Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

Slides- do they need to be fully extended?

I searched through 4 pages and 180 results under the word SLIDES, but could not find an answer.
Question is, do the slides need to be fully extended or retracted to use?

Sometimes where we park, we do not have enough room to fully extend our slide. So, would it hurt the slide if we only extended it half way?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
With the slides partly deployed you don't have a seal to the outside, you can see daylight at the sides of the opening. This will cause bugs and loss of A/C in the summer and loss of heat in the winter. I don't think the slides would be very stable for use in this situation.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just my opinion but YES it would "hurt" the slide to use while extended half way. The "extended portion" (leveraged weight) would only be held up by the extending device with no help from the wall frame. Then depending on the weight of people/furniture etc. it could damage the mechanics.
Also, how about the wind and rain as most slides only truly seal at fully out or in......
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #4

The slides are only sealed when fully extended or fully retracted. There will be an issue with trying to keep a constant temperature and keeping the bad weather out. It's like leaving a window open during a rain storm or when trying to heat or cool the interior. Due to the fact that nothing is sealed there might also be an issue with critters getting in.

Be sure to read through your manual about the procedure for extending and retracting the slides. Our manual specifically states that the slides should be fully extended before they can be retracted. We have an HWH hydraulic system with an equalizing cylinder to make sure both extend/retract cylinders go in and out at the same rate. If the slide isn't fully extended before you attempt to retract it the cylinders could be out of balance and cause the slide to bind.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My manual stated to always extend fully and if the extension was stopped for any reason, to complete the extension process before retracting the slide.

My bedroom slide was making a popping sound while moving in slightly while we were in bed. HWH says that is caused by air in the lines and that we should always run a slide pump for about three seconds once it is in or out to fully pressurize the circuit.

My take on this is that's also why they want the complete cycle on deployment to avoid air pockets in the lines. The other replies regarding structure and weather seal sound appropriate, too.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #6

Question answered.
Thanks guys.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I searched through 4 pages and 180 results under the word SLIDES, but could not find an answer.

Sometimes where we park, we do not have enough room to fully extend our slide. So, would it hurt the slide if we only extended it half way?
If you can't fully extend your slide then use it with the slide in, like you would do if boondocking for the night at Wally-World. Think about using something that is teetering on the side of your rig, which is what you would be doing - - how safe would that be.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post

When I extend my slides, the last 4 or so inches are raised so the slide can rest on a support. I wouldn't use a slide that is missing that support.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Occasionally we will be in a spot that doesn't have room for a full extension and have put them out as far as space would allow.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When stopping briefly, say in a rest area for lunch, I will extend what slides I need to whatever limit imposed by the space I am in. Key word briefly. Never a problem
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #11

Both Monaco and HWH state that you should never stop the travel in the middle. Once you start slide moving you have to complete the travel before reversing direction. Also other than the air leaks as previously stated the slides are not fully supported unless locked all the way out or in. You might get away with half travel for a period of time but I believe HWH have learned from all the customers on what breaks them and what doesn't.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My slides are powered by electric motors. When I'm at the stick house and I don't want to put the MH up on the ramps I have built, I will extend the super slide about 12 inches.(They go out a total of 25 inches.) This allows us to get into the pantry, and for DW to have full access to her closet. I have an 8 inch slope to my driveway. To extend that slide fully puts a lot of strain on the mechanisms when it is not level. Putting it out to 12 inches has never hurt it.

Once on travel we had a failure of the "slide locks" and it cause the slide to bind. We could put it out that same 12 inches, but any more than that and we needed assistance to get the slide back in with someone pushing on it from the outside. So for several days until we could get to a place that could repair it (didn't know what the problem was at that specific time) I used it with the slide partially extended. In this ode the bed sits on a set of rails and is fully supported, and the slide is fully supported on the glide pads. I never had a problem using this configuration.

I watch the weather and should it appear to maybe rain I would leave the slide in versus extending only partially in order to provide a solid seal.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #13

My slides are electric. If you stop part way out, the next press of the button retracts them. If your kitchen is one slide, the weight will never change regardless of where it is so that shouldnt be a problem. It wont be as well sealed, but...

If all else fails, dig out the spanish novel about a guy named Manuel.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT

I was told to fully extend slides. Partial has a damaging effect on the supporting rails. Manual says nothing about partial extension.

Good luck
Yondog is offline   Reply With Quote