet to see a HWH leveling system work with the engine running. I have seen and understand that a slide out maneuver would be while engine is running. I have always thought it was a safety issue not to have the levelers usable while the coach was under way.
I could very well be wrong in my observations, as I have not see them all, just a few thousand.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My HWH jacks will operate with engine running as long as park brake is set. The slide motors will not operate if engine is running. Had similar problem but found it was loose connector at the HWH control panel by reservoir. Cleaned it up and secured it all works fine.